Self employed as a naturopath

Hei, everybody!

I am trying to move to Norway, preferribly the region of Trondheim and set up a little place for massages.
There are several questions I have: 1) Are people in Norway used to therpeutical massages - and the foreigners aswell? By internet I have found a few hotels that offer massages, but on the whole I feel there is still much of publicity to do.
2) I am learning Norwegian of course, but how well can I get on without speaking the language fluently? Are Norwegians openminded towards foreigners? -I was at Bergen and there I found, in the everyday life, people were very friendly - but how is it, living there?
3) I am Austrian, having my diplomas from Austria and Spain, where I live at the moment. What formalities are  necessary to obtain the allowance to work on my own?
Perhaps some of you could help me along by their experiences. -Thanks a lot beforehand! -Carmen

Hello,

I can't answer all of your questions but perhaps I can give some useful information. In Oslo at least, there are many places offering massages. I think usually they offer some form of Thai massage. I suppose that means there is a market for it. If you are going to be living outside of an urban area, I'm not sure how people would respond. If you are based in Trondheim, I would assume you would have a market.

In my experience, the Norwegian attitude to foreigners depends on what type of foreigner. In this respect I suppose they are similar to other countries. I don't think you will have any problems being an Austrian in Norway. I imagine you would be very welcome.

Learning Norwegian is very important. Although almost everyone speaks English, many prefer not to. You will even find quite a few Norwegians who speak German, particularly among the older population. If you can speak at least some Norwegian, it will take you a long way. I will warn you that getting used to the dialects can take some time. The Trondheim dialect can cause problems for even Norwegians.

I don't know anything about qualification and registration for this type of work. Norway can be very bureaucratic, but other people manage so I suppose it can't be so hard.

Good luck,

David

Dear David!

Thanks a lot for your quick reply! I do appreciate your help. Here in Mallorca there are people from all over the world living in good harmony, so this is something I am also looking for.  when I am on my trip to Trondheim , surroundings and Oslo, i will think of you and returning to spain I will contact you as a feed back!
Thanks anormously for your advise!
Best regards,
Carmen