EU Citizens e-residency process & Health Care info.

It means exactly what it says!

You are not covered for health care in the UK as the NHS is residence based and you do not live there. You are not covered in any other country as you do not have a valid EHIC

You are not issued with an EHIC by anyone and your existing UK issued one is invalid.

The only way of having a valid EHIC is if you pay into the Maltese Social Security system and have one issued by Malta or you have a health entitlement certificate obtained by the S1 form for UK state pensioners when the UK government will issue you one on request.

The RHA doe not cover you for long-term care and other things and services provided for under the Social Security Act and other legislation.  Not in Malta and not in the UK

Ray

Sorry NO its not ....its quite clear in my opinion - that once you have the RHA you waive your rights to an EHIC in bith Malta and UK and as such are not entitled to healthcare anywhere for free and limited other than Malta

Foxglove is 100% correct .

as he says ehic rights in uk are based upon residency and ehic rights in malta are based on contributions.  Thus if you are making contrbutions then you would be working and wouldnt be entitled to the RHA anyway

Wow, that's incredible. I worked in the UK since I was 15 and paid NHI contributions all my life and when I had my own business paid additional employee NHI contributions too.

I return once a year to the UK so if I was run over by a bus I'd have to go private unless I register for the S1. Insane!

Does anyone know the UK address to obtain the S1?

AM AFRAID THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS IF YOU HAVE THE RHA -

36 YEARS CONTRIBUTIONS MADE BY MY WIFE AND I AND THIS IS WHAT IT MEANT

LUDICROUS BUT THERE YOU GO

oh and absolutely no joy out of the EU

Laz2016 wrote:

Wow, that's incredible. I worked in the UK since I was 15 and paid NHI contributions all my life and when I had my own business paid additional employee NHI contributions too.

I return once a year to the UK so if I was run over by a bus I'd have to go private unless I register for the S1. Insane!

Does anyone know the UK address to obtain the S1?

As far as I recall, you request the form from the International Pension Centre in the UK :

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre

You can do this by phone quite easily and once it has all been approved you can then apply for a UK issue EHIC and you also have full NHS cover in the UK again.

Ray

Of course if you go for the S1 as long as you are entitled to it .... we werent then and still arent now as we are nowhere near UK retirement age... yet..... lol and who knows if we ever will be with the gov moving the goalposts on a regular baisis

Thanks to you both. I think I'll wait until my temporary certificate runs out soon and then see if it turns into a permanent one thus bypassing the RHA route. The irony of this is that RHA stands for Reciprocal Agreement Malta/UK which it isn't because you have to instigate all the silliness that goes along with it just to be eligible for free health care in both countries.

Toon wrote:

Of course if you go for the S1 as long as you are entitled to it .... we werent then and still arent now as we are nowhere near UK retirement age... yet..... lol and who knows if we ever will be with the gov moving the goalposts on a regular baisis

You young kids don't know how lucky you are Toon!!!
:lol:

Ray

Laz2016 wrote:

Thanks to you both. I think I'll wait until my temporary certificate runs out soon and then see if it turns into a permanent one thus bypassing the RHA route. The irony of this is that RHA stands for Reciprocal Agreement Malta/UK which it isn't because you have to instigate all the silliness that goes along with it just to be eligible for free health care in both countries.

And when your temporary certificate, assuming it is a properly issued one from the 'Entitlement Unit', it can be exchanged for a full 2 year one as you now have your eResidence card. It will still be granted through the RHA so will not improve your health cover. If you want full cover you have to go the S1 route, assuming you qualify, ie. in receipt of a UK state pension.

Ray

lucky  oh yeah so lucky i am weeping with delight and excitement

Do you actually have to be receiving the state pension or just be of pensionable age? I ask because I was 65 last November but have deferred getting it because I don't really need it yet and the interest rate it accrues is quite attractive.

must be in receipt of state pension i think but id say its a worthy question to be asked of the dept responsible

i just found this in google

You will not be issued an S1 until you are in receipt of your state retirement pension.

see this link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ … -care.html

Thanks for that.

