Third-country nationals work permit renewal!

Hi all!

I'm new here, not in Malta but!

I read all that there is on this forum about the above issue and considering that in August I should apply for my third renewal, got pretty concerned and alarmed my boss!
Now, two days ago she contacted ETC and been told that things have changed, that it is not a problem anymore to renew! Just certain terms and conditions apply!!! Did not tell her what they are, cause this change is of 5 days ago and she needs to contact them by e-mail to get the Terms and Conditions in written!

While waiting for that, I thought I'd better share the news and get hopes a bit higher for many of us in the same boat! :D

Cheers!!

Also, you can report problems like the 'unoffical policy' of WP rejection to ec.europa.eu/solvit where you may find some satisfaction. Their mandate is to rectify 'misapplication of laws', and specifically the do deal with residence permits. The had a booth at an info session I attended the other day.

Hi Optimist,

Thanks for your feedback! That is really interesting news .

I wonder which terms and conditions apply.When you find out I would be really glad if you could pass them on to me, maybe even as a private mail.

May I ask how long you have been working in Malta? 3 rd renewal means third year now ? And which passport you hold ?

Meanwhile I wish you luck in that you can fulfil the new terms and conditions.The last time we visited the ETC we were told that terms and conditions from their own website were wrong and did not apply.

I'm not sure if the EU can help in these cases that effect third-country national ie non-EU citizens.The solvit website specifically quote their mission as solving problems with member states.

But it is worth a try

Regards

Ricky

Hi Ricky,

No news yet, and honestly don't think I'll soon get any! I believe that these new terms and conditions are not even made up yet entirely! I mean they are up in the air in between ETC walls, but not on paper! PATIENCE!!!

I've been in Malta for 3 years now, and this will be my 3rd renewal, meaning 4th work permit. My passport is non-EU, I'm from Montenegro, ex Yugoslavia and couple of more ex countries after :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for your wishes, I really hope I wont have to pack my bags!!

Sarafima, thanks for the info, with a little luck I wont be needing their service!

Regards

Hi Optimist,

You might be lucky in the present situation as , as you probably know,Montanegro has filed for membership to the EU.There are political squabbles with Greece about the name issue which are ongoing.

Nontheless Montanegro and the EU signed an Agreement of Association which came into force on the 1 st May 2010.The agreements are due to be realised over the next 3 years and include rules on the free movement of workers from Montanegro within EU countries.

For example one paragraph quotes:

'treatment accorded to workers who are nationals of Montenegro and who are legally employed in the territory of a Member State shall be free of any discrimination based on nationality, as regards working conditions, remuneration or dismissal, compared to nationals of that Member State'

Of course it is now up to Malta (and the ETC ) how fast these new rules are applied in cases like your's.

But it seems that your specific situation might be a lot better than that of ' true' third-country nationals.

So keep us updated on the future development.Thanks

Ricky

Howdy People,

I have been in Malta for over 11 years now and going for my 11th renewal of application for work. It has been a sorted ride of jumping hoops for the Maltese who are all experts until it comes to the real thing--but non the less you must play the game with them and treat them as the authority on anything you speak about--it gets you places--Hahahah.
I have also obtained a residence permit, still hasn't changed the process but I am charged a cheaper (higher rate every year) than a regular application.
I have just emailed to the ETC to see what hoops I have to jump this year as I was told it was going to be easier. Yeah right--I am not holding my breath. One thing that come to me while I was searching the web for info of new changes (none to be found, it come to my attention that the employer is supposed to be doing the applying etc. So why the heck am I sweating my butt off running from office to office from one end of Malta to the other doing all this??? Oh yes right--beggars can't be choosers eh?? Hahaha Almost forgot myself there.
So has anyone found out about this mysterious new process for us expats??

That's great news! Looking forward to the updates about how it gets 'easier'. I just spent an hour down at MQIRC showing them original documents AGAIN, because someone forgot to write down that they had already seen them.

The agent herself was quite nice about it, but the guy at the front desk kept asking 'but where are the translations?' and I kept saying 'on the following page, just like the last qualification....'

I felt like he was really hoping I would go away.

Hi Canuk Falcon,

Thanks for your great input!

Just for the records: Which country are you from and what is your work area? That would be really helpful.

After that long did you get a Permanent Residence Permit? After 5 years of stay you are supposed to get it automatically ! Was there any hassle getting yours?

The employer is supposed to apply but often it comes down to him just signing the form .We had that situation too.

When I found out about the new mystery process you can be sure I will post it here !

