Life of Expats and compound

:) Hi dear fellows! Can anyone be my guiding angel and let me know where do American expats of KAU Choose to live-is there a compound nearby? I would really appreciate a response as I have a family coming with me too!
Is there a way I can meet online a KAU ELI Faculty? For help.
Thanks and regards

When you say KAU......do you mean KAUST (King Abdullah University Science & Technology) up north in Thuwal?

Oh I should have said-King Abdul Aziz University. Anyway thanks for your response dear

There are the Sierra Compound / Raytheon Compound / Arabian Compound / Basateen Compound where most American  expats live. But most of these compounds are pretty much full and have a long line of waiting list. As far as meeting americans,  there is always the consulate parties or events happening every month.

Wow -thanks and how can I communicate with the parties:) Kind of getting lost in the jungle!!!!!!!!!Ray how is life in Jeddah-have you been to King Abdul Aziz University area?IS it safe to rent an apartment or villa nearby?But I want to live with the American-or Western Community and I feel compounds are safer and at least mobilicity is possible with the compound-is it true that it is going to be 14000SR yearly the rent?
How is driving-I can see you on a bike!

140,000 SR depends on the size of the villa you want, but yes it is not out of range. I have heard on mine (smaller & not as western) that someone was asked for 20,000 sr more on their renewal (bringing it close to I think 150,000sr for 3 bed).  Not sure what you mean by driving, but if you have been to Vegas think their taxis time 200% worse for all drivers who are all men. There is no "real" driving test here and you can see as young as 13 year olds driving their female family members around.

Raylarch how do you get into the consulate parties??? Been here since Sept. & cannot even get the consulate on the phone to answer a simple question. Also from the one time my husband has been & 2 times a friend has been there were no "Americans" working those days.

Like other any other parties........it's who you knows.......I got to know the Marines there......I also join the ABJ (American Business in Jeddah) they organizes sport events against the British Community such as Darts, Pool, Horse shoe, table tennis, Bowling and there boat rides.........there you will meet people and be friends with them .....most of them are regulars to the consulate......you can ask them to sponsor you to the events.

There is a Boat event on the 19 of June where we rent 2 boats for the day and head out to the sea for snorkeling in the reefs......all are westerners......let me know if you are interested and send me your email address so I can forward you the flyer

Don't even think of driving here.......Women has no say when it comes to driving.....NOT ALLOWED

Hi there, Am interested in the boat event and kind of bored out here like almost everyone...i would be happy if u guys are able to take an Armenian alien with you  :D ..can I have the flyer?

jasmin.aayan wrote:

Wow -thanks and how can I communicate with the parties:) Kind of getting lost in the jungle!!!!!!!!!Ray how is life in Jeddah-have you been to King Abdul Aziz University area?IS it safe to rent an apartment or villa nearby?But I want to live with the American-or Western Community and I feel compounds are safer and at least mobilicity is possible with the compound-is it true that it is going to be 14000SR yearly the rent?
How is driving-I can see you on a bike!

Compound is the best bet. There is one near the university and I will post the name once I recall. KAU is surround just like York University, you got Jane/Finch with a bit of upscale Vaughan....I see you from T.dot so I used York U as a reference :D

All the best.

Hey-it looks like I finally found some grounds. It will hopefully be so good then! Also looks like you are from my whereabouts who relocated in Jeddah-nice to meet you. Please kindly let me know whenever you recall - and what will be the assumed Jane/Finch intersec called-just wondering!

Hee hee-oops

jasmin.aayan wrote:

Hey-it looks like I finally found some grounds. It will hopefully be so good then! Also looks like you are from my whereabouts who relocated in Jeddah-nice to meet you. Please kindly let me know whenever you recall - and what will be the assumed Jane/Finch intersec called-just wondering!

Ok, can't seem to recall...sign that i'm getting old.

Just remember the area to avoid is Al Jamea District, anything near by the university non-compound is safe such as Al Naseem Dist, Al Sulaimania Dist, Al Fayhaa Dist. All this within the vicinity of 5-20 KMs

If you move further north that's where the better compounds are, even if you go for Sharbatly Village it's approximately 30Kms from the KAU but the traffic will be a pain as they are building an underpass at one of the major intersection.

Hope that helps.