EU Citizens e-residency process & Health Care info.

yes it does work sometimes they forget and you end up going to collect the cards  they may even have lost the application - i hope not

JV321 wrote:

QQ guys,

My wife is an EU citizen and applied for an ID card back in July, but it's never shown up. I know other people that applied AFTER her and have gotten theirs already.

We are a bit concerned it's gotten lost somewhere. What is the best way to chase it up, or should we just continue to wait?

@JV321

I am sorry to hear that.

Doesn't the receipt that the Maltese authorities ought to have issued to your EU wife on having registered for her e'-Resident Card' suffice as proof of residence for her day-to-day needs?

Which impediments or institutional difficulties, if any, has she experienced as a result of not being in actual possession of her original ‘e-Residence Card'?

Hi all!
I am in some need of guidance and have a few questions I would need help and get answered.

My story is as this.
In 2012 I applied and got issued a Maltese ID card. However I never got this in my hand, as I never received it but I know that it is currently registered in the Maltese database after requesting a police conduct for my office (End of 2013).

With this I therefor assume that I am technically registered as a Maltese residence.
Since then, I have however not re-applied for a new E-residence card at the switch due to the lengthy discussions on all the delays and issues that happened after this and due to the honest fact that I neither did need it or remembered to get it sorted.

I will however now sort it out and have 2 questions.
1. Can anything happen as I have not applied for new residence card? Is it illegal to stay in Malta without the E-residence card?
2. Am I "registered" as a Maltese citizen or do I no longer exist in the database after the complete switch over to the new E-residence card?

Thank you

Sols wrote:

Hi all!
I am in some need of guidance and have a few questions I would need help and get answered.

My story is as this.
In 2012 I applied and got issued a Maltese ID card. However I never got this in my hand, as I never received it but I know that it is currently registered in the Maltese database after requesting a police conduct for my office (End of 2013).

With this I therefor assume that I am technically registered as a Maltese residence.
Since then, I have however not re-applied for a new E-residence card at the switch due to the lengthy discussions on all the delays and issues that happened after this and due to the honest fact that I neither did need it or remembered to get it sorted.

I will however now sort it out and have 2 questions.
1. Can anything happen as I have not applied for new residence card? Is it illegal to stay in Malta without the E-residence card?
2. Am I "registered" as a Maltese citizen or do I no longer exist in the database after the complete switch over to the new E-residence card?

Thank you

The Maltese ID for expats ceased to be valid in 2015 (I think) and the eResidence is mandatory!
You have been OK as far as the EU is concerned but illegal as far as Malta is concerned!

You have had a Maltese ID but you have never been a 'Maltese Citizen'

I would be tempted to apply for eResidence and bend the truth about when you arrived here!

When you first came here I assume you registered for residence because as far as I know that was separate from the ID and also did you register for tax purposes as that is also mandatory!

Ray

Hi Ray!
Thank you for the reply.
I would assume so, yes as I remember getting all of the papers back then. I do Have a tax number and NI number and I am registered in JOBSPLUS since then and have payed tax since.

Would this still be an issue?

Sols wrote:

Hi Ray!
Thank you for the reply.
I would assume so, yes as I remember getting all of the papers back then. I do Have a tax number and NI number and I am registered in JOBSPLUS since then and have payed tax since.

Would this still be an issue?

I don't think many of the departments talk to each other so you are probably OK but I think it is a decision only you can make as to what date of arrival in Malta you put on your eResidence application.
If you were in Gozo I would have suggested you just pop in the office and ask advice from one of the staff there, unofficially, how you stand, but from what I remember of the Evans building they tend to be a bit less helpful!

Ray

Fionn wrote:
JV321 wrote:

QQ guys,

My wife is an EU citizen and applied for an ID card back in July, but it's never shown up. I know other people that applied AFTER her and have gotten theirs already.

We are a bit concerned it's gotten lost somewhere. What is the best way to chase it up, or should we just continue to wait?

@JV321

I am sorry to hear that.

Doesn't the receipt that the Maltese authorities ought to have issued to your EU wife on having registered for her e'-Resident Card' suffice as proof of residence for her day-to-day needs?

Which impediments or institutional difficulties, if any, has she experienced as a result of not being in actual possession of her original ‘e-Residence Card'?

Pretty much the main issue is opening a bank account. None of the banks are willing to look at her without one.

