Moving to Abu Dhabi

Hello all,

I'm negociating with an Emirati company in view to move to AD. The job seems to be really interesting but the company i saying they don't want to be bothered with the details and don't want to be involved in providing house, school allowance, etc. They said they are prepared to pay more but that I have to do my own calculation and give them a package. Actually they said it will be a local contract unlimited in time and that they will pay for medical insurance on top but that I need to do the rest.
As I don't want to end up living chasing money and regreting a move which I think can be a great experience I would like to get some advices.
- Is it normal for a employer to ask this.
- Having 3 kids and willing to enjoy it as much as possible, how much should I consider for housing. Is it possible to find a 4 bedrooms villa with pool and at what price.
- As I understood, usually housing and amenities are paid by the employer how much should I consider for electricity, water, gas, internet, etc. for such a house
- what are the suburbs in AD to look for and the ones to avoid
- any tips to find real estate agent
- Are they any relocation services company in AD ?
- How much should I consider to buy a car (4x4)
- what is the costs of life. I understood oil is cheap but what about food ?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I guess some of you have been in the same situation and asked themselves the same questions before.

Thanks in advance for our answers and tips

th

Hello,

First sorry for my english it has been a while since I had to use it.

We are moving to Abu Dhabi 15th of July.

The company to work for are providing , Car, appartment (in abu Dhabi itŽs nearly only the highest chief who get to live in houses), fly tickets (the company shall pay for that by law), health care for all family besides the payment.

Living costs are oka cheap down there and electricitet also.

But appartments and houses VERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! expensive.

In Denmark an appartment with to bedrooms cost about 1000 dollars pr. month in Abu Dhabi about 4000 dollars pr. month.

Which contry do you come from and what are you going to work as?. Maybe we can help because its a jungle.

If its in building we have some good recrutters names with contacts in UAE. Its through him my husbound got his new work.

Regards
Anne

Hi au2000
thank you for your post. While doing my homework on AD I did come to the same conclusion that housing seems to be a nightmare so I'm negotiating with the company to see how then can help / support on that aspect.
I've also realised than school is also a nightmare and getting the kids in there will be apparently pretty difficult.

Unfortunately I'm not in the building industry but in Marketing but I'll let you know how my discussion are going and maybe we'll catch up in AD.

th

Hi There

I am looking for some advice on recommenations of schools in abu dhabi.  I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and we are moving in August 2008.  I understand that we will be hard pressed to get entry for September in some of the popular ones.  Any thoughts? 

I also need some feedback on nice areas to live with kids - we are looking at AED250K pa. 

Appreciate your feedback.  Thank you.

My company offered me a position in Abu Dhabi and I said that I need some time to decide. If I move there I would like to have a nice appartment, so hopefully you can help me out because all I could find about property in Abu Dhabi is this but I've no idea if this is a good site or not. So if anyone can recommend some sites I should take a look on, I would be more than thankful. :)