KAUST as a single female?

I'm considering joining KAUST in a mid-level staff position as a single female, in my late 20's.  My impression is that KAUST is great for families, but I'm not sure about being on my own there.  I'm very much a "life is what you make of it" type of person, so I expect I can find activities that are enjoyable (water sports, etc.) but I'm a bit nervous about feeling lonely.  Does anyone on this forum have experiences in KAUST that they'd be willing to share (whether you're single or not)?  What about making friends in Jeddah - is this a reasonable option on weekends, if I want to meet people outside of the campus?
Thanks very much in advance for any help or advice!

Hey,
Well about KAUST there is a lot of activities that you can do there & I'm sure you can make a lot of friends there and yes you can go out and hangout in Jeddah meeting new friends & having fun , you should check some website like
internations.org

BlueAndYellow wrote:

I'm considering joining KAUST in a mid-level staff position as a single female, in my late 20's.  My impression is that KAUST is great for families, but I'm not sure about being on my own there.  I'm very much a "life is what you make of it" type of person, so I expect I can find activities that are enjoyable (water sports, etc.) but I'm a bit nervous about feeling lonely.  Does anyone on this forum have experiences in KAUST that they'd be willing to share (whether you're single or not)?  What about making friends in Jeddah - is this a reasonable option on weekends, if I want to meet people outside of the campus?
Thanks very much in advance for any help or advice!

First of all i would like to welcome you to Expat.com.Secondly KAUST is very top notch university, i have been there many times ,since my father used to work there,well thats a different story.Family or not family ,it has a great campus with all amenities and believe me its like a small community in there ,where everyone interact and obviously dont miss the beach parties ,during my stay with a family friend it was really warm experience and since its a free zone you dont need to where abaya at all and by the way since you are in your late 20s you will meet lot of people in your age group over there whether studying or working ,when i was around the university they were still building it so by now it must full of students and staff .I guess the only thing you need to take is a open heart and a little bit of socializing .
       :cheers: Cheers

It will be boring to start with, but now there are a lot of activities happening at KAUST and you will find it a great place to be.

Once you join your colleagues will guide you with all the "insights"

gr8idea008 wrote:

helo i want to join you and m sure we will enjoy much. plz reply me at [email protected]

She wants to come here to work in a university, not to "enjoy much" with you, whatever that means.  :rolleyes:

Trapezius wrote:
gr8idea008 wrote:

helo i want to join you and m sure we will enjoy much. plz reply me at [email protected]

She wants to come here to work in a university, not to "enjoy much" with you, whatever that means.  :rolleyes:

I think he is pretty much a spammer :whistle:

gr8idea008 wrote:

I think it's a great idea, I will join too...3s a party ;)

LMAO....i want to enjoy too.....but i'd rather be in Bahrain !  ;)

Hi and thanks for your response!  This is helpful. I still have a couple of weeks to decide about the job but am leaning towards it.

I'm a single female living & working at KAUST and have been here now for over 3 and a half years so, I think you'll be able to deduce from that that, overall, I like it here. It can be lonely at first; that depends on how quickly you make friends, but there are plenty of opportunities to do so. Also, as you've already found out, there are plenty of activities here, especially if you're into water sports. I've lived abroad before but never in a mainly expat environment and had my doubts about that at first, but there are expats from many different countries here, which makes life more interesting. Of course, it's a university so people don't always stay for longer than 2 or 3 years, so, if you're planning long term your circle of friends will change periodically too.

Please feel free to PM me with any particular concerns you may have and I'll do my best to help.

hello what nationality are you? :)

Kindly some body tell me  KAUST how i should join it ,and it ll give me benifits.thankss

Hey salaaam
KAUST in jeddah how does it help me .i want to join it .

uuzma31x wrote:

Hey salaaam
Kindly some body tell me What is KAUST in jeddah .n how does it help me .i want to join it .

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kaust

hi , there i want you to be my friend

KAUST is King Abdullah University of Science & Technology.

