Current Maltese bus drivers

Today, on three separate buses, I experienced the worst driving of any bus drivers since I started using the buses in Malta. Are they trying to prove something to the public? The buses cornered on two wheels, the brakes were repeatedly slammed on, they used their mobiles and indicated to one another through their small windows. The passengers were holding on for dear life and parcels were sliding around!! I will add that they were all previous "Arriva" buses - enough said?

Welcome to malta and they used to complain about the yellow ones biddy..the mentality needs to change not only buses and drivers!:-)

biddy wrote:

Today, on three separate buses, I experienced the worst driving of any bus drivers since I started using the buses in Malta. Are they trying to prove something to the public? The buses cornered on two wheels, the brakes were repeatedly slammed on, they used their mobiles and indicated to one another through their small windows. The passengers were holding on for dear life and parcels were sliding around!! I will add that they were all previous "Arriva" buses - enough said?

We have been involved in two accidents while using the buses with the most serious one being when the drive took the corner too wide and way too fast at the bus terminus in Mellieha and hit some brick bollards put around the Bellvue building. Over 40 passengers where injured and the driver did not know what to do. It was a young lad who called the police and ambulance for us.

Most drivers are good but I believe they know that when it all get's sorted by the 'consortium' that there will be a lot of redundancies so they don't care any more (that's my thoughts anyway).

Ken

Its the Maltese style, Arrive did instil some discipline on the drivers but now its run by TM the standard has reverted back to the old ways.
If the Maltese consortium gets the contract expect it to get a lot worse.

Terry

Last year a Maltese told us that the biggest mistake Arriva made was to employ Maltese drivers. I think he was right!!

tearnet wrote:

Its the Maltese style, Arrive did instil some discipline on the drivers but now its run by TM the standard has reverted back to the old ways.
If the Maltese consortium gets the contract expect it to get a lot worse.

Terry

Totally agree Terry, and even my 'Maltese' family are a little concerned about the TM methods. But hey! how do you fight 'brown envelope' politics.

Mike

I am so happy I don't depend on buses any longer...phewww!!! I reckon that if I had to chose one of the things that used to put me off the most here in Malta, I'd chosen the bus service (bus drivers). There wasn't hardly a day that I wouldn't get stress out when taking a bus previously and from what I just read, it seems it's not getting any better.  :huh:

my husband drives the buses and has done so for the past 12 months.  He is a professional driver and always ensures his passengers are driven safely to ensure safety at all times.  Whether he was employed by Arriva or Transport Malta as he is now his attitude is the same.  It is such as shame that drivers get slated and generic comments are made.  It would be rather nice to see some positive comments on forums and not negative all the time.

I have been a passenger on many routes with different drivers and if I think they are doing a good job then I compliment.

I think sometimes people feel the frustrations of the driver having to deal with the general public all day. I've experienced bad bus drivers the world over (including england) and I certainly don't think this is unique to Malta. The one big issue was that pre-arriva some bus drivers liked to skim a few extra pennies (literally) off the tourists and non-residents, but then arriva came in and there was legitimate overcharging (thankfully now stopped.)

In an ideal world all bus drivers would be friendly and helpful, but that could be applied to pretty much any service industry.

Added to bad driving is the poor condition of the old Arriva buses. Yesterday the bus had a loose floor panel over the engine - consequently noise and fumes. The driver of one bus had to rev the engine at every stop and fiddle with the knobs and levers on the right hand of the steering wheel before the bus would proceed. When was maintenance last done??? No wonder he was in a bad mood and shouted at the passengers. Is there a number one can phone to make TM aware of these problems?

When in Sliema  I witnessed a member of the public point out to  an inspector that the rear tyres on the bus that was being loaded were down to the canvas. The inspector spoke to the driver but allowed the bus to carry on its journey and didn't seem the slightest bothered.
As for reporting anything to TM, don't bother as all you get (if your lucky) is a generic email saying it will be looked into.
With no follow up correspondence .

Terry

From  yesterdays Times of Malta.

"Malta Public Transport urged customers to contact its Customer Care Centre on telephone 2122 2000, email: [email protected] with feedback, reports or requests for information".

Brilliant, Thanks, Terry

LHSM wrote:

my husband drives the buses and has done so for the past 12 months.  He is a professional driver and always ensures his passengers are driven safely to ensure safety at all times.  Whether he was employed by Arriva or Transport Malta as he is now his attitude is the same.  It is such as shame that drivers get slated and generic comments are made.  It would be rather nice to see some positive comments on forums and not negative all the time.

I have been a passenger on many routes with different drivers and if I think they are doing a good job then I compliment.

It is a shame your husband drives for these buses and you have to read these comments.I understand your frustration as my son used to drive in the UK for a bus company. However as my husband stated earlier we were in a very bad accident and we had friends with us visiting we were all injured not serious but well shaken and badly bruised,  never the less the driver never even spoke to us asked us if we were ok told us what was happenening. It was really scary at the time. I have to agree with above comments. There maybe good drivers. like your husband, as I have also experienced as well, but unfortunately more of the bad drivers which gives them a bad name.Just saying from experience.