Hi Folks: My name is Roger and I have arranged a two-month "home exchange" (mid-July - mid-Sept). A couple from Barcelona will be coming to my home in Toronto, Canada (yes, home of Mayor Rob Ford ... sigh) while I stay at their central Barcelona flat.

I'm a single, middle-aged professional, and my job allows me to work from anywhere. Last year I exchanged with a couple in Banyuls-sur-Mer, just north of the Spanish / French border on the Mediterranean. Best experience ever. While there, I made a couple trips into Barca, and loved it.

I am madly trying to learn some Spanish (Rosetta Stone), and hope to connect with some English speaking people who'd be interested in getting together for a latte, glass of wine, exploring the city / wandering around, or whatever.

Is there a particular bar or club where English-speaking people hang out? I'm a very social, friendly, person and would love to make some new friends.

Hi Roger i live in a small village called Xerta it is approx one and half hours by car from Barca we brits all get togeather foe a coffee on a saturday morning, you would be more than welcome to join us. Hope to hear from you. Liz

Hi Liz,

I assume you folks from "The Mother Country" meet in Barca??

Roger

Hi Roger no we all meet here in Xerta.Liz

Hi Roger

I guess I am persona non grata on EC forum. Just as well I suppose. There were a lot of fun interesting people on it last year including a Canadian guy (from somewhere near Toronto). We had quite an amusing thread going about Rob Ford during his entrance on to the world stage. Ecuador  seems to be going the way of Costa Rica.

Am very interested in learning more about locales near or on Med Sea France/Spain border. You had mentioned a town on one of your posts. I had communicated with RE agent who did rentals.She said they were quite reasonable September thru June. From photos I had looked at online it seems dreadfully built up. since I was there last. Am looking for small towns/villages/cities where I can still access rail easily to do some travelling. Have never been to Spain ( could be a great name for a song, hmmm...?? LOL)

Sue

Hello to all-

Sorry not to introduce myself before posting. I am in US and now that my youngest boy has left the nest am free to travel and pursue dream to live/retire abroad. Would like to find affordable region near or on Med coast. I am retired from nursing. I have lived the in Pacific Northwest (Alaska and Oregon) which is damp/rainy/cold much of the year so am looking for lots of sunshine. Where do you recommend?

Hi Sue/Frank;

Not sure why you say you're persona non grata, biut the town I was in is two train stops past the Spanish border into France and called Banyuls-sur-Mer. Gorgeous spot.

Roger