Native speakers or Viet Kieu are better in teaching English

Enlish is considered  global communicative language to people in the world. Especially, learning Engish becomes popular in Vietnam. Many English language centers have been flourishing well  with thousands of students attending to get courses every night.  That is a big business therefore many foreigners from US, England or from English speaking countries travel to Vietnam to get opportunities to work as an English teacher.

That is great when students can interact with them in practising English. Among the foreigners, a lot Vietnamese who was born and live in US or Canada  who called Việt Kiều want to come back and devote in teaching English in language center.

A rate/fee per hour belongs to who you are. Obsolutely 100% native teachers usually get much more salary than Viet Kieu or Philipino, even Vietnamese teacher.

Why so? If it is compared the native teachers to Viet Kieu who have the same level, language fluency, academic training and qualified certificates, every things are equal but the salary is never the same. Just because we are Asian looking, we are not blonde hair or bright skin and the most importance is that Vietnamese parents or students enjoy studying English with a native speakers more than a Viet Kieu teacher. They believe that Viet Kieu does not speak English so standardly and fluently as the native speakers.

It is true when happened to my friend, a Viet Kieu. When a HR officer made a call to him and interviewed, everything went right.  She was pleased at his American accents and decided to get him to the second round. When he came to see her at the office, after meeting and talking with him, she politely refused his invitation to be a teacher with a very simple reason: he is Viet Kieu. She told to him that her students did not like to study English with Vietnamese origins although my friend explained that "No no... I was born in America and I come back to work here." He was really surprised at her reply and extremely shocked. Now he got the job as an English teacher at a center and do tutor at his home but the lower rate than he expected.

I write this because I hope that once day even Vietnamese teacher or Viet Kieu would be treated well as the native teachers. They deserve to get the equal benefits if they are good enough in teaching English as well as high education with qualified certificates.

Here we go again...   :)

You have the answer already:  "She told to him that her students did not like to study English with Vietnamese origins".  Should the school tell their students they are wrong and risk losing those students?

Look, your Viet Kieu friend has other advantages in Vietnam that a foreigner like me does not, even though he and I were born in the same country.  If he also speaks Vietnamese, there are many business opportunities for him.  I would trade the potential higher wages I would be paid for teaching English, for being able to speak Vietnamese fluently, in a second.

Another thing a Native English speaker has, is experiences in things other than Asian, even though a VK may have been brought up in another country, he/she would most likely have lived an Asian lifestyle. I was worried that I was rambling on too much about some of my life experiences during an Adult English class, but when I commented on it to the schools owner, she said , no problem, it's exactly what the students want to hear, definitely nothing like in a text book.

Well, let's just be frank about it:  Most non-native english speakers really shouldn't be teaching.  I know a young girl who is being tutored in english by a Vietnamese woman, and the girl's english is terrible.  I had a chance to speak to the tutor, and, just as I expected, her english isn't much better.  I could communicate with her, but I wouldn't consider it a conversation.

So, you also teach, bluenz?  I haven't considered it in the past, but my Vietnamese friends suggest I should.  It just seems like a lot of work. :)

DanFromSF wrote:

Well, let's just be frank about it:  Most non-native english speakers really shouldn't be teaching.  I know a young girl who is being tutored in english by a Vietnamese woman, and the girl's english is terrible.  I had a chance to speak to the tutor, and, just as I expected, her english isn't much better.  I could communicate with her, but I wouldn't consider it a conversation.

So, you also teach, bluenz?  I haven't considered it in the past, but my Vietnamese friends suggest I should.  It just seems like a lot of work. :)

I'm amazed how some schools advertise as having Native English speakers, but have Filipino's , ( or worse ).
     I babysit more than teach sometimes, 4 -5 yr olds, very frustrating, 6-7 yrs olds, ok , still very short on attention, 9 -11 , not much better , but after a few months you can see results, you need to almost be a speech therapist as well for VN's, it's very difficult to get the kids to stick out their tongues, when pronouncing the TH sound for instance. 
  Had an adult class for a while, most had excellent vocab, but some spoke too fast , and were very difficult to understand. ( and they also had trouble understanding me for a start ).
I also have a couple of students whose mothers are VN English teachers.
I have a French associate up here, who admits his English is not good, but has just landed a job ' teaching ' pre school kids, ( don't think it is a paying position though ), people like him make it harder for the kids later on, ( and the future teacher).

I'd think teaching young adults would be okay;  not sure about teaching kids -- not a big fan of kids.

