Question for british expatriates

Hi everybody,

I often travel between France, England and Spain (I am flying to London in a couple of days)... and I was wondering if England would use the Euro one day?

Do you think it could be interesting for the UK? Would it cost too much? Wouldn't it facilitate commercial exchanges?

Please note that I don't want to create a polemic; I'd just like to know if we'll use the same currency one day :rolleyes:

I think the United Kingdom will have to switch to the euro not to remain "isolated", because all the new members must switch as soon as they are able to do so.

On the other hand, the british economical situation has never been so flourishing, which is definitly not the case on the Continent...

I think the UK will get the Euro... one day. Not today.

I used to think that one day we would.

Not anymore. I think the world is heading for a big global recession (brought on by Peak Oil), and once that starts to bite, it will be everyone out for himself. I think it will be bad enough to put the whole EU 'project' under pressure.

It's a shame really, because the basic idea of the EU is good, but unfortunally, human nature gets in the way.

I'm not sure the "EU project" will suffer. Look what's happening: new states fight to be officially considered as candidates (Turkey, Croatia, Macedonia...) or to get in (Romania, Bulgaria)...

In 2007, Estonia, Lithuania and Slovenia will switch to the euro. The others may switch by 2010.

Actually, Denmark and the UK are the only countries allowed to keep their currencies in the EU. Even Sweden has no choice on this "technically".

In my opinion, the Europeans would suffer much more from this Third Oil Crisis if the euro was not existing.

The USA are much more under the pressure (-> huge twin deficits).

Hi from London :D

Gavin, I hope you'll be wrong ;) but I am also almost sure a ot lof things are about to change, due to the oil problems :/