Reasons for moving to Vietnam

Hi Everyone,

Just curious what other peoples reasons for moving to Vietnam have been. I've visited a couple times and am contemplating really trying it out next winter.

I'll start with my reasons. In a transitional stage of life, just turned 39. Have been an entrepreneur(small retail business) most of my adult life but decided that's not what I want anymore. Having a difficult time finding a job in the states with my skill set. No Bachelors degree, only an Associates. Could probably find a job doing something I would hate or go back to school to get my Bachelors but neither sounds that appealing right now. Was able to save some money, have no debt and no plans for kids, no interest in the conventional "keeping up with the joneses" stuff. Left Vietnam for the US when I was two weeks old. I understand why people originally came to the USA, for the good ole "American Dream" but as America is becoming more and more class divided, that idea is quickly diminishing, it' s hard out there these days. I feel like reversing the idea makes sense, meaning someone who has some money and skill set could go back to Vietnam and make a living for themselves. I'm very appreciative and grateful of what opportunities I have experienced growing up in the US but with no prospects in sight, moving somewhere where it would be much cheaper to live and enjoy life simply seems like a good plan. Riding a motorbike around, spending nothing on gas, warmer weather, living simply and cheaper, working odd jobs, being able to live off that, seems like heaven too me...am I crazy?

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

What do you plan to do here for work? You're not qualified to teach English and I don't see where you mentioned and special skill. You say you don't want the "American Dream" but you know what the "Vietnamese Dream" is? Moving to the USA. It sounds to me like you're going through some mid-life crisis and are looking for an easy life where you don't have to work. My personal feeling is that if you can't make it in the U.S. you can't make it anywhere.

I'm always amazes my how someone with no prospects in the west thinks moving to the east will give them better opportunities.

peterpan75 wrote:

Riding a motorbike around, spending nothing on gas, warmer weather, living simply and cheaper, working odd jobs, being able to live off that, seems like heaven too me...am I crazy?

You had me until the "working odd jobs" part.  Who will hire you, and to do what?  Perhaps you could teach english, after getting a teaching certificate, but other than that, your job prospects in Vietnam won't be any better than the US.  And why do you want a job?  And a boss?  Yuck.

In my opinion, you're better off using your entrepreneurial skills to start some sort of business.  I see many young foreigners doing that in HCMC.  For example, I know a couple of guys from France who opened a restaurant in District 1 with very low startup costs, at least compared to Europe.  Since you're Viet Kieu, you probably have an advantage when starting a business.

The basic rule of thumb is for every $15,000 you have in the bank, you can live in Vietnam for 1 year.   I'd encourage you to do this, spend a year to make some connections, and see if you can start your own business.  Leave yourself enough money in the bank so you can return home if you find out it's not for you, but if you don't try, you will always wish you had.

Yeah it does sound like he's going through a mid-life crisis.  Almost 40, no kids, no wife, no job prospects, even in USA.

You really can't just work "odd jobs" because who will hire you over a local?  You're a Viet Kieu so that's maybe an advantage for you in terms of knowing Vietnamese, but they're not going to offer you a higher wage just because you're from USA.  And most people in Vietnam only earn a few hundred dollars a month anyway.

Also, you can't really say you'll drive a motorbike and spend nothing on gas, because gas in Vietnam (at least in Saigon), is more expensive than in Canada (24,000VND/L, which is $1.20/L), and its already too expensive for the average Vietnamese.

You could try to start up a business in Vietnam, it is relatively inexpensive to do so, but you should hire a consultant or lawyer to help you navigate through all the legalities so that you don't end up signing something you don't understand.

Hello,

I appreciate all the comments, I like hearing peoples opinions, thank you. I would be the first person to admit that this is some sort of escape. Mid life crisis? Sure, but I guess depends on how you want to look at it. But in all honesty, an adult choosing not to have a wife, kids or not wanting to work some whatever job in their life is a conscious life decision that I don't think anyone can look down on them for.

