Food in Jakarta

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Jakarta at the end of the year and I'm excited but at the same time I'm a bit worried about the food over there.  It normally takes me a while for my stomach to adjust to different foods - any recommendations for safe hygienic places to eat in Jakarta?  How bout the water?   

cheers - selma :/

Hi Selma,

You can start with food at a decent restaurants at the beginning,then move to foodcourt then streetfood (if you have a strong stomach,you'll be fine) 
Go to Indonesian restos like Sate Senayan,Kedai Kak Ani and Dapoer Solo. They serve pretty good food :)

Welcome to Indonesia in advance.

Stay away from spicy food. Choose more vegetarian options to start with. Start eating rice and noodles now and visit more popular restaurants when you arrive.
Dont drink the water.  Buy bottled like Aqua and avoid ice from street vendors and small restaurants.

You could search for carrefour indonesia and look through their food catalogue on line to help you see its not all bats dogs and chicken feet you can eat as well!

Apart from that welcome to Indonesia.

It's in Indonesia - caveat emptor and make sure you have lots of anti-diarrhea medicine.

thanks for the advice Sophie. 
I'm off to my first Indonesian restaurant in nz... took me a while to find one here I'm up for adventure if all else fails just eat the rice he! he!

cheers selma

yandri wrote:

Hi Selma,..dont worry about food in indonesia, cause many place and kind of food you can find in supermarket and shooping center. it isn't just indonesian food. I will help you to guide in indonesia.  :)

thanks yandri! 
a friend of mine just got back from Bali and said they spent half their trip in the bathroom... 
let's hope that's not me,  could do with a guide.

cheers selma

lukereg wrote:

Stay away from spicy food. Choose more vegetarian options to start with. Start eating rice and noodles now and visit more popular restaurants when you arrive.
Dont drink the water.  Buy bottled like Aqua and avoid ice from street vendors and small restaurants.

You could search for carrefour indonesia and look through their food catalogue on line to help you see its not all bats dogs and chicken feet you can eat as well!

Apart from that welcome to Indonesia.

Thank you lukereg for that very useful information.
Good thing I love rice and noodles. 
So how long have you been living in Indonesia?

talk soon
cheers selma

dtwantany wrote:

It's in Indonesia - caveat emptor and make sure you have lots of anti-diarrhea medicine.

thanks for that dtwantany - anti- diarrhea medicine will definitely be on my shopping list!

cheers selma

My advice dont stop it unless you have to travel. Let it out. When you arrive make sure you find po chi pills which are carbon activated. Really good chinese medicine.

Its myth thay blocking up will cure diarrhoea. Your body wants it gone so trust your body. If you do get a bad stomach upset stay off anti biotics unless it does not get better then  only after you have seen a dr.

I have been here 7 years and can count on one hand stomach upsets caused by indonesian food, whereas pizza and beer have caused me more problems.

no need to worry about food in Jakarta...if you think you can't handle Indonesian food then you still can find plenty of International restaurant here such as European, American, Italian, Asian, Middle East, Indian... we kinda have almost everything here, depends on what you like ...

but if you want to try Indonesian Food, go to recognizable Indonesian Restaurant and stay away from hawker food you see on the streets as they're not hygiene enough and some of them could cause you diarrhea or even worse typhoid fever...

Somebody can indicate me some good meat or fish  restaurants here in JKt? (excluding Bandar Jkt or Pondhak laguna).

I heard Baruna seafood resto in Menteng is good. Never tried though!
I tried Meat Me at Kota Kasablanka and the food is pretty good. Mostly steaks and home made sausages.

Also they have many seafood resto on Jalan Batu Tulis,Central Jakarta (same road with Pondok Laguna).

Oh, and Raja Rasa seafood and Sundanese on Ampera Raya is also pretty good. The resto is quite unique (resto&gallery).

DavideGranelli wrote:

Somebody can indicate me some good meat or fish  restaurants here in JKt? (excluding Bandar Jkt or Pondhak laguna).

I tried meat me near my apt, but it was expensive and platt wasn't big... :sosad: , how is eastern promise?

Eastern promise has Indian and british food, a few meat on the menu. Price is pretty okay for the portion,bigger than Meat Me.
You can try :)

DavideGranelli wrote:

I tried meat me near my apt, but it was expensive and platt wasn't big... :sosad: , how is eastern promise?

