From Texas to Peru

Hi all.  I'm considering moving my family from Texas to Peru for a time so we can have an adventure together and take a real stab at learning Spanish. 

I have a job that allows me to work anywhere in the world, but I need the biggest internet pipe possible into my house.  I've read that one can obtain fiber internet service in Lima.  Is that true?  Also, where would I look for a rental house close enough in to Lima to get that service, but far enough out to not have to pay a premium for location?  I'm looking for something with 4-5 bedrooms.

Hi aggieben,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

To broaden your chances of having some replies, a new discussion was created using your post on the Peru forum.

Have you already browsed through the various discussions on the forum?

They might surely be helpful.

Thank you,

Hasnaa

ab.........

you have not mentioned anything about your experiences so far about having visited South America, and about understanding life in developing nations and emerging economies......

I would say that before considering moving your family to a completely different planet you would consider making a visit to see and experience the way of life here in Peru.

As far as Internet / Claro I know and possible Movistar can move 8mb/sec,,,, I am sure that is fast enough......

and as far as life on the outskirts of Lima / well you better see it before you rent it.....

Conditions in many parts of Lima and throughout Peru may not be what you expect / especially after living in Texas US,,,,,,,,, remember !,  the US is a wholly developed country....

Except for pockets of development and urbanization much of Peru is pretty beat up.......

so,,, a suggestion would be to make a trip and travel a little before packing up your belongings......

pistachio