Saying that I wouldn't have opportunity in Vietnam vs the US seems like a bit much. I have tons of business development skills and graphic/web design skills. Is everyone telling me there is no possible chance I could get hired for a low paying $12 hour english teaching job even without a certificate?! Mind you, $12 in Vietnam would go a long way, in the US...not so much. And I am aware Viet Kieu usually get discriminated against with English teaching jobs but I still believe I could get one. 

Also, you can't really say you'll drive a motorbike and spend nothing on gas, because gas in Vietnam (at least in Saigon), is more expensive than in Canada (24,000VND/L, which is $1.20/L), and its already too expensive for the average Vietnamese.

Just curious, do you know how much it cost to fill a tank in the states? Average is $40. How far do you get with motor bike on $40.

Fact is, you can't deny living is more inexpensive in Vietnam vs the US.

Comments appreciated.

First off, forget the mid-life crisis thing.  That's just something people say to discourage you.  Ignore them.  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Tyler Durden

Second, yes, you can teach english, but you have to ask yourself if that's really a good use of your time.  I would consider it as a last resort if I were you as it doesn't sound like teaching is your passion.  Another thing to consider is you aren't caucasian and english schools want caucasians to teach english, because that's what their customers want.  Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Third, yes, Vietnam is cheaper than the US, but it's not free.  If you want to live a comfortable, but not extravagent lifestyle, by western standards, then you need to budget roughly $1200 per month, or roughly 4 times the average working wage in Vietnam.  If you don't have a huge amount of savings, you need to consider the best way to make money, which leads me to:

Fourth, starting your own business can be far more lucrative than teaching.  For example, you can rent a "house" in HCMC for $800 per month if you look around.  The ground floor is suitable for some type of business -- a coffee shop, a restaurant, a bar, currency exchange, use your imagination.  The house will then have multiple floors that you can rent out as apartments/flats.  If you're smart about it, you can live there rent-free, or even have a positive cashflow off your tenants.  Whatever business you have on the first floor is then pure profit -- assuming it's cashflow positive.

I'm not suggesting this is an "easy" way to make money, but if it was easy, every damn fool would be doing it.  If you have cash to play with, and have other advantages, like you speak both english and vietnamese, some design skills, and you're Viet Kieu, then take advantage of them.  Figure out what you have to offer and capitalize on that.

Looking at your situation, you have several advantages I don't have, and there's no way I would resort to teaching english, unless I'm flat broke.  You should only teach if it's what you really love.  Otherwise you're wasting everybody's time and in a few years you'll be just as miserable as you are now.

There are many young entrepreneurs in HCMC who want what you want:  A better lifestyle than the West, but still making enough money to live comfortably.  A lot of them will even help you, because they believe that in order for them to succeed, you don't have to fail.  Sell everything you have and go.  Don't waste another minute trying to be a wage-slave in the US.

DanFromSF wrote:

First off, forget the mid-life crisis thing.  That's just something people say to discourage you.  Ignore them.  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Tyler Durden

Second, yes, you can teach english, but you have to ask yourself if that's really a good use of your time.  I would consider it as a last resort if I were you as it doesn't sound like teaching is your passion.  Another thing to consider is you aren't caucasian and english schools want caucasians to teach english, because that's what their customers want.  Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Third, yes, Vietnam is cheaper than the US, but it's not free.  If you want to live a comfortable, but not extravagent lifestyle, by western standards, then you need to budget roughly $1200 per month, or roughly 4 times the average working wage in Vietnam.  If you don't have a huge amount of savings, you need to consider the best way to make money, which leads me to:

Fourth, starting your own business can be far more lucrative than teaching.  For example, you can rent a "house" in HCMC for $800 per month if you look around.  The ground floor is suitable for some type of business -- a coffee shop, a restaurant, a bar, currency exchange, use your imagination.  The house will then have multiple floors that you can rent out as apartments/flats.  If you're smart about it, you can live there rent-free, or even have a positive cashflow off your tenants.  Whatever business you have on the first floor is then pure profit -- assuming it's cashflow positive.

