Seek comment on working live in Riyadh (Urgent)

I am a Hong Kong Chinese and has been offered a job in Riyadh as a quantity surveyor in construction industry.

As I have not yet accepted the job offer, your comment on the working live in Riyadh would be a great help for my decision.

Thanks a lot.

Hi fsylee,

I don't think any comment can be of any great value, you know you're asking about work and life which is the whole purpose of this forum and simply cannot be summerized in a comment or even a long post. I suggest you go through the material already available on the forum and if anything is still unclear you can ask us specific questions and then I hope we'll be more helpful

Basically, life in Riyadh for foreigners must be reasonably acceptable and good or else you will not see almost 10 million of them coming to live and work here.

What you need to assess for yourself is whether the tax free money you make here is reasonably a good reason for you to give up your present lifestyle and adopt a new one within the rules and regulations of thge Summer Heat of 55C, strict Islamic Shariah Law and a bungling government beuracracy.

foreigners must be reasonably acceptable and good or else you will not see almost 10 million of them coming to live and work here.

9,900,000 of them are leaving someplace WORSE.. which doesn't necessariy make this place GOOD (just better than what they left).

I really think this is the whole key as to whether or not one 'makes' it living in Saudia.  If you're leaving a wonderful life at home that you LOVE just for money, I don't think you'll be happy here (I quote:  'It's not worth it.').

However, if you're really ready for a change (as I was), or if you're bringing the important things in your life with you (ie. your family), I think you'll do okay :)

I have offered a job in an University in Riyadh. I am being offered 7000 SR + accomodation allowance. Is it sufficient to have a decent life with family (wife & kid). I have a decent job in India.

Pl. advice so that I can decide accordingly.

thanks in advance
bhutto

bhutto, we get this question at least once a week.

PLEASE read those threads we have already taken the time to reply to  and if you have anything different to ask, we'll be happy to help, if we can :)

Salary is way too low.

You can do better.

Allie is right.  Please read the numerous threads with information that will answer your question.