How would a Black American be received in Loja?

I am a black female (African American) considering a move to Ecuador.  Would I have racial problems?

I cannot imagine that this would be an issue.  There are many black Ecuadorians.

Absolutely not!! There are many black latinos here. They do not have prejudice like in the states. The only minor problem may be bigoted gringos here but you can stay away from them. Many gringos come here and want the culture to be the same as the states. They should go home!! They are a pain for Latinos and gringos alike. There are however many that have absorbed the culture and give thanks to our hosts.

Actually, there is racial prejudice here in Ecuador (as there is anywhere) and Afro-Ecuadorians are on the receiving end.

I have to agree with Quito 0819 as there is a class prejudice that works down from the affluent Ecuadorians through the classes. As far as Cuenca Boy states it's the Gringos he must travel with a different group than I do, or he may be one of those who thinks that every white American is a Racist except his group. Further from the truth, you should enjoy living here and should count on your fellow gringos for support.

Hi. I am an Army retired African-American female. I have not made it to Ecuador yet, but I plan on visiting soon. I have lived in Panama and Nicaragua. I have been to every Central American country and Bolivia and Peru in South America. In all of those Latin American countries (especially Panama), I was treated exceptionally well by both men and women--much better than by either blacks or whites in the States. Understand that I grew up in Alabama and it was pretty rough. I found that there were distinct class distinctions in Latin America, but I never experienced the deep racial hatred or the negative obsession with blacks that I experienced here.  The biggest problem I had in Latin America when I was younger was that I was sometimes treated like some sort of exotic curiosity by men. During military exercises, they would ask my commanders (like they were my father) if they could ask me out. Funny, right? Now on the flip side, most Latin American countries have native black populations. In nearly every country I've visited, they don't fare well. I have read some disheartening stories about treatment of black Ecuadorians. I have found that blacks from the USA are treated much better than the local populations.   

Anyway, I love Latin America to this day. My husband and I were recently in Nicaragua. The people were kind. I have found that if I exude acceptance and kindness, I draw the same back. I suggest that you be adventurous and go to different parts of Ecuador and experience it for yourself. No one can predict what will happen. Keep us posted on your experiences!

quito0819 wrote:

Actually, there is racial prejudice here in Ecuador (as there is anywhere) and Afro-Ecuadorians are on the receiving end.

I know of no place in the world where there is not some form of prejudice. It may be based in race in this country, on religion in that country, and on ethnic group or nationality in a third.

Ecuadorians are human beings, and as human beings it seems that we are hard-wired to consider ourselves superior to others. I can remember as a teenager that the kids in my school thought we were much, much cooler than the kids in that school. I suppose it's part of the same impulse.

The question is whether a black American would face that prejudice. I haven't seen any signs of it, but given that I'm white, I wouldn't, necessarily.

Bob

Ecuador is known to be a racist society and Ecuadorian blacks are at the bottom of the totem pole. I live in super conservative Cuenca (with a virtual caste system) and had a friend who is from Trinidad and who had a black husband. Her daughter who is here with her, is often leered at and once I was there when she was jeered at: Did you drink too much chocolate milk... she feels uncomfortable here.  So much my two pennies worth. I would make a trial visit...

BobH wrote:
quito0819 wrote:

I know of no place in the world where there is not some form of prejudice. It may be based in race in this country, on religion in that country, and on ethnic group or nationality in a third.

Ecuadorians are human beings, and as human beings it seems that we are hard-wired to consider ourselves superior to others. I can remember as a teenager that the kids in my school thought we were much, much cooler than the kids in that school. I suppose it's part of the same impulse.

The question is whether a black American would face that prejudice. I haven't seen any signs of it, but given that I'm white, I wouldn't, necessarily.

Bob

Well said Bob.

Humans are also hard wired to rationalize, and fantasize. The human psyche hasn't really changed much in tens of thousands of years. As long as humans exist there will be injustices, criminals, thieves, racists, hate mongers, liars, and the list goes on in every society. Some things are more prevalent in different societies, and locations than others, but the perfect society where everyone wants to live, or thinks exists doesn't.

Is Ecuador better or worse than others? I don't know. Each individual has to kind of do their own exploration, and decide for themselves.

I cannot say as I haven't been here long enough to be certain but I have not observed or sensed any such problem during my 6 months here in Loja. People have been incredibly helpful and sincerely friendly. I love the people here. I cannot imaging these wonderful people treating anyone differently for their skin color. I just can't imagine. I believe that you get back what you put in. Come here smiling and friendly and that all you will see. There may be an a-hole or two somewhere around here but I have not yet encountered them

I can promise you'd have no problem with me. I am a lily-white from Maine.

Best wishes! Look me up when you get here.

If the stats are right, or at least fairly accurate about Esmeraldas being roughly 70% Afro-Ecuadorian, then would probably get the most accurate, and reliable feel for how things really are, or aren't by spending time in that area, and talking to the people there how life is for those of African descent, and living in Ecuador.

@Laurirenee:  Thanks for your candor.  I will keep you updated.

@Davidrsl:  LOL.  will do!  Thanks.

Hi From Bodhi,
My family just completed a move to Ecuador, Cuenca, Ecuador that is 1 month ago.  We are absolutely loving it.  So, we are a mixed family with myself being a "white" man of Jewish decent, and my wife being Anglo / Indian.  We have found the people here super sweet and accepting.  We go to the local park and the local kids are a mix of Ecuadorian looking and black kids.  They all play together and have been happy to include our kids and come over and invite them out.  Our kids look totally white.  My sense from asking is that the blacks are well accepted here and I don't think you will have a problem.  I had been curious about the issue before your inquiry and had asked about it. 
We are opening a B and B in Cuenca as of Tomorrow so you can sure count on being welcomed by us!  You can see us at EcuadorBound.net

PS after reading some of those other posts, I may be a bit of a polyanna, but what can I say, watching all the kids of all colors play with each other and accept us to the point of going out of their way to include us, invite us, play with me and my wife and kids, blacks, latinos, of all shades I just feel like you get what you give.  We are open and loving folks and the people here seem to be the same.  That being said, I am sure what some of those other folks have seen and have said is also true.  However, being treated the way we have and seeing the kindness shown my kids by all the local kids of all colors here fills me with some hope for the future.  I just can't see those kids I met growing up to judge any of their neighbors by the color of their skin instead of the content of their character!

@krollrealty.  Thanks for the info. I'll look you up.

Do you have a website for your B&B? What is it called?

You can see it at vrbo.com/596753  or just go to vrbo.com and type in 596753 for the listing number.
Bodhi

You can see more about our little B and B in Cuenca at http://www.vrbo.com/596753

My Aunt & Uncle are a bi-racial couple, they lived 1 yr in Quito FEB 2010 to FEB 2011, I moved them to Cotacachi FEB 2011 until OCT 2013 Uncle David returned home to GA to handle family issues, and Aunt Lois just This month of June returned home to GA., there was an occasional slight cultural misunderstanding the 1 yr in Quito, nothing major. But She really thrived and enjoyed 3.5 yrs in Cota, the last 8 months solo, see photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … f45ca81b97