I'm not suggesting this is an "easy" way to make money, but if it was easy, every damn fool would be doing it.  If you have cash to play with, and have other advantages, like you speak both english and vietnamese, some design skills, and you're Viet Kieu, then take advantage of them.  Figure out what you have to offer and capitalize on that.

Looking at your situation, you have several advantages I don't have, and there's no way I would resort to teaching english, unless I'm flat broke.  You should only teach if it's what you really love.  Otherwise you're wasting everybody's time and in a few years you'll be just as miserable as you are now.

There are many young entrepreneurs in HCMC who want what you want:  A better lifestyle than the West, but still making enough money to live comfortably.  A lot of them will even help you, because they believe that in order for them to succeed, you don't have to fail.  Sell everything you have and go. Don't waste another minute trying to be a wage-slave in the US.

Thank you... exactly.
I get what you're saying about teaching, I guess teaching has always been something i wanted to try and why not do it for a bit while I'm there. I just feel like it would give me something to do while I search out other oppertunities if there are any.

$1200 a month...really?! I live on less here in the states. Let's do a generalized quick breakdown...one bedroom apartment: $550(max), food: $200(I'm not even sure this may be high), leisure: $100.  What else am I missing?

Thanks for the comment my friend!

peterpan75 wrote:

$1200 a month...really?! I live on less here in the states. Let's do a generalized quick breakdown...one bedroom apartment: $550(max), food: $200(I'm not even sure this may be high), leisure: $100.  What else am I missing?

Where and how you live will affect your budget, obviously, and some people will tell you it's $2500 per month and some will say $800.   For me, the place to live is District 1 in HCMC and $1200 is comfortable, but not extravagant.  You might be able to spend $1000 or less, but it's not a lot of fun.  Realistically, it's about $1200 if you're not a party animal, nor a complete shut-in.

If you want to live in rural Vietnam, you can spend way less.  But, what will you do there, other than wish that rooster that keeps waking you at 5 am is your dinner?  Just curious:  How much time have you spent in Vietnam?

DanFromSF wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Where and how you live will affect your budget, obviously, and some people will tell you it's $2500 per month and some will say $800.   For me, the place to live is District 1 in HCMC and $1200 is comfortable, but not extravagant.  You might be able to spend $1000 or less, but it's not a lot of fun.  Realistically, it's about $1200 if you're not a party animal, nor a complete shut-in.

If you want to live in rural Vietnam, you can spend way less.  But, what will you do there, other than wish that rooster that keeps waking you at 5 am is your dinner?  Just curious:  How much time have you spent in Vietnam?

Hi,

I spent a total of 4 or so months two years in a row. I'm a pretty simple person, in the way I live and I'm good with my money. Hence, being very unconventional and not excess western if you know what I mean. I just think I'll be able to live a bit more there vs. worrying about every penny here in the states. I really think $800 is the range I'd be looking at in Hanoi.

Not that it really matters but as far as I'm concerned, I did "make it" in the US, I had a couple successful ventures doing what I wanted, lived off my passions, made a difference, saved a decent chunk of change that will hopefully take care of me for a while.

You might think just spending a few hundred dollars a month will be sufficient because, if the average vietnamese can earn $200-$300 a month and make it, why can't you right?  Keep in mind, most Vietnamese live together under one roof, and collectively pool their resources and thus, spread their expenses together.  No one can seriously live on their own on that kind of salary.

Well I've lived in Vietnam for several months, and trust me, you'd be surprised how much you're spending.  I think I was spending at least $1500/month, even though food was only $2-$3 a meal.

