Questions related to jobs

I am looking to move to puerto rico within half a years time. I am not rich nor do I have a lot of money but I know people move all the time who aren't rich. I've been there and I absolutely love it and the people! I only speak English so is this going to be a problem as far as jobs are concerned? How much do utilities typically run?

04.tiffanyk wrote:

I am looking to move to puerto rico within half a years time. I am not rich nor do I have a lot of money but I know people move all the time who aren't rich. I've been there and I absolutely love it and the people! I only speak English so is this going to be a problem as far as jobs are concerned? How much do utilities typically run?

If you don't speak Spanish you'll have a very hard time finding a job unless you are very lucky or if you have special qualities that are in demand and where Spanish is not needed (and even then you'll have to be very lucky to find a job).
Lots of locals are leaving PR every day because of the bad job situation! Right now the unemployment is around 15% and the economy is in shambles..
If you don't have a financial buffer that will allow you to get a place to live and then will keep you going for at least half a year don't even think about it!
Utilities: a kWh costs something like 29 ct which is 2-3 times more than the average for the US so your electricity bill will be 2-3 times higher than over there. Water can be as cheap as $ 12 for a month but you could also have to pay $40 or more.

Puerto Rico can be a great place to live IF you have a good paying job. Make a good plan and make sure you have a plan B in case it doesn't go the way you hope.

Hi 04.tiffanyk,

I created a new topic with your post on the Puerto Rico forum.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

It sounds like you are a level headed person who tries to think things through. Therefore I hope you will take this in the spirit it is given. Your chances of finding work are between slim and nil. The locals who know everyone and speak the language cannot find work, you being a gringo with no spanish will be the last one considered for any job. Bottom line my friend, either come down here with twenty or thirty grand to pay for a six month stay and get used to the country or stay home. It is NOT easy here. People who have plenty of money fail here all the time. Almost everything costs more here and everything is harder. We stay because we love it, but it is not easy. I would never be here if I had to depend on a local job to support me.