Hi all,

Would like to thank you all up front for your help as I have some questions around the economic self sufficient route to residence in Malta

1. I would like to take the savings approach to application. I can easily demonstrate that I have had over €23000 in my bank account for a married couple for quite some time. For a dependent however, all that is mentioned is that it goes onto €8.15 per week, is there a savings equivalent to this e.g. €5000 per dependent?

2. On the form J it says I would have to present an original copy of my passport. Will the passport be retained until the residence card is given? Is the residence card also a 'card' or is it a paper document?

3. My wife to be is a non-EU citizen, by putting her details on form F, she too will receive the residence card/paper?

4. Would I need to demonstrate that I intend to live in Malta for a minimum time period in order to receive the residence card? E.g I could say I'm staying for 2 weeks and then they may turn around and say sorry but you need to demonstrate you'll be here for over a year ...

Hope that all makes sense, many thanks for your help.

gsb17 wrote:

Hi all,

Would like to thank you all up front for your help as I have some questions around the economic self sufficient route to residence in Malta

1. I would like to take the savings approach to application. I can easily demonstrate that I have had over €23000 in my bank account for a married couple for quite some time. For a dependent however, all that is mentioned is that it goes onto €8.15 per week, is there a savings equivalent to this e.g. €5000 per dependent?

2. On the form J it says I would have to present an original copy of my passport. Will the passport be retained until the residence card is given? Is the residence card also a 'card' or is it a paper document?

3. My wife to be is a non-EU citizen, by putting her details on form F, she too will receive the residence card/paper?

4. Would I need to demonstrate that I intend to live in Malta for a minimum time period in order to receive the residence card? E.g I could say I'm staying for 2 weeks and then they may turn around and say sorry but you need to demonstrate you'll be here for over a year ...

If you intend being here long term then you apply as you stated using form J.

Your spouse as a non EU citizen would be covered by form F but there may be some query as to the length of time you have been a couple as the authorities usually look for a minimum 2 years as a couple. The income side does not come into it as the application is as a dependent.

Your passport will be copied but not retained.
Both of you would be issued with an eResidence card which is a plastic card containing your documentation in electronic form and your ID number.

Once you have the card you can come and go as you please.
If you were only thinking of being here for a couple of weeks why would you want to apply anyway!

Ray

Also the proof of residency, ie longer than two weeks, comes from presenting a rental agreement, which is mandatory.

Laz2016 wrote:

Also the proof of residency, ie longer than two weeks, comes from presenting a rental agreement, which is mandatory.

No, contrary to what is frequently suggested, there is NO requirement for a lease agreement / rental contract in respect of non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens OR their non-EU family members applying for an ‘e-Residence Card' / 'e-Residence Documentation' - according to law.

Fionn wrote:
Laz2016 wrote:

No, contrary to what is frequently suggested, there is NO requirement for a lease agreement / rental contract in respect of non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens OR their non-EU family members applying for an ‘e-Residence Card' / 'e-Residence Documentation' - according to law.

Regardless of all the EU laws you like to go on about, Malta still does things their way.

Fionn wrote:
Laz2016 wrote:

And contrary to what you keep telling potential residents, they will be asked for proof of address by way of lease contract or house purchase documentation.
It is all very well stating what is correct in EU law but if applicants turn up without this information they will almost certainly be turned away!
So you are not doing them any favours by telling them they don't need it!

Ray

The chap is correct. I am an EU citizen, they insist I bring a lease or rental agreement before I can get the card. In fact, we have also quoted the law, it seems to make no difference. They want what they want. If you hire a lawyer, maybe there's a different response.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:
Laz2016 wrote:

And contrary to what you keep telling potential residents, they will be asked for proof of address by way of lease contract or house purchase documentation.
It is all very well stating what is correct in EU law but if applicants turn up without this information they will almost certainly be turned away!

Ray

Well, different calibres of character apply: those who meekly roll over and comply with illegal requirements to their material detriment - and others, who don't, successfully ensuring that their rights are respected. It's entirely up to you to determine which calibre of character you are.

Fionn wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Ray

Well, different calibres of character apply: those who meekly roll over and comply with illegal requirements to their material detriment - and others, who don't, successfully ensuring that their rights are respected. It's entirely up to you to determine which calibre of character you are.

And then the others, who don't, and are unsuccessful in ensuring that their rights are respected! (and don't receive there eResidence card!)