My wife's father owns property and rents them out, and he makes a pretty good living.  Good enough that even her brother who lives in Australia needs to borrow money from him :P.  So I think that's an area you should look into.  But if you do anything, you should consult someone because I honestly don't trust anyone involved in business in Vietnam.

mikeymyke wrote:

You might think just spending a few hundred dollars a month will be sufficient because, if the average vietnamese can earn $200-$300 a month and make it, why can't you right?  Keep in mind, most Vietnamese live together under one roof, and collectively pool their resources and thus, spread their expenses together.  No one can seriously live on their own on that kind of salary.

Well I've lived in Vietnam for several months, and trust me, you'd be surprised how much you're spending.  I think I was spending at least $1500/month, even though food was only $2-$3 a meal.

My wife's father owns property and rents them out, and he makes a pretty good living.  Good enough that even her brother who lives in Australia needs to borrow money from him :P.  So I think that's an area you should look into.  But if you do anything, you should consult someone because I honestly don't trust anyone involved in business in Vietnam.

Hi,

I appreciate your comments. Just curious, you saw how I added everything up, I'm still wondering where you believe I would be spending more than what I'm accounting for. I'm not taking trips every month, spending money on vacations and excess, so where is the $600 + I will have to spend coming from?

I love it when people solicit advice, people give it to them, and then they argue about it. :D

Look, you may be able to live on less -- I doubt it, but it's quite possible.  I suggest you budget $1200 per month -- mikeymyke suggests bit more.  If you spend less, that's great.  If not, you aren't surprised because we told you so.  There's no sense in beating a dead horse.

DanFromSF wrote:

I love it when people solicit advice, people give it to them, and then they argue about it. :D

Look, you may be able to live on less -- I doubt it, but it's quite possible.  I suggest you budget $1200 per month -- mikeymyke suggests bit more.  If you spend less, that's great.  If not, you aren't surprised because we told you so.  There's no sense in beating a dead horse.

Haha...no argument my friend. Just wondering where the extra expenses are coming from but it's all good. I'll budget for more and and if I spend less, it's a pleasant surprise.

"$1200 a month...really?! I live on less here in the states. Let's do a generalized quick breakdown...one bedroom apartment: $550(max), food: $200(I'm not even sure this may be high), leisure: $100.  What else am I missing?"

Again your expenses will vary depending on location.  I'll break down what you would pay in HCMC, for example:

Rent for 1 bed apartment: $400
Utilities/TV/Internet: $30
Food: $300 (assuming $3/meal, 3x meal a day)
Gas: $50 (assuming you fill up once a week, 10 L tank)
Entertainment: $200 (you can't honestly tell me you could live on $100/month for entertainment :P)

Total: $980/month.

It sounds good, but trust me, there will be many unexpected expenses in the future, most people usually over budget.  Come to think of it, I think I spent $1500 because I have some family here in VN and I tend to treat them out a lot.

mikeymyke wrote:

"$1200 a month...really?! I live on less here in the states. Let's do a generalized quick breakdown...one bedroom apartment: $550(max), food: $200(I'm not even sure this may be high), leisure: $100.  What else am I missing?"

Again your expenses will vary depending on location.  I'll break down what you would pay in HCMC, for example:

Entertainment: $200 (you can't honestly tell me you could live on $100/month for entertainment :P)

It sounds good, but trust me, there will be many unexpected expenses in the future, most people usually over budget.  Come to think of it, I think I spent $1500 because I have some family here in VN and I tend to treat them out a lot.

Thanks for the breakdown mikeymyke! Yeah, I can see where all those numbers come from, not sure if I'll be hitting all those amounts but it's good to know. I'll definitely over budget just to be safe.

Im in the same boat as you peterpan.   Im contemplating moving here and teaching because i love working with children.   As for the monthly budget it depends on your lifestyle.    If im only here for 3 months t typically spend 2-3 thousand per month.   If i stay an additional 3 months it falls to 1,500$ per month.   But but keep in mind most of the expenses are from gifts, traveling and meals for relatives/friends.   If i were to live here year round i can live on 600-800$ per month.   I stay in Bien Hoa so cost of living is cheaper.

