Budget advice

Hello everyone! 
Ok I am not 100% sure yet, but I'm about 90% wanting to take a leave of a absence from work and return to the Dominica Republic!
I was recently in Punta Cana in May.
I have discovered a website called workaway.  If you guys haven't heard of it... It's a website which provides hosts in whichever country you desire.  The host will usually provide a place to stay & eat in exchange for help/light work. (Examples hostels, local expat business's)
I see it as a awesome way to travel cheaper than usual. 
I was planning on returning to the DR, for a longer vacation to get a good feel of the country! 
I was wondering what would be an ideal amount of money to bring?
I am interested in traveling to other cities outside of bavaro... Although my personal preference is being a beach bum!  I heard the beach is a 5 minute walk away from my potential place of stay.  So let's say my food & place of living is covered.  What would be a very very safe amount to bring above the least?

Welcome to the forums. I would not come without US 1,000 per month reserves.   That way if something happens you will be okay.  I've not heard of this site and will check it out.

Ok, thanks! 
I would really appreciate that!

Welcome again, I think planner is a bit low on here estimate especially "living" in a tourist area.  I would plan on minimum of $1200-$1300 a month after living and food. Especially if you plan on traveling around a bit and explore the country

Bob K

Ok.  I am not interested in spending that much money!  Also I have been reading deeper into forums & am not interested in a touristy area.  I don't want to travel that much.  I am a vegetarian.  Fruits, veggies, rice & beans are my best friend.  I wanna be close to a beach.  I definitely want a party area.  I don't speak any spanish, so I am interested in an area with more expats.  I want to get a real feel of the country.

Does this amount mean plan to spend that much per month... Or that's a safe amount?  I can bring that amount, but definitely don't  want to spend that amount.  I'm not looking to have full meals everyday at restaurants or shop. Also food & stay would be covered.  So what exactly would be costing so much?  Keeping in mind, I don't want to travel everyday or even once a week or every other week is not necessary.

Where exactly are you staying. I thought it was a tourist area?

If so costs for everything will be higher.  If not and you are out in the campo (local country side) living with the local Dominicans your costs will be less but security for a single woman could be a MAJOR problem. Especially in not fluent in Spanish.

Bob K

Bob she is staying in someone elses house so food and accommodations are covered!  US 1,000 a month is more then enough,  but bring that or have access to more in case of emergency!

You are correct

Bob K