Lady visa for a lady expecting a baby

A friend of mine has faced a issue with regard to her employment. She has got a job offer from a reputed company. In her medical examination for visa she has found out that she is pregnant for about few weeks. And now she is in a desperate situation to hear as from some reliable sources she got to know pregnant ladies are not permitted to get employment visa in oman. Any one of you aware about this kind of a situation? Highly appreciated.

In any case employment opportunities for women have been temporarily halted. So even if your friend was not carrying, her employment visa would not have got issued, at least for the near future.

There was a published new item in the local paper last week which said

“TEMPORARY RESTRICTION ON WORK VISAS FOR WOMEN, SAYS OMAN'S MINISTRY OF MANPOWER”.

You can read it here

http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman … power-33pj

Hello Sumitran,
Thank you for your prompt response. As per the paper article the restriction only valid for some professions. Therefore, may be there is a chance for her to get in to the job. However I just want to know whether due on pregnancy grounds can her visa application get rejected?

Hi krishini,

As far as my information goes, except female beauticians, all other employment opportunities for women have been put on hold.

Employers would not appoint a pregnant lady knowing full well that the employee cannot complete 2 years of continuous services.

It would affect the work in the organisation and given such stringent restrictions on hiring expatriate workforce, both male and female, any company would want to appoint only an expatriate who can serve them for as long as they want.

Is there any ministry of manpower restrictions if found out in her medical that she is pregnant or this is just based on the employers decisions?

Hi jay_el00123,

Once the labour clearance is granted, the Ministry of Manpower has no further role to play with the clearance granted ... or with anything else, until that clearance is in force.

So whether the joining employee is pregnant or not would be of no concern or consequence to the Ministry of Manpower.

But that bit of information would be of a lot of consequence to the employer for the reasons stated in the post above.

I myself was pregnant when i joined a private hospital.
And in private if your company doesn't have any issues she can join.
Why private companies create no to pregnant ladies is because 2 months paid leave they have to gv to the pregnant ladies during maternity leave by Labour law.which no private company will give.
They might agree to u to work provided that you gv them a letter that you wouldn't ask for paid leave.