Recently got a job offer as Asst.Prof in Riyadh - Please comment

Recently I got an offer in one of the University in Riyadh as Asst. Prof with an offer of Basic Salary 10000 SAR/month, HRA - 3000 SAR/month, Transport Allowance - 1000 SAR/.month. Medical Insurance is also borne by the company and also they provide the anual vacation retrun ticket.. The contract is for One year, but renewable.

Note: I hold Indian passport and citizen of India

1. Please comment on the above mentioned salary? Is it a good salary for Asst. professor Position?
2. I am not very sure how the contract system works in Saudi? for me as per the appointment letter it is mentioned as one year contract, when I checked with the university, they said this will be an automatic renewal.
3. Please let me know the living expenses ( I will be accompanied wiht my wife) for two people
4.What would be the House/Flat /apartment rent ( for two bedroom) in a decent residential area ( preferably in Indian community)
4. On the whole, How much can I save in a month? I am not used to luxury life, but for a decent moderate living...
5.How easy or difficult to get a Driving License? what would be cost of second hand car?
6. Can women move around in the day time to public places like malls, restaurants etc?

It would be great if any one could throw light on the above points.

Yes, its a very good package. Ur lucky to get above average package.

Yes, Contract renew automatically.

Living expense is normal. Depend upon the locality as house rent differ.

Hara area is full of Indian and house rent starts from 13,000 to 25,000/-

Good saving since its a tax free country.

Easy steps to get license.

Yes, Women can move around alone or in ladies group but not with a un-related male. She should be in abaya covering herself when in public.

For ur price tags u can goto expatriates.com and select saudi. We all refer it here.

Thanks,

While the financial package may be sufficient looking at the Indian Rupee equivalent from the cost of living perspective in your home country it is still a bit too low in my view based on what I am aware of how others are paid. You may want to negotiate your basic to at least SR 13K per month if you can. I know many who take SR 15K basic salary in similar positions but the only advantage they may have is that they are Arabic language proficient.

Apartment rents in Riyadh will vary from SR15K to SR 30K per year in most areas that you may choose to live in where the Indian/Pakistani community prefer.

Cost of living for a family of two would amount to approx SR2K per month if you choose to live frugally.

Transportation SR1.5K per month at least.
Good luck!

hey siraj...welcome to the forum...no ads please ;)

Sir MM, as always, u r crystal clear!