Ray

Fionn wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Ray

I don't know about EU regulations regarding this but if you think about it logically I would imagine most countries would want proof of a commitment to stay in their country before issuing a residential id card otherwise there would be tourists turning up and obtaining an id card in every country they visited.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

Ray

And then the others, who don't, and are unsuccessful in ensuring that their rights are respected! (and don't receive there eResidence card!)

Ray

As I said, it's entirely up to you to determine which calibre of character you are.

Fionn wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Ray

As I said, it's entirely up to you to determine which calibre of character you are.

So stand up for your rights and not get your eResidence card!

Good advice!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

Ray

Good advice!

Ray

If this is your advice to members of this form, that is up to you.

Mine is that they adhere to, comply with, and abide by the rule of law.

This matter is closed.

Fionn wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Good advice!

Ray

This matter is closed.

This matter is not closed just because you say so, it is only closed if Admin say so!
Maltese law is what you have to go by in Malta.

Ray

Fionn wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Good advice!

Ray

This matter is closed.

It doesn't matter whether someone is a .22 calibre or a Magnum .44, the most powerful handgun in the world, they won't get an id card without the required documents.

Hello, I have some doubts about the Form J sections, for my father's registration, namely this;

The Permanent Address abroad, it refers to the last address which it has resided? or a valid address abroad to send documents etc? because the last residence of my father is now no longer valid, as it was a rented house.

Also, the date of first settlement means since when it has arrived for last time here in Malta? as he has been coming in and off the island, and the last time is less than 3 month. Will this be a problem?

They ask for bank statements, so in theory 3 month of bank statements showing the pension and various money movements will be enough?

And also, about the intended duration and the intended country of next settlement, can it be left blank? as we really don't know, in theory we will live here forever, but one can never know when! at the rate of pollution, traffic and overpopulation, I don't think we'll fancy living here in 5 years time!

MaltaCommando wrote:

Hello, I have some doubts about the Form J sections, for my father's registration, namely this;

The Permanent Address abroad, it refers to the last address which it has resided? or a valid address abroad to send documents etc? because the last residence of my father is now no longer valid, as it was a rented house.

Also, the date of first settlement means since when it has arrived for last time here in Malta? as he has been coming in and off the island, and the last time is less than 3 month. Will this be a problem?

They ask for bank statements, so in theory 3 month of bank statements showing the pension and various money movements will be enough?

And also, about the intended duration and the intended country of next settlement, can it be left blank? as we really don't know, in theory we will live here forever, but one can never know when! at the rate of pollution, traffic and overpopulation, I don't think we'll fancy living here in 5 years time!

As far as the last address in the UK is concerned, that is just to know where you have come from and is not for communication purposes.

The date of his last arrival in Malta will be OK, it should be less than three months ago as you have to apply within three months.

Three months bank statements should be OK but must be originals, If your father is in receipt of a UK state pension and has the pension statement which states how much he will receive every 28 days then that would do as well.

As the eResidence card is valid for 5 years and at that point he would be eligible for permanent residence under the current rules, I would put a minimum of 5 years stay and the next destination country as Malta, that's what we did.
Does not matter what you do afterwards!

Ray

Many thanks for the clarifications, they are very much appreciated :) . My father receives a spanish pension, so with the original letter of income will be enough?

Do they ask some proof of last arrival such as airplane tickets or similar?

So after 5 years you can apply for a permanent residence and you get a different card? what is the difference between the two?

Just want to have everything right so as not to have to repeat any procedure or having delays with it!

MaltaCommando wrote:

Many thanks for the clarifications, they are very much appreciated :) . My father receives a spanish pension, so with the original letter of income will be enough?

So after 5 years you can apply for a permanent residence and you get a different card? what is the difference between the two?

Just want to have everything right so as not to have to repeat any procedure or having delays with it!

Your fathers letter of pension income should be fine but as far as I am aware it has to be in English (or I guess Maltese) but the translation must be certified or notarised.

They do not ask for proof of arrival.

I really do not know what the difference is between ordinary residence and permanent residence, I don't think there are any particular benefits, though I assume it means you will not be thrown out!

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
MaltaCommando wrote:

Your fathers letter of pension income should be fine but as far as I am aware it has to be in English (or I guess Maltese) but the translation must be certified or notarised.

They do not ask for proof of arrival.