Yes I'll do it. How about sports? u can suggest me some forum?

I know some people here play badminton, I think you can search-engine it! And if you like playing pool,you can play at Eastern Promise. They do have a team ( that,if you consider Pool sport..lol).

DavideGranelli wrote:

Yes I'll do it. How about sports? u can suggest me some forum?

I like sports, i wuold like trying fishing, rafting, snorkeling

Then Google Thousand island..

DavideGranelli wrote:

I like sports, i wuold like trying fishing, rafting, snorkeling

i am missing Indonesian food here in Pakistan

Food in most restaurants in decent malls is quite safe, however, I have heard quite some stories of people who got light food poisoning or diarrhea after eating in restaurants that are considered 'clean'. But personally, I do not have much bad experiences.

A few things to be aware of:
- raw vegetables (I found a small worm several times in my lettuce/cucumber, in regular mall restaurants)
- ice tea with irregularly shaped ice cubes (they might have used dirty tap water instead of mineral water)
- chili sauce and other sauces in small bottles/boxes on the table (they are often on the table for a long time in quite high temperatures, not closed properly, and refilled without cleaning)
- clean your utensils (spoon, fork etc.) with a tissue before use. They are not always washed properly.

I would also recommend to have typhoid vaccination (I had mine at MRCCC Siloam), since I have heard quite some people who got typhoid (or 'typhoid symptoms', doctors here are sometimes a bit too enthusiastic in their diagnosis).

Hope this information is helpful!

Try and make some :)

kasih sayang wrote:

Sophie Fisher wrote:

kasih sayang wrote:

I'd also miss Indonesian food, but I'd stuff my face with all those wonderful Pakistani dishes.
The Pakistani restaurants we have in England are nothing short of fantastic.

To Indonesian street food.
Much of the problem is dirty dishes and metalwork.
Ask for the food wrapped (Dee bunkus - Phonetic spelling) and have a plastic knife, fork and spoon handy.
Never drink things with village produced ice, it's made from tap water, or worse, well/river water. Can be very nasty on the stomach.

That way you avoid the greatest dangers.

i agreed with u mas fred Pakistani food is yummy and last time when i visit my mother in indonesia i really miss Pakistani food now i back to Pakistan i really miss tahu tampa i know women some time too much demanding. :D

Sophie Fisher wrote:

kasih sayang wrote:

sophie i love cooking but here i cant find Indonesian ingredients. but thanks for your concerned

kasih sayang wrote:
Sophie Fisher wrote:

kasih sayang wrote:

sophie i love cooking but here i cant find Indonesian ingredients. but thanks for your concerned

pardon me madam but if u like i can arrange any kind of Indonesian ingredients. well i have an idea how about a toko Indonesia in Islamabad.well i hope that will help u in not missing Indonesian food here.so here is a deal just pick up phone and call not me to ur husband and tell him that in Islamabad F8 markaz near to govt girls collage there is a Indonesian toko and an Indonesian restaurant open recently. The owner of that toko is an Indonesian woman. thank u and enjoy. teramakasi

really wow if it is true i shell be very thankful to Allah then you. i try to visit there today please Allah that gonna be true

kasih sayang wrote:

really wow if it is true i shell be very thankful to Allah then you. i try to visit there today please Allah that gonna be true

ok if u find that place just bring a gift for me ok madam

what sort of gift?

syed zee wrote:
kasih sayang wrote:

syed zee wrote:
kasih sayang wrote:

are you asking for bribe.very bad syed zee you should be sorry.but any way thanks for that information i found that place it is amazing but it make my husband unhappy because yesterday i shop about 12000 Rs (120 Dollar). he is asking who told u about that place well but you dont worry i did not tell him your name. ;)  By the way thank you again

Sophie Fisher wrote:

what sort of gift?

syed zee wrote:
kasih sayang wrote:

well it could be any thing let me thing oooooooooooo no i am joking. and kasih u dont have to bribe me and thanks for saving me from ur husband.  :top::lol:  jokes a part but i am happy to help u know u can enjoy living in Pakistan

:thanks::thanks::thanks::one:one:one:one:one:thanks::thanks::thanks:  that is for you

water is always safe, we all drink bottled water

foodwise, I dont think I have heard any severe case, as long as you dont challenge your stomach and purchase food from hawker you should be fine. fast food is a way to go, it'll give you cancer after awhile (but nowadays, what doesnt?)