Tax rates?

Sorry to make another thread but I can't seem to get the answer on the others and its driving me mad!!!

If my husband earns 950 euros per month, and we are married with a child, are we on the parent tax or married tax?

Also would it be 15% tax on only 950 euro per month if we was to be taxed?

Thankyou xx

Hi! As far as I know the parent tax is for single parents so you should be on the married tax rate.

Thankyou :-) I had a feeling it may have been that! X

stef88 wrote:

S?

Also would it be 15% tax on only 950 euro per month if we was to be taxed?

Thankyou xx

15% is your marginal tax rate not your average tax rate. Also social security contributions of 10% to pay.

So according to the chart, on married rates as he only earns 11,400 he pays no tax (so it says?) and 10% NI which is 95 euro so he would bring home a bottom line if 855 euro, think that's right?
Obviously I need to work too, we have to pay our credit card bill in the U.K also.
His job starts in 5 weeks, im panicking now :-(

stef88 wrote:

So according to the chart, on married rates as he only earns 11,400 he pays no tax (so it says?) and 10% NI which is 95 euro so he would bring home a bottom line if 855 euro, think that's right?

sounds right :-)

you would be able to claim child benefit too

and as far as i know - if you are reg in UK for  job seekers allowance and then decide to move to malta to seek work you can still AFAIK apply for the continuation of it for three months  - as lonjg as you start the process in UK and thenh within 7 days if arrival here register at the job centre here

Thankyou both :-) neither of us claim jsa but im sure I read somewhere you can carry on your tax credits for 6 weeks then you need to tell them if you are coming back or not.

That's great about child benefit, i presume that will probably take a while to set up, i also got told of some kind of living allowance in your wage every 3 months, not sure if we qualify for that!

Very daunting going from good U.K paid jobs to Malta wages, just want to make sure I've got the calculations correct and don't go over kicking myself! Also need to check if my sons medication for asthma and hayfever is free or how much its going to set me back per month!

Use these calculators, they are great.

Tax- http://ird.gov.mt/services/taxcalc.aspx
NI- http://ird.gov.mt/services/ssccalculator.aspx

Thanks, I used that last night, not sure weather im just being thick or my head is that battered with figures at the moment i can't make full sence of it! Will try again though lol.

If you select you are married you put in the annual salary for both you and hubby, it will then show you which is more tax efficient to do married or single returns. Then on the NI you either put in the employed amount and then any other income to show the amount due. Feel free to PM me the actual amounts and quite happy to help with the figures etc.

Thankyou :-) x