Looking for garden soil

Hello, I wonder if someone can answer this question:  where should I go to buy earth for plants (potting soil, garden soil)?  Would the big plant nurseries sell bags of earth?  What about the small   plant area in the square?  I want to start planting some things on my terrace and put a small tree in the courtyard, so I would need quite a lot of earth.  Also, where is a good place to find the large clay pots for plants?

Thank you for your suggestions--Jen

Hi Jen,

I can answer you questions but only if you are living in Marrakech (I assume you are because of your reference to the square). Professional gardeners will buy both soil and soil improvers for you (I use a peat based compost from Lithuania of all places, hardly environmentally friendly I know but the humus content of local soil and its nutrient values are very low. Avoid "terre rouge" a clay like substrate that bakes in the summer sun into a brick like consistency and does not drain well. Ask instead for "terre noire" which is somewhat better. This mixed with the commercial compost (and I often at horse manure - ca-ca de cheval in the local parlance, also available in recycled wheat flour sacks) aerates the mélange. Use broken pieces of pot to aid drainage and be aware that not all earthenware pots have drainage holes - these need to be drilled.

I can provide you with the contact number for my gardener whom I have used for many years to help you with this: just send me a message. The pepiniers (plant nurseries) out of town are the best source of plants and many sell pots (sometimes soil) too but there are more local sources.

I hope that this has helped a bit!

Thank you so much!  That is very helpful information, and I will send you a message to get your gardener's contact info!