Newborn Baby Name

Greeting to all my brothers here.....

My name Mazhar Hussain, last week we were blessed with a baby boy. The hospital authorities asked me to fill the application form for 'Birth Notification' we have chosen the name as ' Mustafa Hussain' but the hospital authorities have rejected the last name and said the system in the ministry will accept only a single name(Mustafa) and no second name or a  surname is allowed, infact they said it is banned to have two names for a child in saudi arabia.

I argued as to how it is possible for a child not to have his surname/family name, but they were adamant and said "take it or leave it"

I checked with our Consulate, they advised me add the surname(my last name) at the time of making the passport for the child, in the passport the Given name will be 'Mustafa' and surname will be 'Hussain' in this way the Jawazat also will have not objections.

My query to you Brothers is, since I don't have a surname in my passport (my Given name in PP is Mazhar Hussain & no surname) will the Passport department, at the time of issuing the Iqama for my son, raise any objections as to why the father PP does not have a surname while the son has one...

Or shall I take the PP with only a single name....???

Dear brother please advise me.......

Regards,

Mazhar Hussain

Congrats on your son's birth.

Whatever your surname is, it will be appended to your child's first name by the jawazat people.  Now, you said in your passport you don't have a surname.  Do you mean the surname field is blank?  Is "Hussain" your surname?  If no, what is your surname?  If yes, why is it not in the surname field?  Get a new passport made for yourself where both Given Name and Surname fields are filled in correctly.

When you get your child's passport made, do as the consulate advised, so that your child's first name will be Mustafa and surname will be Hussain, which I am assuming is your surname.  After that, get your passport corrected.  And then have your son's iqama made.  But I think even if you had his iqama made before getting your passport corrected, it will be fine.  The iqama will be made as per the passport and birth certificate.

DO NOT GET YOUR CHILD A PASSPORT WITH A SINGLE NAME, unless you want him (and you) to face problems for your duration in this country.  If your passport has an error, do not start your child off in the same way!

Hello,

I had the same problem. But i asked the hospital to add surname and they added. I don't know why your hospital is refusing the request.

Thanks

These days birth notification is issued through an online service provided by the government to hospitals and they can only enter "given name" over there. I had my daughter's notification issued with "given name" only and birth certificate was made with same name. Her passport was made with "given name" and "family/surname" and IQAMA was made with the name "given name", "father's name" and "grandfather's name". I have never faced any issues with it.

tansari wrote:

These days birth notification is issued through an online service provided by the government to hospitals and they can only enter "given name" over there. I had my daughter's notification issued with "given name" only and birth certificate was made with same name. Her passport was made with "given name" and "family/surname" and IQAMA was made with the name "given name", "father's name" and "grandfather's name". I have never faced any issues with it.

I got the birth notification before 2 weeks with surname. They can add surname.You are right, hosptial  has direct acces to ministry of health website. But when i asked them to add surname they added.

Trapezius wrote:

Congrats on your son's birth.

Whatever your surname is, it will be appended to your child's first name by the jawazat people.  Now, you said in your passport you don't have a surname.  Do you mean the surname field is blank?  Is "Hussain" your surname?  If no, what is your surname?  If yes, why is it not in the surname field?  Get a new passport made for yourself where both Given Name and Surname fields are filled in correctly.

When you get your child's passport made, do as the consulate advised, so that your child's first name will be Mustafa and surname will be Hussain, which I am assuming is your surname.  After that, get your passport corrected.  And then have your son's iqama made.  But I think even if you had his iqama made before getting your passport corrected, it will be fine.  The iqama will be made as per the passport and birth certificate.

DO NOT GET YOUR CHILD A PASSPORT WITH A SINGLE NAME, unless you want him (and you) to face problems for your duration in this country.  If your passport has an error, do not start your child off in the same way!

Dear Brother,

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my query.... I really appreciate it...

Yes. the surname field is blank in my passport (at the time of filling application I did not separated Given name & surname and the PP dept. in India also did not raised any concerns)

In Given Name Field full name is written.

'Hussain' is my surname/family name (but it is not mentioned in my PP)

I think the hospitals, when issuing notifications, will not take into consideration the surname of the child as today I asked them whether they can issue the notification with name as 'MUSTAFA ALI' or SYED MUSTAFA' they said it is OK....!!!, but could not clarify as to why they cannot issue a notification with the child's surname....????

It might be as you have mentioned that the surname will be automatically appended to child's name.

I have decide to go as per our Consulate's advice, but again I am nervous as to whether it will be acceptable to Local Authorities here in Saudi Arabia.

What is your opinion brother..?????

tansari wrote:

Dear Brother,

Thanks for the details....

As you have said that your daughter PP was made with Given Name & Surname, so does your PP has surname mentioned separately apart from Given Name,,,??????

Please reply brother....

Are you still in Saudi Arabia