Hello: New here with the age old accomodation issue

Hey ppl....

Relocating to your foster city; Riyadh
Clueless where life goes from this point. Only info has been available for forums and the 'canadian in riyadh' blog!

This is wayyyy unethical for a first time post but desperate situations require desperate measures!

Is there any way to jump a compound list? We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and want to move into a compound. Looking for a 3 bedroom villa ideally but really.... anything will do temporarily!

Also any links with updated compound info? The ones that came up on google search are prior june 2009 and im afraid  the contact info might be outdated!

Thanks in advance for any help!

HI
Maybe i can help u there is one comp at exit 31 khourais street there is nice comp if u r interested in this place u casn send me message.

Hi,

Welcome to the kingdom!  To the left of your post, you see a green column labeled 'Riyadh'; if you click on 'Guide,' you'll find a list of compounds I've listed.

I'm sure some of the numbers, etc., are out of date.  If you use the guide and can help update the information, we'd appreciate it.

Best of luck!

Met a Compound manager at a farewell lunch yesterday. He runs 6 compounds in Riyadh. he said none of them have any space whatsoever.

Hi,

This is where life goes from here:

You come to Riyadh, with or without family yet.
You will stay in a hotel or sort yourself out some furnished accom 4500 - 7500 sar per month

During your time there you will phone the compound managers every day and email them once a week to check if they have any spaces yet?

Procedure for phoning the compound:

dial number, automated call system with american ladys voice asks you to dial ext or press 0.

Press 0.

Moody expat with limited english will answer, if you ask him if there is any room he will laugh at you and say "no room, waiting list is 12 months".

You should ask for manager or marketing before you get to this point, if you get to them they will say the same, but ask to be put on list anyway and ask for the email address and their name.

Do this every day and email once a week.

After a while, you will get a phone call telling you that someone has terminated their lease early and would you like to take over their villa.

You will answer yes and go there straight away and hand over 6 months rent. if you do not do this then someone else will..

Ther compound list on here is fairly accurate, just make sure you are dialing the numbers correctly. some are missing zeros or ones at the front ect.

You will not bag a compound slot outside of Riyadh before you get here unless you are blessed by god or know a prince ect...

Good Luck, we have all been there.

Thanks, Nelson.  If you know of any numbers that are wrong OR any contact names at the compounds, let me know so I can add them to the guide list.

Thanks!

Nelson - you are way too funny and Spot on! 

We came to KSA in July '09 and made friends with every Compound Manager we met, got on their lists, promised to pay lots of money lol, and then I called and emailed from home at least once a week!  Im sure they tired of me quickly BUT then we received a call....! 

After coming in early September to look at the villa they offered (which was on the perfect compound) and checking (and re-checking) a few other places we declined that villa and took the one we are in now.  It was the last place we looked -  a diamond in the rough we just couldn't pass up!  Its in a small compound with a lovely garden.  Its our little piece of paradise right here in Riyadh!

So for those of you still looking, review the Compound List that Allie created, take Nelson's advice and be patient and persistent.  And if you have the opportunity, come to the country and look at the housing and personally meet the managers.  It goes a long way in getting on the list and receiving that phone call.  Best of luck!

Spot on Nelson, straight from the horses mouth. Its just not an open and shut case as it used to be in the days gone by when compounds were a dime a dozen... Riyadh is surely filling up without a doubt.

The biggest winners are the guest houses and the furnished apartments. A local friend who lives nearby at Exit 7 was constructing a building to be given out on rent for families. Halfway through the construction he has changed his made and is in the process of converting the place to a guest house. he must have done his homework for sure?

Mmmmmm I compared the list with several others...didnt really see numbers missing so probablyyyyyy  you list is being cut...copied...and pasted!
You are quite devoted to the list Alliecat...i thinks that sweet...really help newcomers!