I AM CONSIDERING PORTUGAL AS A NEW HOME

Hi all,

I have thought about Malta but too small and overcrowded, Italy but it's not what you know it's who you know, Greece beautiful country but even Greeks cant get jobs, Georgia - don't think I'll get to grips with that squiggly writing language, South of France - again no jobs. Then there is Portugal, I visited there in 2001 to Algarve and Lisbon, believe it or not Portugal are Britains oldest alies going back to the 13th century. If it was to be Algarve I'd settle for Tavira or Montegordo. Lisbon I've heard there are plenty of jobs there, especially with the new Lisbon airport. I've heard some parts of Lisbon are a muggers and druggies paradise especially around Barrio Norte. Is this true Lisbon is getting rough in most parts now? Sebutal just outside Lisbon on the sado estuary looks appealing. And yes Lisbon has a long established British Hospital there too.

Actually the Portuguese-English relations goes back as far as the foundation of Portugal, when English crusades helped the First Portuguese King in the siege of Lisbon in 1147. An English monk was the very first bishop of Lisbon - something quite interesting if we think about it.

Then for the next centuries there were commercial alliances, but the one you are referring too was only made in the second half of the XIV century - along with the treaty there was marriage, one of the most important in the Portuguese History, parents of Henry the Navigator, for instance.

About the New International Airport of Lisbon, forget about it. The project was put on hold in 2010 because of the crisis, and the current Government and general public opinion is to hold it for long-term. The current Airport has a new terminal and commercial area since last year, and with the new Metro station Portela will be Lisbon Airport for many years for sure.

No, Lisbon is not getting rough, and is not a paradise for drugs (it's Bairro Alto, not Bairro Norte). Lisbon is the capital of a country, and like any other capital, there are drugs obviously, but it's a quite safe city, don't worry about it.

Thought I got a spelling wrong somewhere.Thanks for putting my thoughts at ease Iin regards to Lisbon. Muito Obrigado.

No problem.

Hum... hope you don't mind, but i missed one, it's Setubal, not Sebutal.

Setubal is a different municipality, and the city is the capital of the historic district of the same name.

One thing i can tell you about Setubal (and also about its neighbour Sesimbra), is that they have the best fish near the Lisbon area, and probably the best of the country.  :)