How many hours does a teacher typically work, and what is typical pay?  I'm a caucasian American with a bachelor's degree in computer science, but no teaching certificate (but I could get one).

DanFromSF wrote:

I'd think teaching young adults would be okay;  not sure about teaching kids -- not a big fan of kids.

How many hours does a teacher typically work, and what is typical pay?  I'm a caucasian American with a bachelor's degree in computer science, but no teaching certificate (but I could get one).

Hours vary , so does the pay, ( I get paid per student, apparently that is unusual? )I only work 8 hours each weekend now, but with summer vacation will be taking on more classes, at the school, and at my wife's house, ( she is a very competent teacher who can teach any subject, including English, but her pronounciation needs work ).
  Any Degree is acceptable, a TEFL/TESOL ,etc ,certificate, is also preferred, sometimes they hang these in the schools reception area. I was very dubious when I saw one from the University of Slippery Rock????,  but after consulting Dr Google , I found there actually is a place called that.

So what kind of hourly pay range can a good part-time teacher expect?  15 to 20 USD per hour?

DanFromSF wrote:

So what kind of hourly pay range can a good part-time teacher expect?  15 to 20 USD per hour?

$10 --$20, some schools include free accommodation, ( you pay for food and utilities ),  many schools ask for around 20 -30 hrs a week, I only get about $5 an hour sometimes, but I only want classes of 5 or 6 . The classes at the wife's house,  pay much more of course..

Yeah, 20-30 hours per week sounds too much to me.   I wouldn't mind 10-12 hours per week and would prefer not having a boss, so maybe private lessons is the way to go?

DanFromSF wrote:

Yeah, 20-30 hours per week sounds too much to me.   I wouldn't mind 10-12 hours per week and would prefer not having a boss, so maybe private lessons is the way to go?

Yes, you can even buy school books with Eng/Viet in them, otherwise, unless you are trying to teach older students, it will be very difficult, ( you can only teach so much  with pictures and actions ).
Students pay anywhere from $15 pm, 4 hrs a week, to $300 plus, for full time study, ? hrs.
  I have a Canadian friend teaching here, her contract was supposed to be for 30 hours, ( free accommodation, $2000 pm ), however these 30 hours were spread over 16 hr days, 7 hrs a week, but now she is working heaps more, ( the other US teacher spat the dummy and left, he sounded like a real whinger,  didn't like the accommodation , etc ), so she has taken over his job as well, ( and she complained before about the hours ), probably for the same money , she is a little gullible and a bit of a softy. The school is owned by  1 VN, and  1 Filipino woman.

Yeah, I don't need free accommodation, and I don't want a boss.  I think I wouldn't mind teaching a bit, just to have something to do, interact with new people, and make a little extra cash.  As it is, I'm always getting "thank you teacher" from my Vietnamese friends for helping them with their English...  I might as well be getting paid for it! :)

DanFromSF wrote:

I should add, you will find it impossible to get a work permit teaching at home. ( if that worried you ).

DanFromSF wrote:

Yeah, I don't need free accommodation, and I don't want a boss.  I think I wouldn't mind teaching a bit, just to have something to do, interact with new people, and make a little extra cash.  As it is, I'm always getting "thank you teacher" from my Vietnamese friends for helping them with their English...  I might as well be getting paid for it! :)

At least you sound more intelligent than some teachers posting on here, ( and you obviously use, or don't need spellcheck, but according to one poster, spelling is apparently not important when learning English, wish that was the same when learning Viet, one wrong accent mark, can mean something completely different ).
  A cheap TEFL etc, Cert to hang on your wall would look good too, as you know , VN's are always impressed by fancy pieces of paper, you can always use this later if things didn't work out here. ( Only reason I've got one ).
  I can send you a copy of Lanes English, ( helps with tongue/mouth position during pronunciations, ie, TH, etc ), I had it translated to Viet as well.

Thank you, I appreciate it.  I still have some loose ends to tie up in the US before I can seriously make a go at anything like this, but it's encouraging to hear of your experiences.  Hopefully we can grab a beverage together sometime.

DanFromSF wrote:

Thank you, I appreciate it.  I still have some loose ends to tie up in the US before I can seriously make a go at anything like this, but it's encouraging to hear of your experiences.  Hopefully we can grab a beverage together sometime.

