EU Citizens e-residency process & Health Care info.

??? I am a bit confused as to why you don't believe me that the rules have changed.
Did the old e-residence form ask you for your employers information?
Have people always been asked for theee months of proof that you are removing money from an ATM machine by keeping your receipts before you can apply as self sufficient?
I made it clear to her that I was an uk passport holder looking to work. She then asked me who my employer was. When I said I didn't have a job as yet she handed me the EU national Application for Residence Documentation form for Emplyment/self Employment that asks for your employers information or for the information for Self Employment.
I am going to try to go down the self employed route tomorrow as I have been talked through that by a friend that has been here for awhile.
I just don't want anyone else to be caught up in the same problem I did last Friday.

??? I am a bit confused as to why you don't believe me that the rules have changed.
Did the old e-residence form ask you for your employers information?
Have people always been asked for theee months of proof that you are removing money from an ATM machine by keeping your receipts before you can apply as self sufficient?
I made it clear to her that I was an uk passport holder looking to work. She then asked me who my employer was. When I said I didn't have a job as yet she handed me the EU national Application for Residence Documentation form for Emplyment/self Employment that asks for your employers information or for the information for Self Employment.
I am going to try to go down the self employed route tomorrow as I have been talked through that by a friend that has been here for awhile.
I just don't want anyone else to be caught up in the same problem I did last Friday.

can you prove sufficient funds to be self sufficient

Sounds as though they thought you wanted to apply as an employed/self employed person and gave you form A. If you want to apply under the self sufficiency rule then you need form J

This one:   https://identitymalta.com/wp-content/up … rm-J-B.pdf

You will need to prove that you have sufficient capital in the bank or a high enough weekly income (somewhere around €90, I think.), this can be done by bank statement, pension statements or pay slips etc.

If you have been asked to prove you have been here more than 3 months then I think is an error on the part of the staff member you saw.

Ray

Has anyone succeeded at getting e-residence in the last few months or have they made it not possable

i think this is a mistake on the part of the person you saw  i bet if you go again and see a different person the response will be totally different

We have found the girls in the Victoria office to be very helpful, the only mistake we know of is when friends were charged for their change of address a couple of years ago, they did eventually get their money back.

I found some useful information on Workers - residence rights – Malta which I thought I would share here.

On this page I read that "There is an obligation to register one's presence with the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs if one intends to reside in Malta for more than 3 months in exercise of a Treaty Right (article 3(1) of the Free Movement of European Union Nationals and their Family Members Order (LN 191 of 2007))".

My question is this: Does the 3-month residence period have to be at a stretch (in one go) or can it be spread over a specific number of months (if so how many months)?

i believe it to be continuous - broken periods dont count

That's what I thought. But it seems that neither you nor I are 100% sure.
Maybe someone has the right/official information?

i say this as you could be in malta for 10 weeks and then leave for a fortnight or even one day and the clock starts ticking again....

I think this is pretty clear
There is an obligation to register one's presence with the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs if one intends to reside in Malta for more than 3 months in exercise of a Treaty Right (article 3(1) of the Free Movement of European Union Nationals and their Family Members Order (LN 191 of 2007) )  or in case of job seekers after 6 months of residence. 

also from the identity malta pages
The Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs receives and processes residence applications of non-Maltese citizens who intend to reside legally in Malta for a period which is longer than three months

i believe it is a continuous period not an aggregate of stays

Or the instant you wish to buy a car ,even though you have no intention of staying for longer than a month at a time.

That is a rather different situation, you need to be a resident to buy a car so if you are not going to be a resident, rent one, or walk or use the bus!
If you are that desperate to have a car waiting for you when you come on holiday just apply for your eResidence card and then buy your car. Nobody is going to worry if you are not here all the time and whilst you would have to register for tax you would not have to pay any as you would be below the 183 days threshold.

Ray

KittyMalta wrote:

I have just been turned away for my e-residence card as well.  Was told I have to get a job then can apply, but when I try to apply for jobs they ask me for my ID number!!!! or wait 3 months and prove I can take care of myself to get self-sufficiency.
I think this post will have to be updated.

I think you have been misreading the pinned post or have misunderstood information at the Ministry.

If you can show evidence of being self sufficient by way of money in the bank or a reliable source of regular income at the level required, you do not have a problem, you can apply.

If you can't, you could either come here as a job seeker or arrange a job before hand and then apply using form 'A'
You can come for 3 months as a job seeker and possibly extend that to 6 months. If you don't find a job I am not sure you can stay after that.

