Teaching in PP

I have traveled to Cambodia twice now, and absolutely fell in love with both the land and the people.  Since then I have returned to school with the ultimate goal of returning to PP to teach at the university level.  I also plan on doing some free tutoring for younger students who's financial situations wouldn't normally allow them to progress to a higher level of education.

I will be graduating with a masters in computer science within two years.

I have two questions.  The first is if there is anyone out there who could give me some idea of how difficult it might be to find a teaching job at one of the public universities in PP with an MS degree?  I know here in the US, without a doctorate, you're pretty much teaching at a jr. college.

My other question is if there is anything else I can be doing in the mean time to ensure my plan goes smoothly?  I have a friend who lives in PP, and he wasn't able to help me out with any of these questions, but he is quite willing to help me out if I need something done out there, so any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Hi,

Just a few quick answers, I'm by no means an expert on this, nor have I taught anything other than English at the university level in Cambodia (Pannasastra University). However, I have done research with different universities in Phnom Penh including two of the Royal universities (public), and noted that not all professors have a doctorate. However, I'm not sure if the same applies for a non-Cambodian applicant. Most professors I have met in Phnom Penh are Cambodians educated overseas. Try the Royal University of Phnom Penh. But keep in mind that they may be hesitant to hire a foreigner to teach, as many courses are conducted in Khmer and English, and they can't usually afford to pay expat rates. You could perhaps try for the universities that have a foreign partnership with another university? You should probably just write in and ask before you go there.

As for things to do before getting there, you could try learning some Khmer. That will make your life a lot easier. Other things such as bank accounts, accommodation, etc is better done when there. Perhaps have your friend scout out apartment options for renting the week before you go. Otherwise Phnom Penh is a very easy place to settle into.

Good luck :)

I am teaching here now at primary level 3 hrs a day and still having an adventure and affording to live. I came with 25 years experience, a BA and BED and have had no difficulty but pay is low. Panasastra, ISPP, Univ of Technologhy Foriegn Languages Institute Google them and contact them re recruitment or look up a site called bong tom heaps of work on there. You''ll love its the adventure and learning curve of a lifetime.
good luck
Karen McArthur

Zaman university are hiring at the moment as well as many others so get onto bong Thom and see whats there Ive had 5 interviews in the last 2 weeks
good luck
karen

Hello.
Does any of you have experience with Zaman University?

Thanks.

hmartires wrote:

Hello.
Does any of you have experience with Zaman University?

Thanks.

This thred is 4 years old so do not expect a reply. I suggest you start a new post.