So just to clarify as my brain is not as sharp as it once was, probably due to too much drink and drugs in the 60s, I have to be in receipt of a UK state pension to qualify for the S1, and once that is in force I will be eligible for full free health care in Malta and the UK?

yes - you have to register for the S1 and once you've got it  your good to go

And after you have your entitlement through S1 you can then apply to the UK for an EHIC to cover you on your travels in Europe!

Ray

Thanks guys.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

And after you have your entitlement through S1 you can then apply to the UK for an EHIC to cover you on your travels in Europe!

Ray

Sorry to keep on banging on about this, but does that mean my current EHIC card which runs out in 2021 is no good once the S1 is instigated? Then I have to reapply?

if you've been in Malta for more than 90 days your UK ehic is already invalid - you cannot legally use it  in Malta after 90 days

If you have the RHA the UK ehic is invalid

Laz2016 wrote:
F0xgl0ve wrote:

Ray

Sorry to keep on banging on about this, but does that mean my current EHIC card which runs out in 2021 is no good once the S1 is instigated? Then I have to reapply?

Toon is absolutely correct and as I said in reply to one of your earlier posts, your UK issued EHIC ceases to be valid as soon as you are resident here. You have said you have your eResidence card so you do not have a valid EHIC. ( Unless you work here and pay into Malta's social security system and have a Malta issue EHIC )
If you apply for and receive health cover through the S1 then you can apply to the UK government for a UK issued EHIC.

Not sure how many times you need to ask this but just read the relevant UK Government website!

Hi,
I have not read through all the posts. But I have a question about EU nationals and economic self-suffiency vs "normal" residency.

My plan is to become a non-dom resident. However, it is easier to just move there, take residency and pay myself for example a 1500 EUR salary from my own company and pay taxes and social taxes on this (the social taxes are surprisingly low) compared to applying. I am by all means economic self sufficient, but as far as I know I'm registered in Malta from the day I go to the employment office (?) without needing to apply for self sufficient residency.

Am I missing something here?

I'm no expert on this but either way you will have to register with the Maltese Inland Revenue and going the self-employed route means that you will need a social security number before you register. I don't know how long that takes to get though, it might be a matter of days.

The self-sufficiency based residence seems very easy to me so far. Once you have the health care part taken care of (either by private insurance or the reciprocal agreement paperwork if you're a UK citizen) you just have to show you have 12,000 euros in savings by printing out some bank statements when you apply for residency. Then you go to the Inland Revenue and say that you are in Malta on the basis of self-sufficiency, then you seem to be registered to pay tax in Malta. I am still in the middle of this process so might yet encounter some issues.

Good luck!

where did the figure of 12000 come from? as far as i am aware as long as you can show you have sufficient funds to live and not be a burden on the maltese state then the figure is irrelevant - especially so for EU nationals - but in any event every person living permanently in malta MUST register with the Immigration authorities within three months.....

I was told i need to show proof of 14000 EUR in income,nothing about assets, bank depsists etc, but I'm no expert. So this means I'm a tax resident as soon as I'm registered, even though I have not lived there for 183 days? My understanding of the self sufficiency is that you become a tax resident immidately.

Please let let us know when all is done :)

oddis71 wrote:

I was told i need to show proof of 14000 EUR in income,nothing about assets, bank depsists etc, but I'm no expert. So this means I'm a tax resident as soon as I'm registered, even though I have not lived there for 183 days? My understanding of the self sufficiency is that you become a tax resident immidately.

The figure was €14,000 in savings, assets, etc OR a minimum weekly income of €92.42 at the time the pinned post was written in 2014. for self sufficiency application. The figures may have increased slightly since then. You are asked to substantiate this by means of bank statements or wage slips etc.

An application for the eResidence card is the official way of informing the Maltese government of you intention to remain here. It is mandatory after 3 months.

If you take up residence you have to register for tax purposes regardless of whether you will be liable for tax.
If you spend more than 183 days here you will have to file a tax return.

