Lenght of stay if both parents are Mauritian??

Hi everyone!

Hoping someone can help me with this question. I was born in the UK but both of my parents are Mauritian. I have a national id card. I was wondering what the maximum length of stay would be for me in that case if any?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Emilie,

With an ID card you can apply for a passport which cost me 700Rs, I did have to provide my birth certificate and one parents nationalization papers in 2012.

I think that the ID card does allows you some rights as a Mauritian national, however the system of Mauritius can be somewhat confusing with the codes of Napoleon alongside British law.........If i was you I would ask a police officer on the street for some advice and see what they say...sorry random I know but i have never been disappointed!

You might find some further info here at the MRU ID Card page http://www.mnic.mu/en/

How are you finding Mauritius so far, I will be coming to MRU on the 12th of June for four weeks would you like to meet up for cocktails or lunch shopping etc

All the best
Natasha

If you do have a Mauritian national ID Card, it means that you are considered to be a citizen of the country.
Depending on which passport you use to get into the country, the Immigration officer may give you only a tourist visa if you do not show your ID card , or should you enter the country on another country's passport and  you  don't hold a Mauritian passport.

After all, "An identity card is a document that allows the personal identification of a person. Upon reaching the age of 18 in Mauritius, all citizens must apply for such a card under the National Identity Act (1985) within six months."

Hi Natasha,
Thanks so much for getting back to me! (and apologies for my very late reply!) I have asked around and it does seem like it should be fine now that I have my identity card sorted.

Things are going well so far for me in Mauritius having a great time! :) Would be great to meet when you get here in june for all of the above that you mentioned :D

I will send you my mobile number, give me a call/text when you're available. Where abouts will you be staying?

Brilliant news!

Thanks for your help!!