Moving to chile. clever idea?

Dear expats and locals of Chile,

My mother tongue is not English and my knowledge of spanish is pretty much very simple ,maybe A2-B1 DELE,never officially tested or learn it in school. I finished Msc in Pharmaceutical science and my wife is graphic designer and painter. we have a dog and would like to raze kids in Chile. Do you think is good idea? since your country is very expensive and big difference between rich and poor people. Can our kids get chile citizenship by birth? we are relatively young 25 and 32.my goal is maybe to apply for some academia job in public university sector.
do you suggest any part of chile that is not capital and have reasonable prices and costs  of living? with good local and open minded environment?

Hi!!

Well if i´m not wronge, if ur babies born in Chile, they will be chileans.
If you want more open job positions, you should consider the capital , SANTIAGO OF CHILE.
If not, you wont get many jobs open, but you have Viña del Mar, Valparaíso, Talca or Concepcion, where are a lot of universities, but for be an academic you need to have a Magister or a Phd.

It will be required speak spanish if you want to do anything here i´m afraid, we don´t have any country neighbor that speak another language than spanish, so people don´t speak too much english, and we don´t speak good! hahaha, so at least 40% of the words, are chilean pronunciations or creations.

Chile is a good life to live, we are one of the lider in the sudamerican region, is quite safe than other cities.

hey Ricardo,
yes I have Master and PhD... my spanish is more or less basic, but is it necessary for academia? is it strict rule that lecture and  papers should be held or published in spanish only?

There are some postgrades that are in english, you should try too in private universities, because there is a lot that have more investment in education, and has a Phd here is not commun at all, so that is really good.

In this web you could search about all the chilean universities and their careers (including postgrades)
http://www.cnachile.cl/

Good luck!

hey, Thank you for this info...its really helpful.
So you want to say that in Chile private universities are better then public?

mmm... no, if you want to study in a private university or public one, you should pay almost the same cash!, is not a big difference, but i would like to share the ranking of universities.

Type of University
-------------------------------
- Estatal: Public
- Privada Tradicional: Private nonprofit
- Privada Autónoma: Private

RANKING ! (Best 1 to 20 in order )
University - City - Type of University
-------------------
U. DE CHILE    Santiago    Estatal
PONTIFICIA U. CATÓLICA DE CHILE    Santiago    Privada Tradicional
U. DE CONCEPCIÓN    Concepción    Privada Tradicional
U. DE SANTIAGO DE CHILE    Santiago    Estatal
PONTIFICIA U. CATÓLICA DE VALPARAÍSO    Valparaíso    Privada Tradicional
>>> U. TÉCNICA FEDERICO SANTA MARÍA    Viña del Mar    Privada Tradicional (THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!)
U. DE TALCA    Talca    Estatal
U. AUSTRAL DE CHILE    Valdivia    Privada Tradicional
U. ADOLFO IBÁÑEZ    Santiago    Privada Autónoma
U. CATÓLICA DEL NORTE    Antofagasta    Privada Tradicional
U. DE LOS ANDES    Santiago    Privada Autónoma
U. DIEGO PORTALES    Santiago    Privada Autónoma
U. DE LA FRONTERA    Temuco    Estatal
U. ANDRÉS BELLO    Santiago    Privada Autónoma
U. DEL DESARROLLO    Santiago    Privada Autónoma
U. DE VALPARAÍSO    Valparaíso    Estatal
U. DEL BÍO-BÍO    Concepción    Estatal
U. MAYOR    Santiago    Privada Autónoma