Food = 200$ (meals here average 1.50$ plus beverage.   I only eat 2 meals per day and not being a drinker helps)
Room = 300$ (including water & electricity)
Gas = 40$ (i put in about 5$ weekly)
Entertainment & misc expenses = 100-500$ (depends on my mood)

If i were to live here full time i can live on a budget of 600-800$ per month.   Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

OBB wrote:

Im in the same boat as you peterpan.   Im contemplating moving here and teaching because i love working with children.   As for the monthly budget it depends on your lifestyle.    If im only here for 3 months t typically spend 2-3 thousand per month.   If i stay an additional 3 months it falls to 1,500$ per month.   But but keep in mind most of the expenses are from gifts, traveling and meals for relatives/friends.   If i were to live here year round i can live on 600-800$ per month.   I stay in Bien Hoa so cost of living is cheaper.

Food = 200$ (meals here average 1.50$ plus beverage.   I only eat 2 meals per day and not being a drinker helps)
Room = 300$ (including water & electricity)
Gas = 40$ (i put in about 5$ weekly)
Entertainment & misc expenses = 100-500$ (depends on my mood)

If i were to live here full time i can live on a budget of 600-800$ per month.   Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Thanks OBB! Yeah, my lifestyle seems typical to yours, not much of a drinker and if I do, it will probably be dollar beers :) once in a while.

So what are your reasons you want to move and do you have any degree or teaching certificate, only ask since your speaking about teaching.

By the way, anyone else care to share there reasons why they want to give up there current situation to move to Vietnam?

wow. I would be happy with renting a place for 235$ a month in Da Nang. that would be the HIGH end of my budget. maybe you guys are all rich / in an expensive area in the expensive city or getting ripped off.

I'll pay more to live somewhere other than Da Nang.

smellymoo wrote:

wow. I would be happy with renting a place for 235$ a month in Da Nang. that would be the HIGH end of my budget. maybe you guys are all rich / in an expensive area in the expensive city or getting ripped off.

Hi,

Not sure I get what you are saying here? I think you are saying they are spending too much or saying it cost more than it does to live in Vietnam? If so, I sort of agree but everyone lives differently.

That's not a crazy idea of you moving to Vietnam.  What strike me as strange is that you immigrated to the States at a very young age and yet you didn't complete your education.  Ashamed really.   People dream of moving to the States to complete their education and yet you didn't seize that opportunity.

Also, I just want to let you know that native Vietnamese are very biased toward hiring foreigners without a college degree.  I understand you have an associate but that's equivalent to a 50 cents greeting card.  Point being, make sure you know what you are getting into and what the companies are requiring when you are applying to companies in Vietnam. 

Lastly, I wish you the best of luck with your optimism.  I will join you as I am moving to Vietnam in Jan 2015 in hope for a new change.

- Tin Tin

Adhome1 - Brilliantly stated.  If you can't make it in the USA (where there are plenty of opportunities) so how will someone plan on thriving in a "cut-throat" society/country?   I agree with you Adhome1.

Mikeymyke - you hit the budget right on the dot!  I am budgeting $1000-$1200 a month in SG (District 1-2).  I am not moving back to VN to live like a local (aka. Sharing a bedroom with 3 other people)

Tin Tin

mikeymyke wrote:

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

That's not a crazy idea of you moving to Vietnam.  What strike me as strange is that you immigrated to the States at a very young age and yet you didn't complete your education.  Ashamed really.   People dream of moving to the States to complete their education and yet you didn't seize that opportunity.

Also, I just want to let you know that native Vietnamese are very biased toward hiring foreigners without a college degree.  I understand you have an associate but that's equivalent to a 50 cents greeting card.  Point being, make sure you know what you are getting into and what the companies are requiring when you are applying to companies in Vietnam. 

Lastly, I wish you the best of luck with your optimism.  I will join you as I am moving to Vietnam in Jan 2015 in hope for a new change.

