Dubai v Bahrain

For those of you that have had experience of both, what do you think is the difference between them.
The good and the bad........ it will be an interesting post I hope.

I have never lived in Dubai but have friends here in Bahrain who were there first and they much prefer Bahrain (they do all have kids).  They say that although there is less to do, Bahrain is more friendly, it is easier to settle, less "elitist" and has more soul.

I also have friends who have been asked to make the move from Bahrain to Dubai and are very reluctant to do so.

I guess it depends on the kind of person you are and what you want from life :)

My views of Bahrain vs Dubai are very similar to what scottrace has written above.

Dubai - big city, bigger population, traffic, crowd but more opportunities, better business, more entertainment options, better flight connections.

Bahrain - opposite of Dubai.

Bahrain is a smaller, calmer version of Dubai - and I personally prefer living in Bahrain.

I would prefer to stay in Bahrain.
Bahrain is a quite and calm place to live. Simple easy living and accessible to everything.
I have feedback from some of my friends stayin in Dubai, how the way they live there.
1. The accommodations are pretty expensive than Bahrain, people in the flat are crowded because of the high cost of the rental.
2. The traffics are tremendous, some of them are living far from their working place for an 8am start of work they have to leave their accommodation at 6am. Leaving their offices at 6pm and reaching home at 8pm.
Cost of living is expensive.
But Dubai can offer you a lot of job opportunities than Bahrain.
You have to choose between great opportunities and simple life living.

Hope this could help you!

Thanks everyone, great comments and pretty much how I view it.  We are leaving Dubai after a number of years and coming to Bahrain.  I am really looking forward to it.
We have never lived there but we visited many times when we were in Saudi so it is good to get the views of people that live there.

I love visiting Dubai and Bahrain is very close to Dubai for a weekend break. But to live there, I am not sure. I don't think whether I would say no to Dubai or not, but having lived in Bahrain for nearly 2 years, I have to say I am still loving the place. Bahrainis are so welcoming and people are respectful to each other overall. Yes there is probably 10% of the things to do in Dubai are in Bahrain, but it makes them so special as you get to enjoy them more.

Though i have been to Dubai for about a month on visit visa...but m loving Bahrain though i am only a month old here..great people great place!!

I realize it's an old post.  Just came across it.  I think I have a unique perspective; having lived in Dubai for 4 years and then moving to Bahrain 6 months ago.

Pros
1) Much much cheaper than Dubai - I am still surprised by this.  For my house in RV; I pay 1300 BD per month inclusive. Similar in Dubai would cost me 2300-2500 BD (I used to live in Meadows which is comparable to RV). RVIS is supposed to be one of the most expensive schools in Bahrain i.e. around 6500 BD per year for Pre-KG which was standard cost for a similar quality Dubai school. Hospital visits here on cash cost 15-25 for consultation which is half of Dubai etc.  EXCEPT official taxis; these are absolutely horrible, much more expensive, not easily available and less reliable than Dubai cabs
2) More relaxed and you don't feel rushed all the time. Time somehow seems to pass slower and you find time to do more things - strange but seems that way
3) People are nicer and more social
4) More culture and feels authentic
5) Better family life

Cons
1) Worse driving habits, roads and traffic - this is my view but the areas I frequented and lived in Dubai, were painless to get to. From Riffa today, if I go to Manama, any route is a pain
2) Less structure, rules and process in pretty much everything. Things just move painfully and requires Wasta at times.  In Dubai, as an average joe, I could walk into a Government office with the right documents and the process would be smooth with rules applied
3) Connectivity to the rest of the world not as good
4) Entertainment options are limited and the day to day is not as exciting as in Dubai; in Dubai you feel alive. The pace of development is unbelievable; things change in front of you and something is always happening
5) Not as safe as Dubai; again my view and not related to the unrest but in Dubai you don't hear a lot of stories about armed robberies, car burnings and attempted petrol station torchings
6) Availability of goods & services vs. Dubai in terms of variety and options (especially online)
7) Limited career opportunities.  At senior levels, you have to leave Bahrain to progress

If I reflect on this; if I was a single guy making good money, I would not want to live in Bahrain.  From a family perspective, I would prefer Bahrain.

I have lived in Dubai and Bahrain. I prefer Bahrain

XTang wrote:

I realize it's an old post.  Just came across it.  I think I have a unique perspective; having lived in Dubai for 4 years and then moving to Bahrain 6 months ago.

Pros
1) Much much cheaper than Dubai - I am still surprised by this.  For my house in RV; I pay 1300 BD per month inclusive. Similar in Dubai would cost me 2300-2500 BD (I used to live in Meadows which is comparable to RV). RVIS is supposed to be one of the most expensive schools in Bahrain i.e. around 6500 BD per year for Pre-KG which was standard cost for a similar quality Dubai school. Hospital visits here on cash cost 15-25 for consultation which is half of Dubai etc.  EXCEPT official taxis; these are absolutely horrible, much more expensive, not easily available and less reliable than Dubai cabs
2) More relaxed and you don't feel rushed all the time. Time somehow seems to pass slower and you find time to do more things - strange but seems that way
3) People are nicer and more social
4) More culture and feels authentic
5) Better family life

Cons
1) Worse driving habits, roads and traffic - this is my view but the areas I frequented and lived in Dubai, were painless to get to. From Riffa today, if I go to Manama, any route is a pain
2) Less structure, rules and process in pretty much everything. Things just move painfully and requires Wasta at times.  In Dubai, as an average joe, I could walk into a Government office with the right documents and the process would be smooth with rules applied
3) Connectivity to the rest of the world not as good
4) Entertainment options are limited and the day to day is not as exciting as in Dubai; in Dubai you feel alive. The pace of development is unbelievable; things change in front of you and something is always happening
5) Not as safe as Dubai; again my view and not related to the unrest but in Dubai you don't hear a lot of stories about armed robberies, car burnings and attempted petrol station torchings
6) Availability of goods & services vs. Dubai in terms of variety and options (especially online)
7) Limited career opportunities.  At senior levels, you have to leave Bahrain to progress

If I reflect on this; if I was a single guy making good money, I would not want to live in Bahrain.  From a family perspective, I would prefer Bahrain.

Fantastic post.

Dubai is like living in London
Bahrain is like living in the countryside (without the greenery)

Thank you.