Regards

Ricky

Hi Ricky,

I am from Canada--hense the title Canuk--LOL. Getting the residense permit was easier than I thought but only lasts 5 years, then you have to reapply again. So since I have one year left on my residence permit, we will see how it goes next year when I reapply.
I am specialized in the waste industry and was hired with a contract for 3yrs. That contract run out in Oct 2009 and was then hired on as a permanent employee. So the company had to first terminate my contract then send a commencement form for my being hired permanent. All was well and fine and I received confirmation from ETC in March 2010 that the contract has been terminated.
So as I was curious, I emailed ETC to see if the company needed to reapply for my work permit or if I just use my present one until Oct 2010. ETC quickly emailed me back and said, my permit runs till Oct 2010 and I can re-apply again some time close to that date--Great I thought!!!
WRONG!!!! I just emailed them last week asking what is the new easier procedure to re-apply for the work permit. I was told that my contract has been terminated since last October and thus causing the cancilation of my employment license!!!!! They also told me to get ahold of my company and have them refilling the application form from date of termination till now to regularize my employment and provide all sorts of personal document--certified and pay 58 euros.!!???!!!

I immediately contacted the HR department copying them the emails I received for ETC and asked them WTF! I have been working without a permit since Oct 2009???? Now apparently the HR department sent my commencement form along with the contract termination and it would seem that ETC has misplaced this commencement form. So the HR department emailed the commencement form to them and I am still waiting to hear what is going on and what to do about reapplying for the work permit. It is amazing that I ask about 5 questions when I email ETC but only receive an answer to one of them with the others going unanswered. It seems they try to make you mess up by not giving you the full information--or maybe this is just and educational problem--who knows. Anyways, we will see what happens from here.
The biggest thing I learned here, once you have one of these "special representatives" in your reach, question, question, question them until your blue in the face and document it, as they are famous for saying--I never said that.

Right now ETC has egg on their face, but fortunately it wasn't me that put it there as I have the HR department fighting it out with them--it is best that way. It is impossible for an expat to fight these kind of battles as it is an unknown rule here--"never piss on the natives for making a mistake"--and that is because they never make mistakes and never admit to them! Maltese are very stubborn people and hate to admit to making a mistake so one must let them smooth it over between themselves --"like icing on a cake"--then everyone wins.

Hi Canuk,

I just posted about the new Guidelines on a new thread.If that is the new 'mystery process' then there was a lot of leg-pulling going on about making it easier. It seems a lot more restictive.

I totally agree with you that it is very difficult to get the right information from the ETC and other government departments. You can't even trust information given from the ETC as it can change any time or be interpreted in a different way.

I wish you luck with legalizing your work situation and please keep us updated as to how the ETC deals with ' problems' like in your case.

Thanks

Ricky

Hey Ricky,

Great news about the new procedure for applying for a work permit. May all know that the Maltese tango and circle jerk are still alive and well In Malta!!!

Government departemental missinformation and the mandatory kiss off and denials are still free of charge. LOL

The only thing your taxed on is your patients.

This is going to be the hardest work permit to obtain yet, even having LTR status and living here for 11 1/2 years!!!

Hi!!!

Hello, before i had work there in malta then i went to other country and my visa now was expired. Now, i want to go back again in malta but i dont know how. But somebody wants to help me to invite me again in malta it is possible?

Hi ,

As you had a Maltese work permit in the past you know the procedure.It has not changed.

You will have to apply for the visa from your home country.A cover letter from someone inviting you will help.All the other requirements can be found on the embassy web sites.

The information you gave is not enough to give any specific advice.

I wish you luck with your plans.

Regards
Ricky

Hello,

We are South Africans living in England.  We are considering moving to Malta.

Do we have to be in SA to apply to live in Malta, or can we apply from England?

Thanks for your time

Gillian.

Hi Gillian,

I'm not quite sure. As the UK is not part of the Schengen area

you might be able to apply for the Schengen visa to visit Malta at

the Maltese embassy in the UK ( probably London ).I don't think

your visa for the UK covers the Schengen area.

For a residence permit in Malta you should check the different

categories and conditions.

If you want to work in Malta it could get difficult.

What are your plans for Malta ? Do you want to work, set up a

business or are you economically self-sufficient or retired ?

I wish you luck with your plans.

Ricky

Leave it to Ricky to be on vacation in another country and still help out here....

Ricky, when I am feeling better I'll raise a pint to you.

Chad

my husband's income comes from an internet business, so no jobs in Malta, just earning money and paying them annual tax for it.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Gillian.

Hi Gillian,

From my understanding you will have to apply for the CIR certificate for the Permanent Residence Scheme at the Maltese consulate in your home country ie South Africa.But check it out and all the conditions and documents that are required.

This scheme is under Maltese not EU law so it does not automatically allow you to travel to other Schengen countries. But as you have a visa for the UK you should be ok to travel to and from England.

Ricky

gillianbowen wrote:

my husband's income comes from an internet business, so no jobs in Malta.

Be very, very careful about this - are you saying he won't be sitting at a PC in Malta doing internet business ?