I was not aware that you need an eResidence card to get a job as the application form for employed persons asks for the employers name etc.!

Ray

The RHA is acceptable for sure - -  anything over and above that such as Cigna would i think be a bonus

Do you have to have a job contract and your etc form completed to be able to apply for residence card or can I still apply if I looking for a job as I'm waiting for my nursing registration to come through so I can work here no hospital will employee me until my registration is through ??

if you cant prove self sufficiency and need the job contact to prove you will not be a a financial burden on the state then yes you will need it

So you can't get residence card as looking for job my hubby has a job as non eu spouse the problem is me

Momojojo27 wrote:

So you can't get residence card as looking for job my hubby has a job as non eu spouse the problem is me

Has your husband got his residence card?  Can you not apply as a dependent?

I presume your hubby has a residency permit and a job then you could apply as a dependant of his = then you wouldnt have to prove not being a burden on the state

can anyone give me a clear answer or where to go for our unique situation:
My husband is a UK citizen but has been living in the states for the last 35 years working by having a green card. We want to move to gozo. Is he still covered by the national health????How would he get covered in Malta for health insurance?How would I as an american citizen be covered? Can't seem to get a clear answer.
Thanks in advance
DESPERATE TO RETIRE :)

I think this is a question that only the NHS or UK DWP International Pensions Office can answer with certainty.
The NHS is residence based not contribution based so the lack of UK National Insurance contributions may not be a problem but the fact you are not 'Ordinarily Resident there may be.
If you are not in receipt of a UK  State Pension ( I guess you are not eligible as that is dependent on NI Contributions) then that would rule out cover via the S1 route which would only leave the Reciprocal Health Agreement (RHA) or private health insurance.
You could try contacting NHS Choices who may be able to give you more information

Hi guys I am new to this forum and hope its not cheeky to also ask a question here. Hope u r all doing well and am glad that there seems to be able of help here.

I am a bit confused actually as I moving to Malta with my girlfriend who has been offered a job there. Basically I am an eu citizen and british and want to go to malta for at least 6 months and look for work there. I have looked at the residency details and I think i need to apply for the employment residence, am I correct? as I have not lots of savings is that an issue? I have also become more confused as I spoke to someone who came to Malta and apparently didnt register or get any kind of permit and he said we have freedom of movement and dont need anything. Can you clarify for me which residency I need to apply for please. Many thanks

As you are an eu citizen you do not need a work permit, whether this will change because of Brexit no one knows, once living here after three months you apply for a residence card.

Jonnylamarr wrote:

Hi guys I am new to this forum and hope its not cheeky to also ask a question here. Hope u r all doing well and am glad that there seems to be able of help here.

I am a bit confused actually as I moving to Malta with my girlfriend who has been offered a job there. Basically I am an eu citizen and british and want to go to malta for at least 6 months and look for work there. I have looked at the residency details and I think i need to apply for the employment residence, am I correct? as I have not lots of savings is that an issue? I have also become more confused as I spoke to someone who came to Malta and apparently didnt register or get any kind of permit and he said we have freedom of movement and dont need anything. Can you clarify for me which residency I need to apply for please. Many thanks

The person who said you have freedom of movement because you are an EU citizen is technically correct as that is what the EU says but in practice, you are in Malta and should abide by Maltese law which says that if you stay more than 3 months you must apply for your eResidence card.
You may be able to stay for 3 months as a tourist and then apply for an extension for a further 3 months.
I would just stay as a tourist and hope to find a job within that period and then apply using form 'A' as an employed person.

Ray

as others have said technically its three months but you can get away with 6 months looking for work - and its quite legal to do so...

Ok thanks very much people..taken a load off my mind.

Hi!
I'm going to apply for Ordinary Residence on Self-sufficiency basis and here are a few questions of mine:

1) I have statements from UK bank which they sent to me by post. They are not certified  anyway. Is it enough?

2) I will live at my friends house. Do I have to somehow proof that I will be living there? If yes, how can I do it if I'm not renting it? It's just my friends house.

3) I have read that I need a health insurance in Malta nad EHIC card is not enough. How can I get one and how much it cost?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1) yes

2) id think a written statement from your friend may be enough - but am not sure

3) The EHIC is only valid for emergency  treatment as a visitor / tourist for 90 days - once you are resident then its no longer valid and illegal to knowingly use it whilst resident. The routes are if you work legit then SSC payments/deductions will cover that requirement (proveable via paynotes or work contract)  if you dont then its the RHA (Reciprocal Health Agreement) if UK national and its available from the entitlement unit, the S1 form for state pensioners or expensive private healthcare....

