How much sufficunt amount to survive in jakarta?

Hi all what can be decenr amount to survive in jakarta? Will 1500 usd is sufficent for family of 3. Me my husband and 2 year old daughter. What is average rent for apartments? Do I hsve to psy rent for 2-3 years in advanced?

Hello there. US$1500 should be enough as some western expats are also living on that budget with money to spare. A lot depends on how much you spend but if you do not go out partying and eating out a lot but cook at home then that will definitely help. As for rents in Jakarta, not too sure about that as I am in Bandung, but here in Bandung they expect tenants to pay one year or two years in advance and rents for normal houses are upwards of Rp30,000 per year. You'll get better information from those living in Jakarta though.

If the place won't accept a single year contract, give them a polite finger and don't bother.
One year contracts are easy to get.

As for $1,500 (about Rp17 million), if you can't live on it, you're wasting loads of money.
Locals with a better than average job will get up to 5 million; lower paid start at about Rp2 million.
We, a family of three, use about Rp6 million per month, excluding rent.
Rent on a 2 bed house is 27 million/year, in a secured estate.

thanks that's useful information to know.

cheers,
Selma

I think it very much depends in which part of Jakarta you intend to stay, also what other costs need to be covered.

Just thinking about health insurance, transportation, phone etc.....that can eat a big portion of the USD 1.500 (for the 3 pax).

Living in Jakarta is quite expensive in my point of view....