Give birth in Malta (EU parents)

Hi all, quick question to anyone who might be able to explain me few legal issues. So, my wife is due in about 2 weeks time and she already has the cesarean booked at Mater Dei hosp.
My question is, as we're both Portuguese, what are the legal requirements for when you're from an EU country and you have a baby in Malta? I would assume that my daughter will get a birth certificate from Mater Dei Hosp and we might need to get her e-Residence card sorted, is that correct?
Is there a specific timeframe required for all the birth paperwork to be done?

Thanks in advance ;)
Antonio

Hi, you have to register the birth quickly, within the set time, which is only a few days (a pain when you've had a section.) As for residency, you will have to get the baby a Portuguese passport first!

Thanks for the reply. I thought I could apply for her residency just with the birth certificate doc. But in that case, I wonder if the baby will be able to travel to Portugal just with the birth doc, do you know?

Thanks again,
Antonio

No I doubt it as it isn't a photo id? You would need to apply for the passport at your embassy. That's why I haven't applied for the residency for my children, because of the cost of passports (especially as we haven't left the island in years!)

Ufff...that's gonna be a bit of a pain then. Will have to figure out something as I don't want my daughter to be without a passport for long time. Thanks a lot for the clarification ;)

You can apply for Document of Identity (DOI) at the passport office for 1 time travel with air ticket shown at application, as the DOI is tied to the flight details for that one time travel back to your own country to collect your passport. You can collect it within few days with both parents present. Photos are needed and need to be credited(I'm not sure if that's the right word to use) by doctor, lawyer or pastor who knows you. Ask the office when you go get the form.

Thanks a lot for the heads up LengTang, it's good to know that! I will contact them when necessary to get more details.

Cheerio,
Antonio

I am EU and had a baby in Mater Dei 2 years ago. My experience was.....No birth certificate is issued at Mater Dei- they just give you a small piece of paper, that you must take with you to register the birth. Birth must be registered in the Evans building in Valletta, within 7 days. Both parents must be present (and take their passports). Certificates and copies must be paid for. I cant remember exactly how much but it wasn't expensive.
It is possible to park a car near the office (if you are lucky!) or you could get a taxi to take you to outside.
  I remember that it was hot in the building (I went in June) so take some water!

Here is a link with the address and opening hours.
https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/Contact.aspx

Thanks for sharing your experience Damsel! I reckon the procedure must be the same still, but my only concern, it's the timeframe they give. Due to my wife's health issues, not sure for how long she will be kept in the hosp after the baby is born but hopefully, less than 7 days...

mantonas wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience Damsel! I reckon the procedure must be the same still, but my only concern, it's the timeframe they give. Due to my wife's health issues, not sure for how long she will be kept in the hosp after the baby is born but hopefully, less than 7 days...

I had a section too (and over New Year) and if I remember rightly, I phoned them and explained, and they gave me extra time but I'm not sure if that was because I had the section or that they were closed which took me over the 7 days?? The number is on the form and the midwifes will be able to advise.

Thanks again for all your comments and advice. Will see how all goes, I'll think on all the options after the baby is born :)