Thinking of moving to Bahrain

Hi All,

I am originally from India and have lived in England for more than 7 years and is currently holding a British Passport. My employer in the UK has offered me a position in Bahrain and therefore, considering a relocation along with my young family(3 year old son).

Having lived in England for sometime and previously worked in other countries, such as, India, Mongolia and Maldives, I have always been treated fairly and with respect. I have heard some horror stories about how Indians are treated in that part of the world. However, my colleagues(White Westerner) have praised Bahrain and the feedback received so far has been very good.

Due to my ethnic background, I am slightly concerned about how we will be treated there. I don't want to expose my family to a vulnerable environment where a certain ethnic group is treated differently than others.  This is one of the important consideration of my relocation and would appreciate any comment.

Also, please can you suggest the current situation in Bahrain in terms of security. Is it safe to move with a young family.

Thank you in anticipation of your response.

I can't say Indians or other ethnic groups are treated equally as white westerners here.. However, it is nothing like a "horror story". There are thousands and thousands of people from an Indian origin here in Bahrain, in all levels of seniority and it is perfectly safe for you and your family to be here. Majority of Bahrain is also safe to live in, but there are certain areas you should avoid, not because of your origin but because if there is a protest in Bahrain, they are localised in certain areas. It is just to keep you and your family safe.

hey reading

I am an Indian and living in Bahrain for the past one month..i am working with one of the biggest electronics retailer at a  managerial position...i get the deserved respect from all the groups of people...though this can be true for labour class..and as correctly said by brightonguy avoid certain areas and u will enjoy Bahrain!!

Thanks Syed11 and brightonguy for your reply. I gathered that Bahrain is much better in this regard compared to other Gulf Countries.

I have a question for brightonguy regarding driving in Bahrain. I have a UK driving license, which can presumably be converted to Bahraini driving license. I understand that before leaving UK, I need to get an International permit, which can be applied through Post Office.

Although I have a driving license, I don't drive (last time I have driven a car was in 2010) and mostly rely on Public Transport which is quite good in the UK(as you know). I was planning to take some driving lessons in Bahrain to bring my driving up to speed. Is it possible to take lessons there or should I be prepared before leaving the country. The only drawback is driving lessons are quite expensive in the UK. Any suggestion in this regard will be much appreciated.

You should convert your license to an international one, although if you forget doing it, it's usually not a big problem. But you should do it just in case.

You will not be able to get a driving license here in Bahrain unless you apply for a brand new Bahraini license. I wouldn't go through that to be honest because you will have to wait upwards of 6 months before your lessons begin. I would rent a car (all cars are automatic here, so it's easier to drive) and take your car to one of many empty plots and drive it there. You can ask your colleagues to help you out or let me know when you arrive and I can help you out.

Dont worry about converting it to an International one - you can use your UK licence no problem.  You dont need to convert it to a Bahraini one - just obtain one (in addition to your UK one) once you have your residency (although I know people who have never bothered). 

As Brightonguy says waiting for driving lessons here takes for ever and to be honest you would never believe anyone has had a lesson with the way they drive.  Even those of us who have driven for years feel like newbie drivers at first. Rent a car when you get here, grit your teeth and just go for it - best way!!

Lol. Yeah driving there is umm, interesting  :lol:
My wife got her license a few months ago. The lessons were a costly waste of time. 5 lessons 1200 dollars and very little drive time... Maybe 5 or 6 hours. I wouldn't waste the time or money. As Scottrace said, rent a car and get acclimated to the way they drive. You'll be fine! Good luck!

5 lessons for 1,200$!! Sorry mate but it sounds like you've got ripped off.

If you don't have a driving license in Bahrain, getting the lessons from an authorised trainer is mandatory. You cannot get a license without them singing the book they give you upon application for a driving license.

Yep.... She got ripped off! It was an authorized instructor and she did get her license. But she was clueless about driving when I got back. He gave her the stuff she needed to pass the test. That was all. The cost was 400 BD.... Lol or so she told me.... I did notice a new Versachi bag.... Hmmmm  :D

Oh well, at least she got the license (and a nice bag ;)). Let's look at the good side...