Banking for new expats

I am just curious what you guys have done with establishing bank accounts in the DR.  Did you set anything up before you arrival or wait until you were settled?  Which banks do you find best in dealing with your out of country funds or direct deposits of items like social security?  Thanks

Setting up an account (both pesos and USD) is easy.  We did ours before moving here on one of the "get things done" trips.
If you are on the north coast Banco Santa Cruz in Sosua is VERY expat/Gringo friendly and most there speak at leas some English.  To set up an account you need $$ (usually min of $100), a letter from your bank back home saying that your in good standing and have a history with that bank, a local to vouch for your (local person can be another gringo but he must have a cedula and an account at Santa Cruz).  That is it.  Accounts are set up and functioning the same day.

Bob K

What about Scotia Bank Bob? And can the only people who vouch for you be gringos? My girlfriend is Dominican and has various bank accounts set up, how about her? Thanks.

No local Dominicans are fine.  I was just pointing out that if you had a gringo friend he/she could vouch for you.  Almost all banks will want the person to have an account with them.
Using your girlfriend should be just fine.

Bob K

PS did not get to Cabarete today and beach in Sosua.  I will catch up with you later on in the week.  I think Thursday I am off to Santo Domingo for my cedula.

Bob K

Thank you.

Cool Bob. No worries, will be here a while :-)