What is the longest visa I can get to visit Nepal? I am UK citizen

Hi,

I am a UK citizen and I want to stay in Nepal for 6 months - maybe more...how do I get a visa to do this?

Can you do this?

I am not sure how long the visa durations are - does anyone know?

Thanks,

Steve

The longest time you can stay on a tourist visa is 5 months in a calendar year. That means if you come in August you can stay through May.

I've put together a unique project to bring older women from the West to Nepal to stay here through the winter and have a great time for $500 a month. It will include a nice private room, food, transportation and guided daily excursions. It's designed to help older women with small pensions to enjoy the winter instead of suffering like they do. If they want to stay longer I can arrange a legal way for them to stay. Unfortunately I can only take 6 women. Here's my blog post about it. http://frugaltravelsnepal.blogspot.com/ … -very.html

I love Nepal. It's a country so rich in culture with a kind and gentle populous. Although the Kathmandu Valley isn't tropical by any stretch, it doesn't snow and a room heater will cost less than $20 a month. The sun comes out everyday during the winter.

Longest duration for a tourist visa is 5 months per year (start with 100 day visa and get extensions before it expires), but you could stay for six consecutive months by beginning your visit in August (or later) so your visit will go into the following calendar year.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

easily you can extend your visa at immigration office till 6 month than you must leave visa is available at airport for one month extaendable to 6 but if you want to avoid queue better you get visa in advance

direct email me yours problem may be i can help you.

[email protected]

hi longest visa is business visa first 6 month and than one year always extendable without living the couintry but must legally show atleast 50000 us investment in Nepal ask me info if you want to get a visa i can help you just you need show 50000 us in a nepali bank account not to spend them necessarly I run a business here and i know what ai tlk about do not believe anyone who tells you you can get visa just bribing please that is not good  tourist visa maximum 5 month a year

dear
shanker first come Nepal den i will hep you.

In a year, you could get a visa up to 5 months. That's what they call 1 visa year. However, if you visit Nepal in September...you could have 4 months visa until December and yet again add 5 months more starting January till May. That is how others do it here. In total you get to stay 9 months legally on tourist visa.

People are commenting on the tourist visa mostly. Are you planning to live in Nepal as an expat on your own money from your country? Are you wanting to do business in Nepal, volunteer? I know of someone who has an NGO who I heard can provide you with a volunteer visa for a donation. That seems to me to be a good alternative to a bribed visa. It may seem a bit dodgy, but I don't think it would be a problem because a volunteer visa should be between the NGO and the volunteer. I'm thinking 'advisory position.' I post it here only as a possibility.

I don't know how well this would work out because I haven't had anyone ask about it. A friend just mentioned it and it sounded workable. But there are definitely some drawbacks to funky visas. For one thing, you have to be careful to have a clear understanding of what is expected of you because Nepali social workers have a reputation for being less than noble. 

There are some other options in the eBook, Nepal: A Tourists' Manual or you can check out my blog for some information on staying long term here. I know of a couple other 'creative,' but not illegal possibilities. These funny business visas can get you into trouble. One expat told me about his problem where the person took a lot of money for the business visa and didn't pay the taxes properly and then the next year it was a problem, so it's best to avoid such things. Another person gave their passport to a guy to fix the visa issue with a fake business visa and several months later when he got it back he found himself with an 'over-stay' issue of several months. Remember, it is only illegal for you, not the Nepali (technically illegal, but they are not likely to get into nearly as much trouble as you).

Every year thousands of tourists get deported from Nepal. Be careful and be a good tourist by following the laws.

Your comment about volunteer visas is very interesting to me, as I would like to stay in Nepal long term and settle there, but don't want to keep going in and out on the tourist visa. I'm also very keen to volunteer anyway.
I'm planning to be in Nepal from April so would love to meet with you and chat more ...
Thanks for you very informative post madagascarnow :-)

In keen to find out more about this volunteer visa, thank you for your latest post, very informative.

Hi G,N,
Interested in your post about all the visits and wanting to move there.
May I pick your brain a bit, I have not visited there yet.
What do you like about living there.
What don't you like?
Have you ever been ill while there, and how was you experience?
Is humidity in summer really that bad?
Curious before traveling.
Thanks in advance.
Zynglass
P.S. I live in the midwestern U.S.

Hi Zynglass,
Not sure if your post was addressed to me or not, but guessed GN might be me.
I love Nepal very much and have been visiting since 2011, about 8 times in all. Good things are: wonderful breath taking landscape - best views on planet earth !!!
Friendly, warm people and if you can get past the tourist / local barrier - you can make sincere and heart felt friendships that will last a life time.
Bad stuff- Roads and transport, power cuts and humid summers.
But don't let this put you off, the plus points far out weight the negatives.
Best places to stay- Pokhara and surrounding mountains.
Not so good places to stay- Kathmandu - fascinating city for short 3/4 day visit but too crowded and dirty for me, long term.
Hope that helps :-) 
Oh yes - I have not been seriously ill there, so can't comment about that - but for minor sickness like flu etc etc, easy access to doctors, full range of drugs available at cheap price.

Just want to agree with GagiinNepal. I lived in Florida for several years, so I don't find it quite as humid as Florida in Kathmandu. But I'm not actually in Kathmandu and it is pretty decent weather here with a bit of gentle breeze quite often. Prior to monsoon (summer months) I thought about getting some ceiling fans, but never got around to it because I never needed one.

Here in the Kathmandu Valley it's lovely, but I do not live in Kathmandu. It is smoggy and humid there. I live in Chagunarayan, near Bhaktapur on the south side of the valley and up a bit higher. Nepal has the world record for the most elevation differences. That means near India it is hot as any desert and solid ice on the mountains. This is about half way between the two at about 4,000 feet. It doesn't rain all day most days during monsoon. I kinda like it because when I'm out and riding on the back of a motorcycle and it starts to rain we stop and get under the over-hang of a store or the shelters for rain. Everyone huddles together and it feels good to me to be with all the smiling Nepali as we wait a few moments for the rain to pass. Or sometimes we make it to a little, local restaurant and have a 15 NRs. cup of tea and a sweet samosa.

In the winter time it never snows (once in a decade) and it seldom rains. So, even though it's cold we can go up to the roof to take some sun and it's nice. It warms up nicely almost everyday. A few days ago we had a bit of a hail storm, but that is a bit rare and quite welcome for us because electricity is a problem. When it rains we get a few extra hours of electricity, sometimes.

Friendly people, friendly government and even friendly police. It is a very lovely society for tourists. I've been housing tourists who want to give Nepal a try for long term stays. It isn't for everyone, but having a host upon arrival is important to many Westerners. The guest house here is a buffer to the actual society. We have fast internet and a professional cook, western toilets, etc. When I first got here I knew I wanted to stay so I bought furniture and rented an apartment. Big mistake because I had to drag my furniture around with me; it didn't work out with that landlord.

The biggest gripe most tourists have is that Nepali don't give you bad news. They just are not direct enough for us, but they are polite and not violent. They also use tourists for their money so sometimes your new friend will steal from you. Some will come just to check out what you have, but most Nepali are lovely, honest, hardworking people.

Thanks GN for your response. It is important to hear from travelers. What actually got you first interested in the area?