No worries , wish I had some advice before I came here .
   Most VN schools have Qualified , ( probably more than me, but heavily accented ), Viets  teaching the vocab and grammar, it is the NATIVE ENGLISH teachers job to try and knock the accent out they have already picked up from the VN teacher, sometimes I'm lucky and can teach them words BEFORE my schools owner, ( and also my wife ),  corrupts the little kiddies, it makes a difficult job even harder, I also have to tell them, there is no need to translate the obvious, ( pictures, actions etc ).

In terms of being vk, it depends on the vk. Like pp said, some vk were born and raised in the West but if they have never left the Little Saigon bubble you'd be surprised how awkward their English can be. My sister-in-laws (technically cousins but you know, Asian titles....) are that way. Born in USA but I was their first ever white friend. O.o

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

In terms of being vk, it depends on the vk. Like pp said, some vk were born and raised in the West but if they have never left the Little Saigon bubble you'd be surprised how awkward their English can be. My sister-in-laws (technically cousins but you know, Asian titles....) are that way. Born in USA but I was their first ever white friend. O.o

Yes you only have to listen to some 2nd or even 3rd generation immigrants , I'm sure the boys purposely put on an accent to make themselves sound tough?  These bejeweled, rapper wankers don't help either.

milkybunnyHCM wrote:

Yep, I've experienced the same thing.  I dated a girl a few years back whose english wasn't quite right.  I asked her where she was born, and she was offended:  "The US!" she said.   Unfortunately she grew up around people who weren't native speakers.

I would think it would be impossible for someone raised in Vietnam to hear that sort of difference.

DanFromSF wrote:

You are also suitable to be an English teacher.

DanFromSF wrote:
milkybunnyHCM wrote:

Yep, I've experienced the same thing.  I dated a girl a few years back whose english wasn't quite right.  I asked her where she was born, and she was offended:  "The US!" she said.   Unfortunately she grew up around people who weren't native speakers.

I would think it would be impossible for someone raised in Vietnam to hear that sort of difference.

From what many people say, it comes down to ESL. I hear that ruins you for life. :lol:

Dejavu.dot wrote:

You are also suitable to be an English teacher.

Thanks.  I'm just not sure I want a job. :)

First of all let me use the term Vietnamese American to replace Viet Kieu for not to confuse. Technically the better Teaching in English is depends on individual, teaching technique, the understands of student's background and the passion of teach, it nothing to do with Native Speakers and Vietnamese American but Asian's mentalities.  Since each region has it own accent, can't say which one is better.  This is only my personal opinion.

Ericnguyenusa wrote:

First of all let me use the term Vietnamese American to replace Viet Kieu for not to confuse. Technically the better Teaching in English is depends on individual, teaching technique, the understands of student's background and the passion of teach, it nothing to do with Native Speakers and Vietnamese American but Asian's mentalities.  Since each region has it own accent, can't say which one is better.  This is only my personal opinion.

Viet Kieu will always be Viet Kieu labelled.
This is cultural.
You have no right to autocorrect a nation's cultural reference.
How many Viet Kieu's have you met and spoken with regularly?Especially from the West Coast.

You are living in the USA,so why do you recommend Vietnamese in Vietnam should call them differently?

As for the OP,well,Viet Kieu's talk fast and when they're from the USA there is this smarmy mouthed,hip hop gangsta fast talking. Not so kind for ESL.

The Phillipino's,have a very distinct accent and at times hard to understand.

YET. I've met people from Scotland,Ireland and even England who I had to just ''smile and nod my head'' because I had no idea what they were saying.
As for Vietnamese English language teachers,there are quite a few who are word perfect,up to the level of  American girl arrogance in regular conversation.
So Eric,in a way you're correct.It is the attitude and teaching patterns that make students remember what has been taught.
And of course this--
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1351739539_Mansion-22.jpg

And this--

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6166/6170583944_f6977031a0_z.jpg

In Eric Nguyen's defense, he did did qualify his use of the term with "Let me use the term..."  I did not understand him to be advocating it become mandatory for others.

Eric, it is easier to use Viet Kieu in that the children of the Vietnamese diaspora includes Vietnamese-Americans, -Canadians, Australians, Kiwis, French, Germans, Russians, and others from all across the developed world. And Vietnamese Americans, Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders as a group are likely the majority of Viet Kieu teaching English in Vietnamese schools.

Nice wheels, by the way. ;=)

The fact that the white guy gets priority is pretty much because of (positive for me) racism and ignorance.
However, in some situations it is warranted.