Foreign woman in Saudi

Hello I would like to now what could be my life if I am working and living in Saudi on my own?

It depends on your preferences.

well i am working and living on my own here in ksa it isn't so easy yet not so hard if you found the right people to be around you..but i don't recommend anyone to come live here unless its a perfect job offer

If you search the forum you will find that questions has been answered in recent days. Go through this, a bit old though.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15988

1. Women must wear an obligatory "abaya" when in public.
2. Life in compound is a little convenient and comfortable. There are social gatherings and sporting facilities to invest your time in.
3. Women cannot drive however you can call a cab (sometimes private cars with drivers) who will take you to your destination in a reasonable amount of money. Taxis are no metered and these guys will ask 10 riyals more than what the normal fare for destination should be.
4. All restaurants/cafe here have separate sections for single males and ladies/families.
5. There is no prohibition for women to go around walking. However, this is more valid for bigger cities like Jeddah, Riyadh and Khobar/Dammam/Dhahran. You may not get a pleasant experience in other cities.

If you have anything specific to ask, please post.

It really depends on your job and where you are living. If you are in a compound your life will be a little easier on your day offs and you will have an easier time meeting other expats.

If AllieCat is still on the forum she might be able to give you more information....

don't expect freedom you have back home, nice malls, tax free money, hot weather.

Ist you have to find a job here then it's ok. Other wise it's very.......

Wonderful Guy wrote:

Ist you have to find a job or get entry Visa.

Wonderful!

Hi .. According to your enquiries Its depends on your major if you going to work in medicine field they will give you an accommodation  and transportation .. And you will live your life with happy moments if someone live and sad moments if someone dies ... :whistle:

Hi, what job do you do there and where are you located?

Thanks

Hello. I am coming in Aug and I will be fashion design lecturer. How about you? What are you doing in SA?

It's nice. But I never see these stuff here even in newspaper. Here U only may have dream of fashion, cinema .....etc.
In this field they completely depend on other Arab countries like UAE, Egypt and Lebanon.

Living here is really a challenge, it is strict and the weather is extreme in both sides. Lucky for you, you are a westerner, you wont feel descrimination as such...on the lighter side, you'll have a tax-free life here, unlike in some countries.

Oh, and btw, aug is the hottest and the most humid month here....just be prepared..

OMG......someone must die to feel sad. You are really limited edition.

Well, it depending on the personality...if your outgoing person you will not enjoy staying here because there are only few places to go , there are also limitation of mingling with opposite sex...life can be boring for you...but ksa can offer is cheap of standard of living, free tax salary and simpler life...

April_90 wrote:

OMG......someone must die to feel sad. You are really limited edition.

I think doctors they don't feel sad anymore :P

Private :

BOGTF  ( buy one get two free )

Just network alot, it's really not so bad when you have a good job and a lot of friends. At first it's so hard to get used to

You made my day.(limited edition)lol oh gosh

Don't worry everything will be okay. :top:

Just as anything. Life is what you make of it... What you put in is what you'll get out.  :)  be prepared for the worst. And make the most of the best. :)

tax free money , not so sure about that!

It depends on you

Your life would be the same as in the UK :)
Few things aren't available though, movie theater, driving, beach, etc...
Yet you can creat your own community and those who know Riyadh well will make it unforgettable experience ;)
Hope you enjoy it...

fashion design lecturer sounds very innovative in Saudi. I like that...tell us more of ur job and experience here, just to share

Dany saad wrote:

Your life would be the same as in the UK :)

Really?  Have you ever been to the UK?  Or to any other Western country?  If so, you saw life there to be the same as in Saudi?  Interesting...

Dany saad wrote:

Few things aren't available though, movie theater, driving, beach, etc...

So it won't be the same as UK?  :rolleyes:

Yes, it is quite innovative in Riyadh. But students are almoust the same everywhere. I got impression that my work is valued higher in SA. Because I am from UK, and it is appreciated I share my skills and knowledge. And everybody knows I won`t stay in SA forever....

Mudite,

So you finally landed in Riyadh, welcome to Saudi Arabia.

Students will initially like you, idolize you and eventually fall in love with you. This is not only because you are from UK, good teachers with skills, sincerity and sense of humor are highly respected from all corners of the world.

I wish you a wonderful life ahead of you. :one

Thank you. I think this is happenng at the moment...

Mudite wrote:

Yes, it is quite innovative in Riyadh. But students are almoust the same everywhere. I got impression that my work is valued higher in SA. Because I am from UK, and it is appreciated I share my skills and knowledge. And everybody knows I won`t stay in SA forever....

:one:)

Welcome in Saudi.

And if you make friends that are male, I'd suggest getting some "paperwork" made up just in case. You do NOT want to be caught with a member of the opposite sex unmarried by the Muttawa. You can pm me for details!