Contractor build house & purchase of suv

Hello everyone I am new member

Will try keep this brief. Been in and out of Philippines since 70's. Station in Subic 87-89. Retired Marine and soon retire civil service worker.
Know very well people, culture, and Philippines.
My wife is from Philippines, Bicol region. Married 25 years. Leaving California to live in Philippines in 2015 April.

I need to know of someone who has contact with a honest contractor to build us a home in Bicol. Wanted to know also any one who has contact with someone who wants sale a Toyota Suv. I prefer the landcruiser. Wanted anything from 2010-2013.

Hi Wayne,

have you checked in the business directory (for the contractor) and posted in the classifieds section (for your car?)

All the best,

Julien

Wayne 07 wrote:

Hello everyone I am new member

Will try keep this brief. Been in and out of Philippines since 70's. Station in Subic 87-89. Retired Marine and soon retire civil service worker.
Know very well people, culture, and Philippines.
My wife is from Philippines, Bicol region. Married 25 years. Leaving California to live in Philippines in 2015 April.

I need to know of someone who has contact with a honest contractor to build us a home in Bicol. Wanted to know also any one who has contact with someone who wants sale a Toyota Suv. I prefer the landcruiser. Wanted anything from 2010-2013.

Hi Wayne,
Although I am not in a position to buy land/build yet, but I have designed a house (with software I have on my iMac), looked into the options and can share a few key prep steps.
1.  Determine the best construction method(s) that are to your liking/available here before you do a wide search on a General Contractor. 

Example:  Will you do the construction using the:
1.  'column, beam and hollow block process'
2.  'poured concrete walls' or
3.  'prefab or precast concrete wall panels'

2.  Concrete mixes here in the PI are as random as the weather and you may want to clearly specify the type, grade and mix ratios that are acceptable to be used (refer to the paperback book published by the Portland Cement Association -  'Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures' as your guide and the guide you require the contractor to use, as per your contract with him.

3.  Sand - be very careful with the sand source and make sure it is proper sand.

4.  Being a native Californian, I also focused on such things as 'Philippine Fault Zones' and the stated quake ratings from each contractor.  What was their position on the 'Philippine Mobile Belt' vs. their construction methods?  At least 4 of the 6 contractors I made initial contact with in 2011, did not include ratings in their 'column, beam and hollow block process' and would not provide the design engineering tools they used for their designs  (i.e., they never designed for earthquakes).

A good source for this map is:  http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ … /gshap.php

After almost a year of research in 2011, I decided on the prefab option as my first choice.  One of my main reasons was the rating of conventional hollow block walls here in the PI (around 800 pounds of force per square inch (psi), where as the precast walls are designed to withstand about 4,800 psi). 

I did look into the sources in or near the NCR that could support a build in the Cavite area (Tagaytay - Alfonso) and the one source I was impressed with was 'Deca Homes'*.  There is a better article on this method found at:  http://www.philstar.com/real-estate/201 … ses-8-days

*Note:  I have not actually used them and only exchanged a few emails to get info on build times (8-10 days), quality and materials.

I think this info may assist you a little in your final approach to building a home here.  Best of luck on this new road.

Gary

When are you planning to start building the house?  If your plan is to start construction now so that by April of next year when you arrive here your house is ready for move in, forget it. There are honest contractors out there.  But if you want peace of mind that your house will not collapse on you just like that, you need to be here and visit the construction site often enough, if not everyday. You should be here to check on the progress of construction, make decisions on which materials to use, issue checks. There's also a lot of paperwork: clearances from local government offices, permits, etc. which you (or a person with a power of attorney) to sign or approve.  It's all so complicated. 

I have started construction on my house at the beginning of this year. We used better than standard materials and construction methods.  But right across us, there was a house being built to be sold, and building materials and construction were below standard. The posts used a third to a half the number of metal rods and were thinner. Hollow blocks were about 1" thinner.  (Our perimeter fencing was sturdier than their 2-storey house wall!) The beams also used less metal rods.  The difference in price between the metal and blocks that I used vs the ones the neighbor / developer used is probably PhP300k.  I am really appalled that for something the contractor will sell for PhP12-14 million, they would skimp on key materials.  I and my other neighbors feel sorry for whomever will buy the house.

