New and looking for information

My wife and I are considering retiring to Cali Colombia where her mom and dad live.  i have a few questions being an american citizen.
1.  If we own or want to own property in Colombia, do I need to be a resident or is there a visa other than a tourist visa that I should obtain.  Both my wife and I are US citizens, but she is also a Colombian citizen
2.  Anyone have any idea where i can find information on taxation, both US and Colombian that would be due.
3.  Anyone have any idea how to ship items to Colombia via ship/container or where I can get this information.

For the shipping you can get online and find a company to ship from Wilmington NC---or from Miami. I was going to ship a car to Bucaramanga. As far as the propertu goes you will need an investment visa or permanent residence visa to own a house here. For a motocycle or car just a passport. But words of advice, it has been my experience that once a couple is in Colombia that the woman is a totally different person. So think in this some. I'm sure your wife is a beautiful person. But I am giving you ther best advice I can so think very careful before you move here please. Was the worst mistake of my life, but then again I have had a malo woman. I am in Bucaramanga, and can help you in any way that I can. James Allen

do you think it s easy oto find a job for a french man
I m Looking for expatriation
I m In love with Colombia
Thanks for you answer and help just in case
all my best, JL

It's not very easy to find a job for French-speaking people
But there're some options
What's your profession and level of education?
Are you fluent in English and Spanish?

My profession is engineer.  I have laboratory experience along with a chemistry degree.  I speak english fluently and spanish conversationally.

Buying property can be done together if you both form a corporation through Panama. Shipping household goods can be done safely through Miami using air freight. You will pay by pound or square foot. We have found that a mattress is very costly because it is large but a large pallet of heavy boxes will cost only a few hundred dollars.

I recently drove my car from the United States to Costa Rica. I will continue to Panama and then want to ship the car to Columbia. How can I find a shipper? Once my car is in Columbia, how long can it stay there? If I decide to import the car what is the tax? I have a 1996 Honda Civic 4 dr stick.

Hi hank97 and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to start a new thread on Cali forum, as this one is dated 2010.;)

Harmonie.