There is a double taxation agreement with the UK for individuals but I am not sure if that extends to businesses.
As far as I know, your method of application for residency has no effect on whether you are resident for tax purposes, that is determined by the number of days you are resident in this country.

Ray

Sorry yes you are correct 14,000 euros is the figure.

Something which might affect you: You will not be able to prove to anyone outside Malta that you are considered resident for tax purposes in Malta until 6 months after you arrive, or specifically 6 months from the period covered by a local utility bill in your name. This is because you have to live in Malta for over 6 months in each year to be taxed here if you are under the Ordinary Residence scheme for EU nationals. After these 6 months you can get a certificate of tax residency from the Inland Revenue.

ianmalta wrote:

Sorry yes you are correct 14,000 euros is the figure.

Something which might affect you: You will not be able to prove to anyone outside Malta that you are considered resident for tax purposes in Malta until 6 months after you arrive, or specifically 6 months from the period covered by a local utility bill in your name. This is because you have to live in Malta for over 6 months in each year to be taxed here if you are under the Ordinary Residence scheme for EU nationals. After these 6 months you can get a certificate of tax residency from the Inland Revenue.

Most expats do not have a utility bill in their name, because they live in rented accommodation and the bill is kept in the Landlords name.

I have filed tax returns here regularly over the years but have never been given a certificate of tax residency. As I have no income in the UK other than state and private pensions, the UK Revenue and Customs department have removed me from the system and I no longer need to file a self assessment tax return. This came about by me simply writing to them.

Ray

F0xgl0ve wrote:
oddis71 wrote:

The figure was €14,000 in savings, assets, etc OR a minimum weekly income of €92.42 at the time the pinned post was written in 2014. for self sufficiency application. The figures may have increased slightly since then. You are asked to substantiate this by means of bank statements or wage slips etc.

An application for the eResidence card is the official way of informing the Maltese government of you intention to remain here. It is mandatory after 3 months.

If you take up residence you have to register for tax purposes regardless of whether you will be liable for tax.
If you spend more than 183 days here you will have to file a tax return.

There is a double taxation agreement with the UK for individuals but I am not sure if that extends to businesses.
As far as I know, your method of application for residency has no effect on whether you are resident for tax purposes, that is determined by the number of days you are resident in this country.

Ray

I was granted a year's lease from 29th March 2016 and actually applied for an e-residency card which was dated from 31st August 2016 at Victoria, Gozo, a time difference of about 5 months. Maybe I've just got a nice smile.

oddis71 wrote:

My plan is to become a non-dom resident. However, it is easier to just move there, take residency and pay myself for example a 1500 EUR salary from my own company and pay taxes and social taxes on this (the social taxes are surprisingly low) compared to applying.

this is more or less true yes, timing is complex because it takes some time to become ETC registered and all that jazz,

Indeed I opened a Maltese company before moving here, when we arrived we applied for ETC registration, tax numbers etc - it was December so it took like 2 months.  WIth those in hand we did a normal ID card application as employed people and it was easy enough.

It's quite drawn out but you're on the right track, I'd speak to a pro though.

Yes, i will contact a lawyer to do all this for me, but i would always like to do my own DD before i ask someone.

Source?

Hi Kateblank. You are referring to my posts?

Is there a way to be self sufficant and still pay social security for public health insurance?

As far as I know: no. Part of the self suffiency is that you can't do business in Malta. You are supposed to be pensioner, living off rent or doing business outside Malta.

I'm no expert, though.

oddis71 wrote:

As far as I know: no. Part of the self suffiency is that you can't do business in Malta. You are supposed to be pensioner, living off rent or doing business outside Malta.

I'm no expert, though.

Most self sufficient pensioners live off their pensions.

Yes, agree, but i hope most get my point.

It was a lawyer that told me you are not allowed to do business in Malta if self sufficient residence status.

Thanks for the answers.

So anoying, i cant go private insurance because then if i ever return to germany i cant get back in public health care easily and private insurance in germany is crazy expensive when you are old.

I guess self employed for what i need to live in Malta and a low tax company for my real earnings is the only way to go if i dont want all that bookkeeping troubles and costs that come with a malta company. :(