Which and where can I get a reliable used scooter?

I know many have asked this question in previous forum but some answers are outdated. I have been learning to drive ( which is my greatest achievement here with the crazy traffic) and i am now ready to get a scooter. Is it better to get a new one or look for a used one from expat who is going to leave? I have tried contacting the classifieds but in vain.
Any advice about which model?

1. Ba Tháng Hai - Lê Đại Hành  - Lãnh Binh Thăng, Q11
2. Phạm Thế Hiển - Dạ Nam, Q.8

If i am going to stay here a couple of years ...should i get a new scooter instead? Any advice please?

Of course new is better if you stay long term  :D

Richard Loo wrote:

If i am going to stay here a couple of years ...should i get a new scooter instead? Any advice please?

Buy new if you can afford it.  Scooters here are not that expensive relative to other countries and, in my experience, having a new scooter is a lot more enjoyable than possibly inheriting someone else's problems...

Richard Loo wrote:

The advice I always give is to rent a model or several models first to try and find the one that suits you.  Then buy the model you want new if you don't want any problems and have the cash. 

If you want to buy used, you need to be very friendly terms with a local mechanic.  Some mechanics will sell used motorbikes on the side.  Let him know what model you want and let him know you'll buy it from him, accepting any premium/profit margins IF he guarantees the model for up to a year AND will fix any damages or replace parts for free.  Whip out your smartphone and record the agreement to be played back when he forgets.

Thanks guys for your advices. Will keep in mind

Muaban.net is a good place to find bikes that you are looking for. It is in Viet but they have pictures, price and phone numbers.

Is it true that expat are not allow to own a scooter or vehicle? Meaning we cannot put our name on the owner registration card?

Of course you can, if you have a TRC & WP

Richard Loo wrote:

Is it true that expat are not allow to own a scooter or vehicle? Meaning we cannot put our name on the owner registration card?

charmavietnam wrote:

That's not a very helpful answer for a newbie and it's likely to cause more confusion than clarity.

charmavietnam wrote:

Richard Loo wrote:

Indubitably

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gmEszhXRNY0/T3DQK596BMI/AAAAAAAAAD4/6e9vw8EuYME/s1600/Heckle+and+Jeckle.jpg

Then why don't you help?

DanFromSF wrote:

That's not a very helpful answer for a newbie and it's likely to cause more confusion than clarity.

If you need more clarification, check here for old threads discussed same topics.

Richard Loo wrote:

charmavietnam wrote:

Then why don't you help?

Because I have no first-hand experience and I don't believe in being an Internet-expert.  Since you started your answer with "of course you can", it should be simple for you to explain the requirements and process.

These topics already replied many times. If you need details first check previous threads in the same section.

DanFromSF wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

Then why don't you help?

Because I have no first-hand experience and I don't believe in being an Internet-expert.  Since you started your answer with "of course you can", it should be simple for you to explain the requirements and process.

charmavietnam wrote:

These topics already replied many times. If you need details first check previous threads in the same section.

I don't need details, the OP does.  I'm simply pointing out being snarky and posting acronyms isn't particularly helpful.

Are you appointed by the op?  :)
Those acronyms are simple for expats! If Op need something more, he can ask for help.

DanFromSF wrote:

I don't need details, the OP does.  I'm simply pointing out being snarky and posting acronyms isn't particularly helpful.

charmavietnam wrote:

Are you appointed by the op?  :)

Not in the least.

BTW, the link you posted above doesn't really answer the question either.  Since the answer is obvious to you, why don't you answer it once and for all?  The mods can make a sticky.

If you need some help just ask in the forum. I am not a staff to answer all questions  :)

DanFromSF wrote:

Not in the least. BTW, the link you posted above doesn't really answer the question either.  Since the answer is obvious to you, why don't you answer it once and for all?  The mods can make a sticky.

charmavietnam wrote:

If you need some help just ask in the forum. I am not a staff to answer all questions  :)

Once again, I don't need help, the OP does.  I'm not sufficiently knowledgable to answer his question with any authority, but you injected "of course you can" which makes us think you might know something about it.  Since you haven't delivered, perhaps you're following Mark Twain's advice:

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

Seems like you are following Mark Twain very long time  :)

DanFromSF wrote:

Once again, I don't need help, the OP does.  I'm not sufficiently knowledgable to answer his question with any authority, but you injected "of course you can" which makes us think you might know something about it.  Since you haven't delivered, perhaps you're following Mark Twain's advice:
“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt”

charmavietnam wrote:

Seems like you are following Mark Twain very long time  :)

I'd suggest you would be wise to do the same.

If I need some help, I know how to be polite and ask. No need your guidance.
It's up to me what to do or not to do. 

DanFromSF wrote:

I'd suggest you would be wise to do the same.

charmavietnam wrote:

If I need some help, I know how to be polite and ask. No need your guidance.
It's up to me what to do or not to do.

I said "I would suggest", which is different than actually suggesting it.  Sorry you misunderstood.

Still won't answer the OP's question, huh?

Hi everybody,

Can we please focus on the main topic now?
The title is  : Which and where can I get a reliable used scooter?

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers: