Temporary residency and self employment

Hi there, Does anyone have there temporary residency under the self employed skilled worker category? I have hit a road block in this process. I was told I need 2 permits to be self employed. I can get the municipal permit with my passport, but not the health permit (requires a residency card). So, how do I become self employed (without a residency card) to apply for this residency category. It seems like a catch 22. Anyone?

Gracias amigos.

If you are applying under the Residency for Self Employed option, it is not required to have the two permits you are talking about. If you are applying under the Special Category for Self Employed with a registered business, it is required to have the to licenses/permits you are talking about. What is recommended is to have a legal structure (SRL) for this purpose, as it will also allow you to have some tax benefits.

Outlier; I want to apply under - residency for self employed option (not with a registred business) and I was told I dont need to set up a corporation for this. If I dont need the municipal permits neither, than how do I set up my self employed business? I get a SRL? Or were you suggesting that for the other category? Now im really lost. Help!

PuraVida2,

I am curious about your initial question, because you said that you were told? Told by whom? Are you trying to put the application together by yourself? If that is the case, I suggest looking into the application requirements. If you are doing the Temporary Residency as Specialized Self Employed category, then you do not need to obtain licenses, permits or corporations. The only registration requirement is to register with the revenue service. As noted in my previous comment, it makes sense to get an SRL because you will get some tax benefits. If you do business as an individual, you wind up paying more taxes than doing business through a corporation. However, from an immigration perspective, it is not required to get a corporation to apply under this category.

That is as much as I can tell you. If you are having trouble, my suggestion is to consult with an attorney, or if you do not have an attorney, then review the law in order to confirm your requirements.

Outlier; that helps me mucho. im doing this by myself and a local business owner told me about the permits. i talked to lots of people and read tons of websites, but i always get different information. I will find someone who can help me translate the application requirement.s

Im so happy i found this blog!

pura vida!

Outlier, when applying under the 'Temporary Residency as Specialized Self Employed' category, I understand that this renewable, year long special permit, does not count toward an application for Permanent residency after 3 years. Is this correct?
Does this also mean that they will have to pay the different rates for CAJA & INS as self-employed,  and of course towards a pension if under 55?

kholerias,

All Temporary Residencies can be turned into Permanent Residence after three years. There are two options for people who are self employed: A) The Temporary Residence as the Specialized Self Employed, B) the Special Category for Self Employed People with a Registered Business. The latter does not count for Permanent Residence, as it is a Special Category, which does not lead to residency.

Regarding Caja, all categories are required to pay into Caja, and everybody who pays into Caja do so based on income. If your question is refers to a different rate compared to pensionados, the answer is yes. The rates that they will need to pay into Caja are for both insurance and retirement.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks...I knew one of the permits did not lead, automatically,  to permanent residency.

I don't know whether the OP is under 55 but the rates now being charged for some Temporary residents is over $400 per month. :huh: that he may want to take into consideration, if indeed it affects him.

Further reading has lead me to this
" In order to obtain a work permit in Costa Rica you or the employer that will be hiring you will need to show that you have a set of skills which cannot be found locally in order to justify your work permit.   A work permit is NOT a residency category.    A work permit falls under the “Special Immigration Category” and allows you to remain in Costa Rica so long as the conditions of employment for which it was granted continue in effect.  Article 100 of the Immigration Law governs permits for worker with specific occupations. 
This category applies to salaried workers as well as to individuals who are self employed who are able to justify before the Department of Immigration that their services and expertise are required in Costa Rica" so it is obviously NOT a 'slam dunk' as not anyone/everyone with the intent to self-employed can gain this residency status
Taken in part from this website

Hi Guys

Please let me know about cost rica temporary residence permit rules
rentistvisa

i read can get trp if we can deposit usd 60000 in bank account and get letter
from bank of usd 2500 can be withdrawl every month for 2 years

some clarity required like if usd 2500 actually needs to be used in costa rica or just showing deposit is enough
and do any minimum period of stay is required in this program
after 3 years is it possible to apply permanent residence

also please share details of trp on enterpruner  business setup

thanks