Got any advice of towns/cities/neighbourhoods

Hi Ian,

Im thinking of moving to Melbourne or Sydney but Im wanting to live in a neighbourhood that is more alternative than the mainstream. Im into self sustainability, living an eco-friendly lifestyle, eating organically as well as dance, art, spirituality. Have you (or anyone else for that matter) got any advice of towns/cities/neighbourhoods that have got a big community of like-minded people in their 20-35s?

HIi Natata,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Australia forum for a better visibility ;)

You would be better advised to live in one of the lovely regional areas of NSW or Victoria.  I don't live in Victoria so I can only advise you on NSW. 

I am not sure how "alternative" you are but you will be spoilt for choice in NSW.  There is a famous "Hippy" town in northern NSW which is right near the most easterly point of glamorous Byron Bay ... this town is called NIMBIN.  It is a town literally run by hippies and completely self-sufficient ... really worth considering if you are into everything that is eco friendly.  Here is a link you can copy and paste for further information (you can click on to Nimbin and also research the other really lovely little towns in the area).  Most of the towns around Byron Bay are reasonable but Byron Bay itself is very prestigious and extremely expensive:

http://www.byron-bay.com/region/nimbin.html

In NSW, the beautiful, alternative lifestyles of the Shoalhaven area (on the south coast of NSW .. about a 2 hour drive south of Sydney) is stunning.  My recommendation is the "arty" green belt town of Berri which is set in a glorious mountainside location only a few minutes drive from the gorgeous, white sanded beaches of the stunning south coastal regions (south from Kiama).  Further south, you have the larger provincial towns of Nowra and the beautiful, stunning beachside towns of Huskisson and Vincentia (located on the crystal clear waters of Jervis Bay). Only problem with the Shoalhaven, is that you may find it a bit difficult to attain a job. Here is a link that you can paste into your browser that will provide you with photos and important information about this truly beautiful area:

http://www.shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au/Discov … ation.aspx

If you want to live closer to Sydney, you will absolutely LOVE the quirky, eco town of KATOOMBA which is located in the heartland of the Blue Mountains which is one of the most spectacular places on earth.  It is like the Grand Canyon with trees. Katoomba has a really off-centre, alternative lifestyle and is a town surrounded by other gorgeous little towns, for example: Leura, and Wentworth Falls. One of the main attractions of these towns are the glorious walks down through the canyons and magnificent bushlands of the World Heritage listed Blue Mountains.  Sydney is easily reached by metropolitan train (a one hour trip from Katoomba) or a 2 hour car drive along the M4 (which can get congested at times).  You are close to big satellite cities of Sydney such as Penrith, Parramatta where you can attain employment.

http://www.bluemts.com.au/info/towns/katoomba/