- Tin Tin

Ashamed really?! That's a bit much. I'm sorry Tin, appreciate your input but after that comment and the picture of you in the suit in your avatar, I understand who I'm dealing with. Sorry, I was too busy starting local businesses, having life experience, making an honest living and adding to communities. Not everyone is meant for academics. That's the beauty of America isn't it?! Freedom of choice.

Also, while we're here. Curious, what's your situation Tin, age, occupation, status, etc..and why are you moving to Vietnam?

Hi, i had the same ideas as you. I lived in Australia and felt the cost of living is really hight, parking fines are like $150 and for speaking on your mobile phone it is like $300 and I was getting a few of those a month. As I was running my own businesses as well the cost of compliance in time and money was driving me up the wall. I am the same age as you and so 2 years ago after spending 10 years on and off in China (related to my import export business) i decided to make Vietnam my base. It has some advantages, low wages so you can recruit workers, I was born here and speak the language ok, corruption -so you can pretty much get most things done if you got the cash, good food, central in a dynamic region, good economic prospects, etc....disadvantages are the humid tropical weather, the tropical diseases you might get that you won't get back home, the general half-arsed shit that you will only get in a third world country etc..But over all I have been very happy with the move. With the internet you can really operate out of anywhere...

bongolongo wrote:

Hi, i had the same ideas as you. I lived in Australia and felt the cost of living is really hight, parking fines are like $150 and for speaking on your mobile phone it is like $300 and I was getting a few of those a month. As I was running my own businesses as well the cost of compliance in time and money was driving me up the wall. I am the same age as you and so 2 years ago after spending 10 years on and off in China (related to my import export business) i decided to make Vietnam my base. It has some advantages, low wages so you can recruit workers, I was born here and speak the language ok, corruption -so you can pretty much get most things done if you got the cash, good food, central in a dynamic region, good economic prospects, etc....disadvantages are the humid tropical weather, the tropical diseases you might get that you won't get back home, the general half-arsed shit that you will only get in a third world country etc..But over all I have been very happy with the move. With the internet you can really operate out of anywhere...

Yeah,  this is one of my main issues, getting sick in general while I'm living there, but I'm pretty healthy, exercise daily and will probably be staying mostly between cities and beaches and few and far between so hopefully I will be OK. Getting older, as we all know, you can do everything to take care of yourself but things just slowly deteriorate, it sucks. I've been researching hospitals and medical centers there and looks like they're are pretty decent ones these days. Spending out of the pocket for general care is a steal compared to health insurance or medical cost here in the states, it's insane. Another reason to leave.

Anh peterpan75,

I'm currently living and working as a network systems administrator in Miami, FL, USA.  I will be turning 32 years old in August and I'm currently single.  Similar to your story, I do not have any kids or a significant other so moving back to Vietnam will be my sole decision. 

Reason why I want to move:   This is truly a billion dollar question but truthfully I want to discover my roots & heritage.  I moved to the States at the age of 8 and have been traveling back to visit 8-9 times.  Every time I visited Vietnam, I discovered a strong connection with the culture, people, food, lifestyle, etc...  My curiosity finally piqued and after planning carefully for 2 years, I am ready to make the leap in January 2015. 

I still plan on working in Vietnam (just like other native Vietnamese) and try to assimilate to their culture.  Additionally, I will be applying to various tech companies or teach English as an alternate source of income.  Teaching has always been a passion of mine, but due to the lack of pay for that type of career in the States, I decided to follow the IT industry.  With a MBA, Bachelor, English Minor degree, and a TESOL teaching certificate and teaching experiences at local community colleges, I am more confident to explore this career path in Vietnam.

I do have a few questions for you:

a)  What will you miss if you do move to Vietnam?  Are you willing to give those things up?
b)  Have you set aside a budget?  Is your budget reasonable?
c)  Have you checked out the job market in VN? 
d)  How long do you plan on staying in VN (long term or short term or don't know)?
e)  What are you trying to achieve in this journey? 
f)  What are your fears?  What are your hesitations? 

