Pre plans for living in Spain

Hello

I am moving to Spain in the next week and my wife and 2 kids will follow in 4 or so weeks time.

I know I need to get my NIE for most things but can't do that until I get there

Anything I could be doing to save rushing around when I arrive? Be prepared?

Also I will be living in la duquesa. Does anyone have contact information to get me going on the NIE route? Provide me with steps to take?

From what I know it varies with the area.  But in mine we had to get our Padrons from our local town hall first.   To get those depends on the local mayor.  By European law the mayor must give you a padron wherever you live in the area covered by the adjuntament (town hall).  We had a problem because we live outside the village on the Campo and the mayor does not like immigrants living outside the village.  But as long as you have a rental contract they must give you one.

You may also need a European citizen card which you can get from the same police station.  But definitely take your passport and padron with you.  If you have to have a European citizens card you will need passport, padron and a form from the bank to show you have an account.  You probably wont need it, but it took three trips to get mine.  And be prepared to queue.  Our office puts a sheet outside the office and you have to put your name on it.    The sheet is put up about 8 in the morning and people start to queue about 7 in the morning.  They only let about 20 in at a time.  I did get in at 22 the second time because a couple did not come back after putting their name down, so you have to wait and see.  We were given tickets at 9 and if you don't get a ticket you will have to go back the next day.(Fortunately for me there is a handy café almost next door which opens early.)

If you have not experienced living in Spain before the best thing is to learn to wait.  The old cliché of manyana manyana is not just a myth.  As I said this is the experience in my area, but the legal bits are the same.

Best of luck with your move, Spain is really great once you get over the legalities.