Transport/rent/location help for new to be, expat

Hi,

I am moving to Hong Kong at the end of July this year, and I have to find a place to live in the first two weeks. I have many questions! (i have visited Hong Kong for a week two years ago, I also lived there as a child and left in 1989).

1. where to live: I have looked at places online for Aberdeen and also in central (and that area). I can get a bigger and newer place with nice views in Aberdeen and for a similar price in central (and the area) for a much smaller and less of a a view. My question is about transport links to work and also things to do in the vicinity. obviously i know that there is no MTR in Aberdeen (for the moment, because back in 2012 i remember seeing a large scale building site for an MTR at ocean park?!) are the buses and taxis in the area really that reliable to warrant getting a place in Aberdeen, and are there some things to do on the south side that will mean it can still be sociable?

2: bills: how are bills paid out there? quartlery? and what is a standard bill cost for either a month or a quart? i pay roughly £70 a month for gas and electric combined. with usual usage in the evening and weekends, and about £20 a month for internet and phone.

3: I have a cat, and im trying desperately to rehome her, but if i cant i have considered bringing her with me. Do many people have cats out there? any advice on this?

I think thats it for now.

cheers!

KB

Hi KB
Still no MTR in Aberdeen (one MTR station will open in 2015 on the East side of the city, but the line goes to Ap Lei Chau. The Wah Fu and Aberdeen stations will not open before years...). You will be dependent on public transportation. Most people I know who live in the area and work on the North side either have a car (which can be pretty expensive) or have to commute off peak hours which can be painful.
You can always have social life where ever you live, the question is more about where the people with whom you'd rather have a social life reside... If you're in your 30's and like nightlife, bars or even trendy restaurants, living on the South side might be quite boring and unpractical. If you're more into staying at home and hiking it's another story.
Considering how easy it is to find a flat here, I would strongly suggest that you spend your two weeks visiting the different districts and making yourself an opinion. More than often, my clients just walk in the street and at some point they take a breath, look at me and say "yep, I could live in this neighbourhood". Make sure that your temporary stay is extensible, just in case you need a few days more, but honestly that shouldn't be necessary.

Also, be careful with online flat descriptions... the way square footage is calculated here is rather unusual (that's a euphemism)

Bills are paid monthly. 100 GBP / 1300 HKD per month for utilities (incl.mobile phone) is a reasonable budget.

There are many cats but it will require some administrative work to bring yours with you. Some landlords refuse pets but nothing major.