You really have to be here to oversee construction of your house.

FilAmericanMom wrote:

When are you planning to start building the house?  If your plan is to start construction now so that by April of next year when you arrive here your house is ready for move in, forget it. There are honest contractors out there.  But if you want peace of mind that your house will not collapse on you just like that, you need to be here and visit the construction site often enough, if not everyday. You should be here to check on the progress of construction, make decisions on which materials to use, issue checks. There's also a lot of paperwork: clearances from local government offices, permits, etc. which you (or a person with a power of attorney) to sign or approve.  It's all so complicated. 

I have started construction on my house at the beginning of this year. We used better than standard materials and construction methods.  But right across us, there was a house being built to be sold, and building materials and construction were below standard. The posts used a third to a half the number of metal rods and were thinner. Hollow blocks were about 1" thinner.  (Our perimeter fencing was sturdier than their 2-storey house wall!) The beams also used less metal rods.  The difference in price between the metal and blocks that I used vs the ones the neighbor / developer used is probably PhP300k.  I am really appalled that for something the contractor will sell for PhP12-14 million, they would skimp on key materials.  I and my other neighbors feel sorry for whomever will buy the house.

You really have to be here to oversee construction of your house.

Be a good citizen by reporting it to the Provincial builders board and let everyone know about their shoddy construction...They could be seriously fined if it is not within code..

This is Wayne who originally posted this. To answer some of questions;

I will be in P.I. On June 2015. I want have the house started until I am there. I believe my arrival will be doing rainy season, so they probably can't start until December 2015 or January 2016.
I don't have a building background. I value integrity and honesty. This is one reason I am looking for some expat who have valuable experience in either having someone or knowing someone who fits these qualification. Maybe they use this person to build there house.I will not work with people I cannot trust period!!!!!

I know about all the corruption there having been there doing Marcos period until the present. Believe me I know. As expats I think it's just smart for us to ban together and share and provide info to each other of what works and don't work in the PI.

Concerning the vehicle unless I can really get to know the person I am buying vehicle from I would rather deal with a major Dealership like Toyota and pay their price rather than be taken advantage of by some con or fly by night dealership. I hope this help clarify what I am looking for. Yes I have check online but it helps to know a expat that can help. And I also know you cannot always trust every expats. But if you get enough people saying the same thing you make be able to find truth in what the one is saying.

vetretreat wrote:

Be a good citizen by reporting it to the state builders board and let everyone know about their shoddy construction...The could be seriously fined if it is not within code..

A neighbor on the same block who first noticed it said she had already reported it. I don't know if inspectors have already checked it. As of now, the posts have been poured over.  So you cannot see the rods anymore. 

Fines is not the solution to faulty construction. The house is not safe. Period. I doubt that city officials would order the house razed to the ground. If caught, the developer would probably reason out that he / she would be the one occupying the house anyways, so it's their risk. And they would sell the house later on when the issue has been forgotten.

As mentioned by someone earlier, do not build until you are there to supervise construction in its entirety.
In your contract be sure there is a clause that allows you to retain 5 or 10 % balance until you have
approved final inspection. Our house has multiple mistakes. One example: countertops are only 31 3/4 inches high
at the top surface. Ranges are taller, was supposed to be a drop in stove top but another mistake prevents that.
Can't reverse it, the marble was pricey. You will pay for their mistakes unless you opt for a Tiampong which may
worth the extra pesos per square meter. But don't try to alter this architect's design.

The local area will have home building companies and you will no doubt have a choice.
What they have produced will be available for you to inquire at to find satisfaction. No references /recommendations then find someone else.
Quotations will include everything you need to finish the house but you will find that this quotation includes basic materials and when you come to choose some nice floor tiles,....ah or "over budget sir". i would be inclined to  ask for a building quotation only and then you buy and deliver the plumbing/tiles/electric bits. eg see the beautiful chrome mixer taps for showers, expensive and would not be part of your quotation.
A basic building quotation will enable you sort out the contractors, a local known company will have reputation as a guarrantee ....the only one you have in the Philippines haha.

