ENGLISH TEACHING JOBS IN HANOI

Hye guys . I really need some information and I would appreciate whatever help I can get. I am a non-native English Teacher. I have been teaching in Malaysia for 7 years. Mostly in Korean Academies. I didnt finish my degree in Business due to financial problems. I was doing the American degree program and it required 120 credits to obtain the degree but after 107 credits I had to drop out. I am originally from Pakistan but grew up in Florida, USA. I have got Diploma in TESOL . I was wondering if i can still find a job in Hanoi? Would it be a problem getting the work permit? How about the salary? THANKS ALL.

u can easily find an english teaching job paying 1500 bucks/month. many of my friends have the job. it s good that u have TESOL. The center will give you work permit which helps extending ur visa.

I really appreciate that mate. So if i come there on a visit visa, The academies can change it into working permit right?

Hi! Can you help me find or introduce me to the schools that pay 1500 as you mentioned? Just a little help please

already send u private mess!

Yeah, most of notable English training center here help you to solve visa problems. they have an administrator specializing in taking care for daily life matters for foreign teachers..

I have friends coming from Australia, Trinidat, Finland, America, anywhere... currently teaching in Hanoi. They are typically paid $30/hour,12hours/week. most of them tend to balance work and leisure, i see them normally dont work much, always out at night in the old quater, camping or riding motorbike to out of the city on weekend. for some, i guess, they are having better job, better lifestyle than in their homeland. if not, what is the reason they are living in this city.

Well you know I am not a white guy. Do you think I can still get a job and working permit ? I mean countries like Korea or china favor only white teachers.

Well, it s hard to answer ur ques exactly. but normally, yeah, it s true that ppl still prefer white ppl  cuz they are typical native speaker.

Still, the answer depends on many aspects. If you are qualified all the requirements of the job description, your voice is pleasant to the ear, your manner is  standardized, you are well present etc., you are still a competent candidate for the vacancy.

At least, if you are already in hanoi, you can contact to many other English center which are not offically advertised for a job vacancy. There are many which will hire you with a bit lower rate compared to big centers like British council.

Neway, i think you should not be pessimistic and racist that much cuz i have a Trinidad friend earning life for two by teaching English. She is coloured but her voice is American standardized.

Thanks mate. You know just because of my past experiences I have been demotivated but I am gonna come to hanoi and check out the academies. I really appreciate the information you gave me. I would remember this and you would be the first person I am going to buy a beer in hanoi. Cheers.

Stefiand Pete wrote:

Well, it s hard to answer ur ques exactly. but normally, yeah, it s true that ppl still prefer white ppl  cuz they are typical native speaker.

Still, the answer depends on many aspects. If you are qualified all the requirements of the job description, your voice is pleasant to the ear, your manner is  standardized, you are well present etc., you are still a competent candidate for the vacancy.

At least, if you are already in hanoi, you can contact to many other English center which are not offically advertised for a job vacancy. There are many which will hire you with a bit lower rate compared to big centers like British council.

Neway, i think you should not be pessimistic and racist that much cuz i have a Trinidad friend earning life for two by teaching English. She is coloured but her voice is American standardized.

This is good info to hear, I am a Vietnamese American looking to teach ESL in Hanoi and was worried about this issue. I only have an Associate College Degree, do you think that will hurt my chances on getting a job, even lower paying? I would like to think my voice is pleasant to the ear as you would say  :)

@peterpan: I dont think your Associate Degree will lower ur chance to find a teaching job, and have a competitive wage. Ppl pay more attention to your ESL degree as a mandatory criteria. You will be assessed on you demo teaching session. I think that makes sense cuz your ability to explain and transfer ideas to students is the most important thing.

This demo teaching session? Do they give you time to prepare a lesson?

yeah, of course, when you are in the short list, they will notice you by mail or phone. Normally by email, in which they give you a detail instruction on the recruitment process. For ex., Round 1: interview by the academic officer on....Round 2: Demo teaching session. Content: Writing an essay in IELTS/ Listening Strategies etc. They sometimes allow you to chose a topic of your interest. So you have several days to a week to think and prepare.

Oh okay. That's good. So I have to walk in and pass my CV in many academies. I hope I get a job as soon as possible.

Sure,Where there s a will, there s a way!

True. So how long have you been staying in hanoi? How is the night life and what's good on the weekends to do?

Stefiand Pete wrote:

@peterpan: I dont think your Associate Degree will lower ur chance to find a teaching job, and have a competitive wage. Ppl pay more attention to your ESL degree as a mandatory criteria. You will be assessed on you demo teaching session. I think that makes sense cuz your ability to explain and transfer ideas to students is the most important thing.

Hi, thanks so much for all the info, very helpful. I actually don't have a ESL degree at the moment, do you suggest I get one or do I need one?

Thanks again.

U should have CELTA/TRINITY/TESOL