English Doula's in PR

Hello, Im wondering if there is any need for English speaking doula's in puerto rico.
I live in San Juan with my daughter and husband, and am still learning Spanish while taking my courses online to become a birth doula, postpartum doula, childbirth educator, and breastfeeding counselor.

any thoughts on if i would even be able to practice until I have learnt the language? I honestly dont even know how many women here came from the states or other english speaking countries that might feel more comfortable with someone speaking their 1st language.

thoughts?

Hi and welcome to Expat.com!

I think that it's not going to be easy to get clients. Most locals get their baby in the hospital and as soon as they get home there's lots of women in the (extended) family who are there with help and advice.

I guess your potential clients would be among English speaking non-Puerto Ricans who are willing and able to afford your services, assuming most health plans won't cover the expenses.
Also look at this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=367501

Hello, and welcome!!  I can't help with your question but it does look like it is very difficult to get employment in PR.  Have you lived in San Juan very long?

We had a homebirth with a midwife and doula and she was bi-lingual. Most of them get work here by reputation and word of mouth. When you arrive look up Central Mam in San Juan they help hook the alternative preggies up with doulas and lactation consultants.

Hi daydreamer,

I am curious how you are doing on your quest to be a doula on the island?   I am a postpartum doula and i am interested in finding work here.  I am also interested in taking classes on becoming a birth doula.  Are you doing all your education on line?  Any advice?
My thought was to work with english speaking clients......

Hello. I'm new to Puerto Rico and I'm in the exact Same place only it's a few years later !! Anyone know of anyone in San Juan looking for English speaking doula birth or postpartum!

thanks ‘

@Jordana Maidenbaen I'm moving to Puerto Rico on Saturday and would like to talk with and get to know you.

My name is Anthony Palma and my email address is ***

Let's get in touch.

Tony

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct