New to Toronto

NEW TO TORONTO

Hi all,

I recently moved to Toronto, about a month ago, and I'm still trying to get my life sorted. My work background is international hospitality management and even though there are a lot of hotels in town, it's proven hard to find a job in my related field.

The next thing is that I find it hard to make friends and that's actually the main reason I signed up here. Anybody thoughts or suggestions on how to meet people?

Thank you!

Hi Eef_P,

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/Welcome-banner.jpg

On behalf of everybody at Expat-blog welcome on board. I hope your experience here will be both enjoyable and informative.

Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver have been the three cities most chosen by newcomers to Canada for decades now and as such they really have been saturated.

This makes finding employment in any of those cities a daunting task indeed, since when there is a job vacancy of any kind you will find yourself competing not only with all the other newcomers, but also with all the unemployed local residents too. You've really got to have lots of patience and determination. Good luck!

Regarding finding new friends, perhaps you should start by joining some community social or cultural associations. Toronto has a relatively large community of every ethnic group so you'll even find a group for your own countrymen as well should you begin to feel homesick.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

I have a really great idea. Do you have $10 and the weekdays(Monday-Thursday) free?

Right now, I don't have week days off. I might next week though. What's the suggestion?

I recently joined an activity group. $10 would allow you to play on a sports team. I'm going to basketball this Tuesday; however, there is other sports events you can join

That sounds great! Exactly something I'd enjoy. Where is it and do I need to sign up beforehand?

Yes. You need to reserve a spot. Private message me your email, I can forward you the details

dear i am looking job there know i am in gcc so can u help me

Hello Eef_P   My company is hosting an event on June 20th at the Allstream Centre.  Lost of great people, good place to meet new friends.  My wife Michealle and I could get you a couple of free tickets if you are interested.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Only just found the notification email as is got send to my spam inbox.

What kind of event is it? I know by now it's really short notice as it's tomorrow so I'm not even sure you can still have me, but never hurts to inquire right.

Thanks,
Eef

Hey, luckily there are events in Toronto tonight as well!  They are expecting around 1,000 attendees, and this company attracts great people, so you should go!  =)  Following our explosive growth in the US over our 33 months in business, we've chosen Canada as the first of many countries in which we are expanding.  The meeting is from 7:30-9:00pm at the Allstream Centre.  If you will send me your contact info, I can send you the phone # of our friend, Mindy, who said she'd be happy to meet you there.

hi
i am tahir i am in Dubai i am aslo alone please feel free contact me

This website is good for meeting new friends who are also expats. You can also try Kijiji but all adds are mixed up so it may take awhile to sift through them. If you have any interests and are looking for a partner (like dancing, sports or hobbies) you can try needsomebuddy.com. if you want to meet a whole group of people, try meetup.com

Hi, have you heard of "New Canadians Social Group" on MeetUp.com ?

It's a totally unsolicited (NOT to promote business)  social group.
They usually held small group of gathering at coffee shop,  language exchange...etc

You can meet like-minded people there.