Trapezius wrote:
uuzma31x wrote:

Hey salaaam
Kindly some body tell me What is KAUST in jeddah .n how does it help me .i want to join it .

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kaust

:one:thanks::top:

Yes. Weekend is yours... you can do whatever you want... inside or outside the campus.
Cheers!

Thanks

Facing difficulty to understand who is writing for whom?  New in this blog ll take time hehehe

uuzma31x wrote:

Facing difficulty to understand who is writing for whom?  New in this blog ll take time hehehe

not impressed  :|

I  m not here to impress you :P:joking:

Hi everybody,

Please note that some off topic posts have been removed from this discussion.
Can we now go back to the main topic of this discussion which is : KAUST as a single female? please? Let's see how we can help the member BlueAndYellow. ;)

Thank you all,

Priscilla

BlueAndYellow wrote:

Hi and thanks for your response!  This is helpful. I still have a couple of weeks to decide about the job but am leaning towards it.

try it.... never been there myself, because it is outside the city of Jeddah, and i don't know anyone...yet... but traveling to the city wouldn't be much of a problem, im sure it would be easy to arrange for transportation...

and as they said, its a free zone, where good minds from different countries flock together..hahaha, so to speak, in December, I attended a 2-day Brain Forum, and most of the attendees were from KAUST.

Yes we can manage transport but if they give us jobs . Some body tell me how we can job inside the place n what kind of documentation needed to .

uuzma31x wrote:

impressed  :D lol like a boss  :cool:;):lol:

I joined this festivel in the KAUST. As a henna artist . Wow amazing experince.  :D

DrHassanMalik wrote:
uuzma31x wrote:

uuzma31x wrote:

awww, Doc got burned  :lol::lol:

Djzubaid wrote:
DrHassanMalik wrote:
uuzma31x wrote:

uuzma31x wrote:

awww, Doc got burned  :lol::lol:

:dumbom:

:D:lol:

uuzma31x wrote:

I joined this festivel in the KAUST. As a henna artist . Wow amazing experince.  :D

I was there too. Too busy watching the world cup match on the other half of the tent    :D

Yes ma sh Allah too many people n very good envoirnment. I ll come next thursday again. In sha Allah

What r u doung in the kaust r u living there?

I am a new masters students who's going to enroll in August. I am here to spend some time with friends.
The environment is very positive. For me, this is the best option in Saudi Arabia.

HussainSK wrote:

If your going to KAUST they can give you a house, car, and other stuff, theres cinemas if your interested and you can go to the beach, shopping. My sister went there once for 1 year. If I were you I'd go to UAE, its not fun for a 20 year old girl hangout in Saudi Arabia it just doesnt feel right lol, the only good think here in Saudi is the salarys, so I was thinking that you finish 1 year of working and take a vacation back to your country with a 100,000$ in your bank account or go for UAE if your looking for fun and great food (lol).
Good luck in your life

That's pretty accurate. I'm sure many of the employees are in KAUST for the salary. KAUST environment is sustainable only for families. However, for singles, not really. No one actually openly talk about this side but as HussainSK mentioned, you are still in Saudi Arabia. That's my view on KAUST up to now.

I disagree, KAUST is viable option even for singles as I know many singles there who are not only having a great time at work but in their social life as well.

Anyone interested in purchase of AVON beauty products special offer !!!
Now you too can be member of AVON for registration message me

Hello Dear
I`m Dr. Mohamed
Egyptian PHD. Chemist
welcometoyouif you wanna be friends
Best Regards

Single male in the process of interviewing at KAUST and I'm wondering what your experience has been like so far including the process of moving over there.  I'm sure it's different for a female, but I want to be able to make a sound decision should I be offered the position.  Are you available to Skype or email?

Thanks,
Aaron

@ Aaron > Who are you talking to please?

Do note that nobody participated on this thread since last year.  :/

Thanks

Priscilla