I really do not know what the difference is between ordinary residence and permanent residence, I don't think there are any particular benefits, though I assume it means you will not be thrown out!

Ray

I'm not certain but I believe there are benefits with the price of utilities being cheaper with permanent residency and having to pay less tax when selling properties.

Hi,

can one apply for the residency using Airbnb?

Any other solution to get a short term apartment that suffices for the residency requirements until I find a decent one?

You could try doing a deal with a landlord who has holiday lets and see if he would do a shorter term with a simple 'contract' out of season. Perhaps a 6 month let with an option to leave after 3 months. Then you would be able to show proof of residence, which is all they require.

(Fully aware that the EU law does not require this, but Malta does!)

Ray

Yeah i guess i have to try that way. Does anyone know a decent landlord / agency that they could recommend for something like this?

F0xgl0ve wrote:
gsb17 wrote:

Hi all,

If you intend being here long term then you apply as you stated using form J.

Your spouse as a non EU citizen would be covered by form F but there may be some query as to the length of time you have been a couple as the authorities usually look for a minimum 2 years as a couple. The income side does not come into it as the application is as a dependent.

Your passport will be copied but not retained.
Both of you would be issued with an eResidence card which is a plastic card containing your documentation in electronic form and your ID number.

Once you have the card you can come and go as you please.
If you were only thinking of being here for a couple of weeks why would you want to apply anyway!

Ray

Is this query of not being married for two years or not being in a relationship. We have been in conjugal relationship for over 2 years (demonstrable through whatsapp, photos etc) ... but not married for 2 years. Is this a showstopper?

Has anybody with a dependent also tried for the residency card?

Hello,

I have a question ref Family reunitification sponshorship visa.
I have been issued My ID (no eu) residence & work permit.
Now, in order  for my husband to get residency through me, what form do i need to fill ?
I have found Form G and CEA/22.
And how much time it needs to pass until I can apply for him?
Do I need to pay tax for some time or I can apply straighaway?

Thank you,
Tatjana

Hi all.
Does anyone have any idea, if I play poker for a living and like to move to Malta is it more complicated to stay in Malta for a longer time and to apply  Malta E-id card? Do i just need to have registrered address and apply or am I going to need to prove also my income?( its quite hard to prove a poker income for me)

hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm in a long distance relationship, with a Maltese citizen.
I'm hoping to move to Malta in the next year or so.
but I'm finding it very confusing on what i would need to do and what i would need.
all the information I'm finding is very confusing to me.

I'm a qualified health care assistant,with and NVQ 2 in health and social care link with the elderly. from the UK England.

any information would be great.

LDLove wrote:

hey all, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm in a long distance relationship, with a Maltese citizen.
I'm hoping to move to Malta in the next year or so.
but I'm finding it very confusing on what i would need to do and what i would need.
all the information I'm finding is very confusing to me.

I'm a qualified health care assistant,with and NVQ 2 in health and social care link with the elderly. from the UK England.

any information would be great.

At the moment you just come across to Malta find somewhere to live and apply for a residence card,
after Brexit who knows, but will probably stay the same.

At the moment, as a UK citizen, you can move here whenever you wish but what the situation will be after Brexit is another matter!
Any formal qualifications would need to be approved and ratified if you wish to find employment in that area.

As for what you need to do, it is all at the beginning of the pinned post that you posted on.
Your main options are as 'self sufficient' form 'J' or finding a job and applying using form 'A' (or self employed).
Whilst as an EU citizen you can simply move here according to EU law, you need to apply for your eResidence card within 3 months under Maltese law.

Ray

Hi

I m from UK. Planning to move to Malta.

Can you please tell me which area is nice for family to live and good schools. I have a son who is 13 years old. I need a state school mostly speaking English.

Do we have to register ourselves for residency.

Many thanks

Dilek

Dilek Kocagul wrote:

Hi

I m from UK. Planning to move to Malta.

Can you please tell me which area is nice for family to live and good schools. I have a son who is 13 years old. I need a state school mostly speaking English.

Do we have to register ourselves for residency.

Many thanks

Dilek

If you read the pinned post at the beginning of this topic that you have posted on, it tells you what to do to register as a resident!
As for schools, please use the search boxes at the top of the forum page to look for answers as the same question has been asked dozens of times and the answers are all there!

Ray

Thank you for the information

hi,
could you post the steps to take, costs and time frame involved for self employed?
many thanks.
berend