EVENT ~ A Taste Of Minas! ~ History, Nibbles, Caipirinhas!

A TASTE OF MINAS

http://www.minasinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1.png

Join Minas International for a unique and special evening learning about the history and mystery of Belo Horizonte.  We've joined up again with Claudio Lysardo Teixera who has been the host of our widely popular Architecture Walking Tour.  Claudio will again bring the magic of the city to us.  The presentation will be followed by a tasting of traditional Minas Gerais foods served up with Caipirinhas!

Day:  Wednesday, 30 April
Time:  18:00-18:30 sign-in ~ 19:00-19:45 presentation ~ 19:45 – 20:45 cocktail reception
Cost:  Members – Free*  |  non-Members – R$15.00

* Register NOW to become a member!!

!! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW !!

About the Talk

The city of dreams… Belo Horizonte was the first and the biggest urban project of the new-found republican government in the late XIX century.  Erected by the richness of coffee economy, it aimed to show the nation all the power and modernity brought by the republicans.  Belo Horizonte and its architecture were carefully designed by a very special and select committee with the intent of being more than just the capital of Minas Gerais.  The idea was to build the city to be the bastion of the new regime that wanted to vanish all the old regimes elements and consolidate their own identity.

Palaces, buildings, houses, gardens and streets… How were they designed and built to hide symbols and references of this huge political project?  To create a new space, a new city was their way to recreate the whole spirit of Brasil.  You can actually feel and see this by “talking” with the old bricks of this “big town.”  Let's get together along this adventure through Belo Horizonte's history and mysteries!

About the Presenter

Claudio H. Lysardo Texiera is a graduate of UFMG with a degree in history with an emphasis in the history of Belo Horizonte's Architecture.   He has worked as bilingual guide, historian and educator at the Pampulha Art Museum and the Minas & Metais Museum.  He also holds a graduate degree in Civil Aviation Management.  Claudio is a professor at the FUMEC University in the area of Aeronautical Sciences.

Geez Maxine, you sure know how to hurt a guy don't you? Putting on a gastronomic event like this when I haven't got a snowball's chance in Hell of springing myself loose to come and attend it!  :lol::lol::lol:

But seriously, I hope it's a mega-success and that all you guys and gals in BH have a wonderful time.

People... the cuisine of Minas Gerais is unrivaled so if you have the chance to take in this event I'd recommend highly that you do!!! The city is famous as one of Brazil's "planned cities" and it sports many buildings, mansions and palaces that are extremely interesting and have great historic and cultural significance.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Hi William,

One of these days we'll have an event so enticing you'll find come on over to Minas! 

I can tell you that this one, A Taste of Minas, is going to be great!  This speaker has given architectural walking tours for Minas International in the past and they have been tremendously fun.  He has a way of making the past come alive with really interesting stories.  One story I love is about the old and famous bar in the heart of the city.  It had large glass windows for peering in and peering out.  Men would sit in there all morning sipping 'coffee' in their demitasse cups waving to passerbys....  But... it was actually cachaca in the cups and not coffee!  Reputation was (is) everything in Minas you know!!

I know exactly what you mean about the incredible architecture in BH, having lived there for several years.

One thing that really got to me the very first day was in downtown BH was the striking similarity between City Hall in Belo Horizonte and in Vancouver, Canada where I had lived for 28 years before coming to Brazil. Both Art Deco buildings that really gave me a case of "Deja Vu". Also the incredibly funny "Upside down house" (actually 2, one upside down and the other on it's side) in Nova Pampulha.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pfK95p-QKX8/Ucdp3bj7hrI/AAAAAAAAMYE/JX4EP7uEEqs/s200/ARQBH.RAFAELLO.BERTTI.LUIZ.SIGNORELLI.PREFEITURA.BH-4+copy.JPG

http://www.straight.com/files/styles/article_main/public/files/images/wide/VancouverCityHall-SH_2010_1.jpg

Cheers

Cool stuff. Is there anything like this in São Paulo too?