Iphone or android or smart phone?

I am thinking of upgrading my phone before coming to Ghana. Is there any point of getting one of the above types of phone? Do any of the mobile providers have a system that will support such a phone?
Any advice appreciated.

best i would advice you to go for is a smartphone....preferably a symbian os smartphone and not a blackberry, windows mobile, android or iphone mac os.

Blackberry and iphone cant really be enjoyd in Ghana unless you got ur own wifi hotspot that connects you 24/7. Services on these phones are not available in ghana and there are not any hotspots in Ghana....the few you would find are locked.

And if you sure would really want to make use of your android or wm os based phone, the best thing to do is get your apps on your fon before you get to Ghana. HTC ain gt java and you sure would find it difficult using the phones browser as it is very poor and really takes up loadz of airtime when browsing

symbian based apps have java and can install anything. The Ghana telecommunications facilities work best on simple and popular os aand the best you can list is the symbian ....at least in Ghana so just get a symbiansamartphone.. If you ask me, I would advice you go in for a nokia n97 or any of the Eseries phones.

I moved from Netherlands to Accra Ghana.  I am using HTC touch pro 2.  Even though the battery duration is short (charge every 2 days).  It works just fine with its 3G capabilities.  Without having to purchase any extras. I can check my emails on the move.  Browse internet, even when i travel i use google map for the location in Ghana. 

Nance

Strongly reccomending for an android phone like Samsung Galaxy. Use it and tell me hows it.

I got an HTC phone before I came and it works here. Not ready to change yet but thanks for the answer.