Please help! Thanks! :)

Hi everyone! I am given an opportunity to work in Kuala Lumpur. To help me decide, I would like to first know the average cost of living in KL and the average salary for management trainees. Please share your estimate.

Rent per month
Electric bill per month
Water bill per month
Internet bill per month
Food expenses per month

I am single and can be very thrifty at times since I really want to save. Thanks in advance! :)

Which part of KL will you be working?

Rental depends a lot on where you are staying. Range from RM350/- to RM550/- for a room. For flat, condo, house, there is wide range.

Food maybe RM500/-.

Electricity and water maybe RM100/- total, internet about RM100/- for unlimited access.

Transport is another cost you must consider. It's better to stay near where you work so that you don't have to pay much in petrol/bus/taxi/tolls and don't waste time in traffic jams.

Hi myvica and ThomasK! Thanks for replying. :D

BTW ThomasK, I believe I'll be assigned in Bukit Bintang area. I am not sure yet, though. Do you think there's affordable room for rent within the area for me not to bother much on transportation expenses? Do you have any idea how much one earns there on the average? Thanks! :D

Hi Choco,

If you don't mind, please PM me your management trainee's salary...and then i'll break down for you bout the expenses.

Or if you want to keep in P&C, here's the estimation.

Rental around 250 - 400 per room depends on the location you live.

Rent per month - 250 - 400 depends on the location you live in.

Electric bill per month - not more than 100 if you don't on the aircond the whole day.

Water bill per month - not more than 100
Internet bill per month - around 100 for 2mb broadband.
Food expenses per month - 300-500 (working food expenses) in KL area

You should be able to get a room in Bukit Bintang area. Be careful where you choose though as there are "red light" areas around there.

Bukit Bintang is in the heart of KL, so food, transport, shopping, etc won't be any problem. There are lots of traffic jams there though, but you can overcome that by using the rail transport.

If you're really thrifty, you can save quite a bit by having home-made sandwiches for breakfast and maggi mee for lunch and dinner :-)

Thomas

Been living here for 10 years.You need to inform your salary.
Then I would inform you to where to live.

You need to come here and need to see the KL.
Talking face to face having a cup of tee would be good idea to what to expect.

What god forsaken flea pit are you suggesting for 250 ringgit?  My Myanmar friends share at 550 per month. And I mean share. Two per room.  Cheapest nice small apartment in BB is 2,500 furnished 1 bed. If you're lucky. Fresh food from the market is cheap though. And don't worry about jams because you can walk everywhere. Good luck, you'll love living in KL.

MANXMONKEY wrote:

What god forsaken flea pit are you suggesting for 250 ringgit?  My Myanmar friends share at 550 per month. And I mean share. Two per room.  Cheapest nice small apartment in BB is 2,500 furnished 1 bed. If you're lucky. Fresh food from the market is cheap though. And don't worry about jams because you can walk everywhere. Good luck, you'll love living in KL.

RM250 Room per day better then your friend's place. RM250 per month is a partition room in the building. Normally for backpackers dude.