Pls share your insights about migrating to Taiwan as English Teacher

I am a Filipino wanting to teach English in Taiwan. Anybody who has an idea of how schools hire English Teachers? Can a visitor with a tourist visa be hired as an English Teacher?

your thoughts are gladly appreciated. Thanks.

Randy

Hi Randy.

To work as an English teacher,  the common hiring requirement for aspiring teachers coming from overseas is that they hold a passport from these preferred countries: 
US, UK, Canada, Ireland, South Africa. Working visas will be issued for them; application from other nationals will most probably be rejected; Europeans and Latin Americans get issued working visas, too.  For the rest, exceptions are rare. If one is married to a local, then there's no need to get a working visa, one can apply for, and work any job.

To be frank,  residents from southeast Asia who wants to teach English here find it extremely hard to get jobs. Heck,  even local Taiwanese English teachers have difficulty securing jobs. Employers get many applications from North Americans, Europeans, South Africans that they can pick whomever they want. With a shrinking market, a white teacher brings more paying students. Sad, but true.

Feel free to send me a message. I'm afraid being a long time resident has made me far too knowing. :-SS

Hi Sheila!

Thank you very much for replying and for the insight you have given. I am trying my luck to work as an English teacher in any of the southeast asian countries except for my homeland of course that teachers are not compensated well. I was trying if taiwan is a good place to work since my sister is there working in a different field but it seems that I will have a very difficult time as what you have mentioned. I will need to consider a different country instead.

Thanks very much sheila... God bless!

Randy