Philippine architecs seem to be in their own world with the ultra modern style of house with large white walls and expanse of corner dark glass ect. no though has been given to living in the place and very few of these "boxes" are without aircons.

Tips. East facing bedroom and CR windows ..through airways for the breezes to flow.. roof overhangs of at least 1.5 meters.  suggest sloping flat roofs and open ends for the air to circulate.......create a drying area up under the back roof for the laundry. Do not put insulation under the steel roofing because it causes it to heat up above the manufacturers level and then it expands and opens up cracks for the rain to get in. Put the insulation over your ceilings if needed.

I have a friend, who is also one of my clients, who hired a contractor.  The contractor was fast, professional, trustworthy, willing to work with my friend . . .and PRICEY!.  I think there are many licensed contractors out there who are trustworthy and honest, but their services do cost an arm and a leg. (And they probably have a minimum contract amount.)

You say you do not have a building background.  You should do some research and acquire  basic building know how.   
How sturdy or heavy you want your walls and posts to be depends on you and how much you want it to be and how much you want to spend.  Discuss this with your contractor or architect.  Make sure that they do use what you agreed on.  You really have to be there to supervise the construction.

I am currently in the process of having our house built.  What I did was hire and architect / architectural firm who supervised the building of the house. My dad and I were the ones who picked the workers and paid them directly.  We bought materials, such as cement, beams, decking, etc., as needed. If I or my dad or our architect is not at the site, the workers would just slacken.  (And I don't blame them.  It's so darn hot here.  If I were a construction worker, I would probably take my time too when given a chance.)  Once the structure is done, I'll have subcons I picked do the finishes. 

If you leave it to a contractor to do everything or as a "package deal", you'll end up spending more. Better to have the contractor do the structure and get a subcon to do things such as windows, doors, metal grills, carpentry, etc.  I subcon aluminum and glass windows and doors.  Sometimes, homeowners would come to our shop and ask for a quote for their windows, and would be surprised at the big difference between our price and the "packaged" price of the general contractor.

The difference between your hiring tradesmen and what the house company provide will be the "finishing" and it does make a difference if you are concerned. Watching a good plasterer for instance and seeing the end result will surprise you. Many "Skilled" guys will offer plastering services but their finishing will not be what you are used to in the Western world. The house building companies keep and pay extra for their experienced workers to maintain their quality and hence reputation. A plasterer will do your wall in a day but for the company boss will do 2 or more walls to remain in the job! We paid 350 a day for skilled and 250 for labour that included 50 pesos for their snacks because we are not up to all the cooking mess that we see other places do. Most of what what you can hire will come with "experience" only and not qualification.......you pay for what you get. sometimes if you are friendly with a company he will lend you his workers at your rate to keep them in employment?
You don't need to have much technical knowledge to follow a plan and the sticks and stones of whats going on can be checked as it progresses.........try for an English speaking foreman.
Some foreman will organise a "look out" so that work can slacken whilst you go on an errand. just give them progress achievements for the time away.......or try "no work tomorrow we are going shopping".....that shakes them!

[Moderated by Team : No free publicity on the forum please register your services in the Business directory ]

Hi Lenard,

I'm looking for a licensed contractor (PCAB) to finish construction of my house in Tagaytay. If you're interested, [Moderated: Do not share any contact number on the forum]. Thank you, Zvi

Hello everyone,

KIndly note that this thread is not active since May 2014.

You can start a new discussion on the forum Philippines for better interaction,

If you are looking for contractors, I would suggest that you have a look in the Business Directory- Housing & building contractors in the Philippines and concerning those who are contractors you can register yourself in the Philippines business directory so that members can easily find your contact.

Thank you
Yuveshen

Lenard I tried emailing you but your email address is incorrect.

Hi Wayne,

xxx that's my email, or try this xxx Or you might wanna give me your email address and I will be the one to email so that you can just reply with it.
Thank you so much.

Regards,
Lenard

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of services strictly not allowed on forum. You may freely register your services in Business Directory