I look forward to your reply.

Tin Tin

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Anh peterpan75,

I'm currently living and working as a network systems administrator in Miami, FL, USA.  I will be turning 32 years old in August and I'm currently single.  Similar to your story, I do not have any kids or a significant other so moving back to Vietnam will be my sole decision. 

Reason why I want to move:   This is truly a billion dollar question but truthfully I want to discover my roots & heritage.  I moved to the States at the age of 8 and have been traveling back to visit 8-9 times.  Every time I visited Vietnam, I discovered a strong connection with the culture, people, food, lifestyle, etc...  My curiosity finally peeked and after planning carefully for 2 years, I am ready to make the leap in January 2015. 

I still plan on working in Vietnam (just like other native Vietnamese) and try to assimilate to their culture.  Additionally, I will be applying to various tech companies or teach English as an alternate source of income.  Teaching has always been a passion of mine, but due to the lack of pay for that type of career in the States, I decided to follow the IT industry.  With a MBA, Bachelor, English Minor degree, and a TESOL teaching certificate and teaching experiences at local community colleges, I am more confident to implore this career path in Vietnam.

a)  What will you miss if you do move to Vietnam?  Are you willing to give those things up?
d)  How long do you plan on staying in VN (long term or short term or don't know)?

Tin Tin

a) Being close to some friends and family are the obvious but I do have distant cousins that live there so will hopefully connect with them.
b) Yes, I have set aside a budget, as I stated in an earlier post, I was good with my money, grant it, it's not tons in the US but in Vietnam, I think I'll be able to breathe and live a bit more, though I am not an excessive person and don't have many vices.
c) Yes, been on some websites here and there. I'm a creative person that has created cultural places here in the US. A place like Vietnam yearns for creative, cool things, just as any country that is late to "cool" things. I think if fate is on my side, I meet the right people, things could happen, will see. In the meantime, I'll take 20 hours a week at $12 an hour in Vietnam because i can afford to.
d) No idea, nothing is ever certain my young friend. I'd like to think I could grow old simply and peacfully without harm there though  :top:
e) Escape from this mundane life that the US can be if you don't lots of cheese(that's slang for $). Grow old being a kid at heart for as long as I can.
f) Fears have to do with health, sickness and everything that comes a long with the inevitable signs of age. Loneliness. Possibility of falling ill in a place, without that support and reliability of somewhere that has a decent emergency structure in place(like the US), even though you will pay out of your arse if anything ever happens to you.

Does this answer your questions?

Sounds great! 

Tin Tin

peterpan75 wrote:
tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Anh peterpan75,

Reason why I want to move:   This is truly a billion dollar question but truthfully I want to discover my roots & heritage.  I moved to the States at the age of 8 and have been traveling back to visit 8-9 times.  Every time I visited Vietnam, I discovered a strong connection with the culture, people, food, lifestyle, etc...  My curiosity finally piqued and after planning carefully for 2 years, I am ready to make the leap in January 2015. 

I still plan on working in Vietnam (just like other native Vietnamese) and try to assimilate to their culture.  Additionally, I will be applying to various tech companies or teach English as an alternate source of income.  Teaching has always been a passion of mine, but due to the lack of pay for that type of career in the States, I decided to follow the IT industry.  With a MBA, Bachelor, English Minor degree, and a TESOL teaching certificate and teaching experiences at local community colleges, I am more confident to explore this career path in Vietnam.