Thank you Toon!

I guess I would have to buy a private health insurance. Do you have any recommendation where can I get it? For how long I should buy it, to get a residence card? Any ideas how much it can cost?

Laferla is cheapest I found cost depends on age.make sure everything else is right first otherwise waste of money.

most will need to be paid for - for at least one year - what you do after that is your call... as far as i am aware there are no checks on  your healthcare cover after you get your residency permit - however legitimate residency would be invalid without it and you never know when you might get hurt or injured or fall ill.....

I think ROCs & Middlesea do it as well as Atlas i think

Ok, thank you all. And one more question. Is it obligatory to have any proof of address in Malta? I know that EU law doesn't demand it, however I have also read that in Malta they want it while applying for ordinary residence on self-sufficency basis.

michal.majewicz wrote:

Ok, thank you all. And one more question. Is it obligatory to have any proof of address in Malta? I know that EU law doesn't demand it, however I have also read that in Malta they want it while applying for ordinary residence on self-sufficency basis.

Seek guidance from Ms. Marie-Hélène Boulanger and let us know.

She's the Head of Unit, EUROPEAN COMMISSION DIRECTORATE-GENERAL JUSTICE AND CONSUMERS - Directorate C: Fundamental rights and Union citizenship Unit C.2: Union citizenship rights and Free movement.

E-mail address:

[email protected]

And, being the EU, you may get a useful reply sometime!

Toon/Meinuk thank you for your expertise e want to move to Gozo:

1)# 1 concern is health insurance it seems as though you need to buy a private policy. Is that true????I have been quoted around $1000 annually I am confused to what that covers. Do most people buy a catastrophic plan to pay for hospitalizations & just go to the local pharmacy & see a doctor & pay cash for the visit & for prescriptions?
2) I am confused as to why he cannot get National Health Insurance since UK & Malta have a Reciprocal Health Agreement I was told by a Residency and Citizenship Advisor that ."If client is entitled for a UK pension please ask for an S1 from UK both for him and his dependent.  Upon registration of S1 at our office, a Certificate of Entitlement is issued.  This entitles holder to health care in public hospitals in Malta (same as Maltese)."
3) We were planning on applying fort the ordinary Ordinary Residence (OR) program any thoughts on that?
Our situation:
My husband is a UK citizen but has been living in the states for the last 35 years working by having a green card. We are looking into a UK pension since he did work for about 12 years before moving to the states.
Thanks in advance
DESPERATE TO RETIRE :)

1. SOME DO SOME DONT  - some simply pay for the first years then wing it after that = i dont condone as it negates the validity of your residency but it happens  - we had the RHA as its renewable every two years - when we lived in Malta for 6 yrs we had the RHA for the whole period.
Policies for private heath care have various levels of cover but generally will not cover pre existing conditions and are more expensive the older you are and get. I suggest you get quotes from Rocs,  Middlesea, Atlas, Laferla etc

NOTE i live in Cyprus now and we too fall in this black hole - fortunately we can get a simple policy with lower cover limits here that satisfies Immigration for €165 per yr  - fortunately we are in  good health but still 6 years from getting our UK pensions.... :(

2. the OP didnt say what his nationality is but i did  include the possibility of the RHA if he was a UK national with a UK passport - any UK national can have this as long as they dont work and are not in receipt of UK state pension but the downside is any EHIC you hold ceases to be valid once resident .... Further I included the S1 route if they were UK state pensioners

3 Ordinary Residency is what the e-Residency permit card confirs on people who apply for residency and is completely different to the Permanent Residency program.

4 if you hold a UK passport you can still get the RHA....simple

In terms of the address proof yes i think they do ask for it but am not sure it is essential - one could always "knock up" a lease contract between you and pay a nominal rent. that would suffice i think.

NB just asked a colleague of mine who has more knowledge in this regard and ive been told  = EU=proof of address NOT REQUIRED ..... Non EU=proof of address IS REQUIRED

you simply need an address as they write to you to confirm the address and you need that letter to claim / collect your permit

QQ guys,

My wife is an EU citizen and applied for an ID card back in July, but it's never shown up. I know other people that applied AFTER her and have gotten theirs already.

We are a bit concerned it's gotten lost somewhere. What is the best way to chase it up, or should we just continue to wait?

go to the dept and ask for it

Without the notice in the mail? has that ever worked?