Tin Tin

a) Being close to some friends and family are the obvious but I do have distant cousins that live there so will hopefully connect with them.
b) Yes, I have set aside a budget, as I stated in an earlier post, I was good with my money, grant it, it's not tons in the US but in Vietnam, I think I'll be able to breathe and live a bit more, though I am not an excessive person and don't have many vices.
c) Yes, been on some websites here and there. I'm a creative person that has created cultural places here in the US. A place like Vietnam yearns for creative, cool things, just as any country that is late to "cool" things. I think if fate is on my side, I meet the right people, things could happen, will see. In the meantime, I'll take 20 hours a week at $12 an hour in Vietnam because i can afford to.
d) No idea, nothing is ever certain my young friend. I'd like to think I could grow old simply and peacfully without harm there though  :top:
e) Escape from this mundane life that the US can be if you don't lots of cheese(that's slang for $). Grow old being a kid at heart for as long as I can.
f) Fears have to do with health, sickness and everything that comes a long with the inevitable signs of age. Loneliness. Possibility of falling ill in a place, without that support and reliability of somewhere that has a decent emergency structure in place(like the US), even though you will pay out of your arse if anything ever happens to you.

Does this answer your questions?

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

With a MBA, Bachelor, English Minor degree, and a TESOL teaching certificate and teaching experiences at local community colleges, I am more confident to implore this career path in Vietnam.

Frankly, I don't see how you could have the education you claim when your grasp of English is tenuous, at best.  "Implore" means "to beg" so I have no idea what you're trying to communicate by saying "I am more confident to implore this career path".  Perhaps you mean explore?  If so, and based on other grammatical flubs in your posts (your curiosity was "piqued", not "peeked")  maybe you shouldn't be so confident.

DanFromSF - Appreciate your feedback.  I typed this post without careful examination.  I am very confident despite your remarks.

Just a side note:  You wrote, "Frankly, I don't see how you could have the education you claim when your grasp of English is tenuous, at best."

It should be:  Frankly, I don't see how you could have the education you claimed when your grasp of English is tenuous, at best.

You should also review what you write as well because your English is mediocre.

Who in the hell is giving these grammar correction comments upvotes?! Jesus christ!

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

DanFromSF - Appreciate your feedback.  I typed this post without careful examination.  I am very confident despite your remarks.

Just a side note:  You wrote, "Frankly, I don't see how you could have the education you claim when your grasp of English is tenuous, at best."

It should be:  Frankly, I don't see how you could have the education you claimed when your grasp of English is tenuous, at best.

Nice try, but you're wrong.  I am speaking in present tense, because you are claiming this currently.  Therefore, "claim" is the correct verb to get my point across.  Further, if I wished to speak in past tense, it would have been "have claimed" but that was not my intention, and once again you show your lack of knowledge of English.

Back to the topic at hand. Tin Tin, what are doing about living their, paper wise? Do you have an extended visa or passport? If not, have you considered getting a 10 year passport? That is what I am considering now. I got scared off a bit from some cousins about committing to becoming a "citizen" to Vietnam but I believe I found out that getting a 10 Year passport and becoming a dual citizen are separate things. A 10 year passport seems right for me without much commitment and worry of consequence, as far their "cut-throat or lawless society" is concerned, as you called it. Right now, I have a 5 year visa extension which is good until June 2016 but this still requires extension runs every 90 days, I figure getting the 10 year passport would save me a lot of trouble and aggravation.

hi 75. born in 75?

nugyen tham wrote:

hi 75. born in 75?

Hi,

Yep. 75.

The last 2 months as a married couple we've spent $11 mil VND per month.

no rent
$6 mil VND on food
$2 mil VND to her mom
$1.5 mil  VND medical
$50k water
$400k electricity
$250k gym membership
$350k internet

the rest for gift and entertainment

I think in life you always got to keep your options open and always have a plan B. Whether that be having dual citizenship or 2 or more countries to operate out off or multiple business and income streams it is wise to diversify in the right way. I found that you always have to keep reinventing yourself especially in business as it is so competitive and new technology is always coming along.
Moving to Vietnam opened up a lot of new opportunities. But still life isn't really any easier here. You still need to be a good operator and keep your wits about you.

Peterpan visa extension runs are nothing to be afraid of if you do it once. You don't actually have to leave the country for a visa extension run but can go to the local immigration offfice.